JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I asked an FFL about why he won't recieve firearms from private individuals, and his reply was that some people do stupid things like shipping a loaded firearm.

Yikes! Though if the private individual does something stupid, it is on them, not the FFL. I had one some months ago; I called ATF and they said basically "You do business as usual. But do you have the contact information of the private seller? We want to call them." I'm sure that moron experienced some pucker factor. :p

This is why you see people state in their ads "Your FFL must accept shipping from private party."

Indeed. Too bad some FFLs need to pull their head out of the behind. So sick of dealing with folks that don't grasp pretty basic, easily accessible laws and regulations.

(In my "day job", I work as a programmer in financial tech. There are, literally, Federal instructional and specification documents well over the length of War and Peace. That crap can get complex. Accessing ATF FAQs is not. :rolleyes:)

Indeed. Too bad some FFLs need to pull their head out of the behind. So sick of dealing with folks that don't grasp pretty basic, easily accessible laws and regulations.

(In my "day job", I work as a programmer in financial tech. There are, literally, Federal instructional and specification documents well over the length of War and Peace. That crap can get complex. Accessing ATF FAQs is not. :rolleyes:)

I simple will not deal with ignorant FFL's or those that charge more than $25 to do a transfer. And why should I when there are plenty that know their business and aren't out to screw gun buyers because guns laws suck.

I simple will not deal with ignorant FFL's or those that charge more than $25 to do a transfer. And why should I when there are plenty that know their business and aren't out to screw gun buyers because guns laws suck.

Ditto. (I only charge $20 out the door; $10 to the OSP and $10 for the shop for paperwork crap. I think that is fair. And since I can read English, the regulations are understood. :p)

How many do you do a month on average?

Off-hand, here at the house, no idea. It seems to come in waves; totally dead at times, others lots. (It is just a side business I do in the afternoons, almost all the overhead is covered by the primary venture, so don't really give a rip. Oh, I love greenbacks, but it is good to be able to offer the community quick and easy transfers, instead of dealing with the other brain-dead venues in this area.)

Just curious, as I was talking to the counter person doing a BGC for me a week ago in Tigard and he told me that they were the third highest in the state and someone in Southern Oregon down near the border was second in numbers.
He also told me that three ATF agents had showed up the week before and asked to see their books.
It took them five days to go through all of them and they passed with flying colors.

Last Edited:
You are 100% correct. However......

SOME FFL people like to spread the wealth. Claiming FFL to FFL is the ONLY WAY. You know.....attempting to enrich the "other FFL". Though, I guess some may have run into problems in the past. So.....they just prefer dealing with another FFL, instead of a private party. Which is a business choice to make.

Then, depending on the states involved.....there might be a state law that prohibits the practice. CA laws are ______.

For me.......THAT is just one reason why it pays to shop around and have a "good/dependable FFL" to work with. For both buying and selling.

BTW.....IMHO, it's always best to ask your FFL, first, about the TOTAL CHARGES. Things may change, so ask before you commit yourself.

There are bad FFLs out there. Make sure you know what you're getting. Like once, an FFL was gonna charge me double (on a lever rifle), for a simple transfer. The seller was in OR and I (WA resident) was gonna drive down there to have the paperwork done. Maybe, the FFL wanted to buy the rifle from the seller for himself and wanted to nix the sale? BTW, the seller picked the FFL. If I knew his town, maybe I could have given him a recommendation? Whatever. At any rate....that sale, was a no sale.

Then, I also almost had to deal with an FFL who liked to play with defining "costs": transfer fees, BGC, taxes, special dis or that, etc....

And, since we are on the subject of FFLs and fees......ask about "multiple sales" (if that is your thing). Some FFLs like to change you x times the number of firearms. Even though, it's just another line on the same Form 4473. Some, might/may just discount the fees on a subsequent firearm after the first (up to a limit). Maybe it's worth it? Maybe not? You decide, who you want to deal with.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top