JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm shipping a rifle, AK style, to a buyer in California. Transfer via FFL of course. I know they are picky down there regarding magazine sizes and all that. So I'm just selling the bare rifle. I asked the buyer to look up an FFL convenient for him. Is there a way for me to verify that thee FFL is good? This is the 1st time I'm selling a gun online so I'm trying to cover all bases. Any other concerns, shipping, ....

Any 2cents welcome.

You can verify the FFL on the ATF's website....It would be easier to de-mil the gun and sell it as a parts kit...otherwise, it's a PITA selling into CA, make sure the dealer is willing to accept from out of state, non-FFLs and the gun can be shipped there, some are banned by name, model #, looks...ect...

Danger Will Robinson Danger

As the other guys have said you best KNOW that the rifle you are selling can be owned in CA BEFORE you ship it. If I were you I would seek out a large FFL brick and motar shop and give them a call. You might also spend a few days reading all the rules and crap on the State Of California Dept of Justice web sight where they list the 1400 rules regulations and LAWS you will need to follow before that weapon can be shipped there.

There are some good resources on the OpenCarry (California section) and CalGuns sites. Off the top of my head, "Assault Rifles" can't have detachable magazines. There is a device called the Bullet Button that gets around this. Magazine capacity is also an issue. No mods on the gun will help you a lot, since they have all kinds of crazy laws on what you can or can't put on the gun, how many "features" you can have, etc., etc. It's going to take some research.

Or you might consider poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick. It will probably be less painful. If I were to move back there now, I'd have to take all of the fun stuff off of a few of my favorite guns and then hobble them with ridiculous modifications so that some politician doesn't wet his pants. Then I'd have to ditch a couple dozen magazines. Then I'd have to spend a few hours reviewing how to cross the state line with them in my possession. Then a few more days on how to register them. And I'd have to look up what kind of safe I'm required to keep them in. And give up any hope of being allowed to actually carry one on my person. Now where did I put that sharp stick?

My 2 cents

My advice would be cancel the CA transaction and sell the gun in the same state you live in to someone who lives in the same state. A local sale is much easier than shipping out of state, especially if you are not familiar with the laws. Forums can be a real good source of information and help point you in the right direction but take everyone’s comments with a grain of salt, including mine

If you still want to proceed with the sales in CA, I’d call a local Oregon FFL who ships firearms to CA and talk to them about what you want to do and then call the receiving FFL and talk to them about what can and can not be shipped/imported to CA.

Hope it all works out for you!

Good luck!
Gun Mechanic

I wouldn't ship ANYTHING (well, maybe a box full of large dog poop) to Kommiefornia, especially not a firearm!

I've had to return some Internet purchases where there was a defective/wrong item to a CA address. No, I didn't include any dog poop. Still better than waiting on something from Jersey.

Yah, and we're headed down there to visit friends in a while. I'll have to leave some of my favorites home! Like my AK pistol (outlawed too scary), my AK-74 (outlawed too scary), my Taurus Judge (outlawed as an SBS), my AR (outlawed too scary), my KT SU16C (outlawed can be fired with stock folded), etc.....

Yah, and we're headed down ther to visit friends in a while. I'll have to leave some of my favorites home! Like my AK pistol (outlawed too scary), my AK-74 (outlawed too scary), my Taurus Judge (outlawed as an SBS), my AR (outlawed too scary), my KT SU16C (outlawed can be fired with stock folded), etc.....

California motto: Don't get too attached to that gun; we're trying to ban it.

I just told my son I needed my 270 so I didn't have to send it to him in CA.
My local shop says there is WAY too many hoops to jump through.

You can't sell it up here? He was paying a premium,huh? (reads the gun is illegal down there and he's willing to buy it at way over cost)

Well if you can get internet in prison,tell us about your experience.LOL

He was paying a premium,huh? (reads the gun is illegal down there and he's willing to buy it at way over cost)
Verrrry interesting - I had a similar response to a gun I have for sale. I did not think twice about even taking the time to research the legalities of selling it to him.

I left with my AKs in 1991 after they were banned.. best be very careful or you will face extradition on felony charges. You do not want to experience a CA prison, gringo

Verrrry interesting - I had a similar response to a gun I have for sale. I did not think twice about even taking the time to research the legalities of selling it to him.

Half joking but I wouldn't bother selling to CA.If I happen to visit my kid and leave a BOLT GUN down there,I wouldn't worry.
My semi autos stay out of CA.(as do I mostly)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top