Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shipping rifle to California

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pinne65, Feb 21, 2012.

1. pinne65

pinne65 Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I'm shipping a rifle, AK style, to a buyer in California. Transfer via FFL of course. I know they are picky down there regarding magazine sizes and all that. So I'm just selling the bare rifle. I asked the buyer to look up an FFL convenient for him. Is there a way for me to verify that thee FFL is good? This is the 1st time I'm selling a gun online so I'm trying to cover all bases. Any other concerns, shipping, ....

Any 2cents welcome.

2. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

Do you have the CA required mod done to the rifle?

3. pinne65

No, what's that, plugging the barrel? J/K

Flopsweat and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

You can verify the FFL on the ATF's website....It would be easier to de-mil the gun and sell it as a parts kit...otherwise, it's a PITA selling into CA, make sure the dealer is willing to accept from out of state, non-FFLs and the gun can be shipped there, some are banned by name, model #, looks...ect...

5. pinne65

Thanks for the info! Crap, sounds like a lot of work...

6. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

I don't recall all the mods, but one for example is a magazine lock. For an AK it covers the mag release so you need a tool to remove the mag.

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Danger Will Robinson Danger

As the other guys have said you best KNOW that the rifle you are selling can be owned in CA BEFORE you ship it. If I were you I would seek out a large FFL brick and motar shop and give them a call. You might also spend a few days reading all the rules and crap on the State Of California Dept of Justice web sight where they list the 1400 rules regulations and LAWS you will need to follow before that weapon can be shipped there.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

There are some good resources on the OpenCarry (California section) and CalGuns sites. Off the top of my head, "Assault Rifles" can't have detachable magazines. There is a device called the Bullet Button that gets around this. Magazine capacity is also an issue. No mods on the gun will help you a lot, since they have all kinds of crazy laws on what you can or can't put on the gun, how many "features" you can have, etc., etc. It's going to take some research.

Or you might consider poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick. It will probably be less painful. If I were to move back there now, I'd have to take all of the fun stuff off of a few of my favorite guns and then hobble them with ridiculous modifications so that some politician doesn't wet his pants. Then I'd have to ditch a couple dozen magazines. Then I'd have to spend a few hours reviewing how to cross the state line with them in my possession. Then a few more days on how to register them. And I'd have to look up what kind of safe I'm required to keep them in. And give up any hope of being allowed to actually carry one on my person. Now where did I put that sharp stick?

9. Gun Mechanic

Gun Mechanic Portland Active Member

My 2 cents

My advice would be cancel the CA transaction and sell the gun in the same state you live in to someone who lives in the same state. A local sale is much easier than shipping out of state, especially if you are not familiar with the laws. Forums can be a real good source of information and help point you in the right direction but take everyone’s comments with a grain of salt, including mine

If you still want to proceed with the sales in CA, I’d call a local Oregon FFL who ships firearms to CA and talk to them about what you want to do and then call the receiving FFL and talk to them about what can and can not be shipped/imported to CA.

Hope it all works out for you!

Good luck!
    Gun Mechanic

10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I wouldn't ship ANYTHING (well, maybe a box full of large dog poop) to Kommiefornia, especially not a firearm!

11. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I've had to return some Internet purchases where there was a defective/wrong item to a CA address. No, I didn't include any dog poop. Still better than waiting on something from Jersey.

12. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

1. An AK rifle would have to have a "bullet button" installed before you ship it to California. Have the buyer ship one to you or make him pay for one that you have to buy, like this one RifleGear - AK47 Bullet Button
    2. Your shipping FFL will have to register with the California DOJ and obtain an authorization number before shipping to the California FFL. Both can be done free of charge and relatively easily and quickly online California Firearms Licensee Check System | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

However, some FFLs refuse to do that. There are FFLs who are willing to act as a middle man to help people sell to California Wont ship to California - Calguns.net

13. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ay chance you are getting the Idea what a Royal PAIN IN THE BEE HIND trying to sell an AK to California is?

14. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Yah, and we're headed down there to visit friends in a while. I'll have to leave some of my favorites home! Like my AK pistol (outlawed too scary), my AK-74 (outlawed too scary), my Taurus Judge (outlawed as an SBS), my AR (outlawed too scary), my KT SU16C (outlawed can be fired with stock folded), etc.....

15. pinne65

Yea, thanks guys I have given up on it. I'm thinking the buyer was maybe someone "Fast and Furious" looking to score.

16. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

California motto: Don't get too attached to that gun; we're trying to ban it.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I just told my son I needed my 270 so I didn't have to send it to him in CA.
    My local shop says there is WAY too many hoops to jump through.

You can't sell it up here? He was paying a premium,huh? (reads the gun is illegal down there and he's willing to buy it at way over cost)

Well if you can get internet in prison,tell us about your experience.LOL

18. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Verrrry interesting - I had a similar response to a gun I have for sale. I did not think twice about even taking the time to research the legalities of selling it to him.

19. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I left with my AKs in 1991 after they were banned.. best be very careful or you will face extradition on felony charges. You do not want to experience a CA prison, gringo

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  20. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Half joking but I wouldn't bother selling to CA.If I happen to visit my kid and leave a BOLT GUN down there,I wouldn't worry.
    My semi autos stay out of CA.(as do I mostly)