JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am sending a rifle in to the manufacturer to get some work done. I read a few articles and checked on the UPS website, and I think I have it figured out. I do have a few questions though.

According to UPS,
All firearms must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines.
I know guys ship in Pelican cases, so is this really their policy or just a common sense thing to do?

Also,
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).
So I can ship a rifle via regular ground?

When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk."
Does this mean there is no notification needed for rifles?

Right now it seems the easiest thing to do is to pack it up and schedule a pickup since UPS Stores don't accept firearms, only the UPS Customer Center hubs. Anything I'm missing?

I ship all my rifles through USPS because it's cheaper. I just tell them it's machined parts and get insurance. Policies, Procedures, and Forms Updates
Remember in section 12.2 c it states USPS recommends you follow 12.2 a, it's not required though. My FFL uses USPS and does exactly the same thing. With USPS there is no requirement that you specifically tell them it's a firearm, that's only when using a contract carrier like UPS or FEDEX. But do your own research with the link above and the link at the bottom of the page the link takes you to.

Your correct on everything above. I don't have an FFL, but ship rifles direct to FFL's once in a while and I have never told them it was a firearm, always have UPS pickup and usually buy a box or make my own. I don't know about the pelican case question. I would guess you could do it, but I don't think I would want my pelican case being tossed around. Plus the manufacturer might not want you sending it that way. It would mean they would have to keep track of your case through the process and then ship it back that way which would add a ton of $$ to the shipping cost vs heavy duty cardboard box.

I am sending a rifle in to the manufacturer to get some work done. I read a few articles and checked on the UPS website, and I think I have it figured out. I do have a few questions though.

According to UPS,

I know guys ship in Pelican cases, so is this really their policy or just a common sense thing to do?

Also,

So I can ship a rifle via regular ground?

Does this mean there is no notification needed for rifles?

Right now it seems the easiest thing to do is to pack it up and schedule a pickup since UPS Stores don't accept firearms, only the UPS Customer Center hubs. Anything I'm missing?
UPS is picky on the outer container being up to the task in protecting the contents for the ride they are going to give it and the numerous times it will be dropped. If this is on your dime, you are paying for size and weight, I would skip the hard case if you still had the factory box and could put that inside a good outer box. I am breaking these shipment boxes down all the time and I imagine your local gun store or gunsmith would be willing to give you a suitable box for free or very little cost.

Go crazy with the tape! All the corners and seams should be sealed.

Don't forget Insurance!

Rifles always go ground, expect one week to cross the country.

The folks at the hubs are the right ones to hand it over to and you want them to know you are sending a rifle back to the manufacture and they may give you a little extra care. If you take some of the corners as hinted at above and drop it off at a store location they will owe you nothing when it gets lost and you file an insurance claim. It should not hint anywhere on the box as to what is inside.

Good luck!

I go behind appliance stores and raid their cardboard recycle dumpsters for refrigerator sized pieces.
I then make a triangle shaped box for the rifle which I have wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap and with a little cardboard cap over the muzzle
A triangle configured cardboard box will always be placed on top of flat boxes and they don't bend very easy.
Also, I use a big enough sheet of cardboard to double wall the three sides after tucking in the odd shaped ends as I go.

Last Edited:
I go behind appliance stores and raid their cardboard recycle dumpsters for refrigerator sized pieces.
I then make a triangle shaped box for the rifle which I have wrap in a lot of bubble wrap and with a little cardboard cap over the muzzle
A triangle configured cardboard box will always be placed on top of flat boxes and they don't bend very easy.
Also, I use a big enough sheet of cardboard to double wall the three sides after tucking in the odd shaped ends as I go.
That is hardcore.

2 rifles "lost" by usps. YMMV

I can believe it, Ive had to hand deliver at least 3 different boxes left on my doorstep to the same neighbor about 4 houses down even though his house number is correctly stated on the box. I could just imagine someone finding a long box in their door with a shipping label saying its coming from Remington Arms...

another thing. I recently had to ship a gun under warranty repair and even though they pay for the shipping label their default shipping insurance was only half the value of the gun. I called the manufacturer on that and they said thats all they will do because they've never had a problem. o_O

I've shipped to a gun smith before, both rifles went into a pelican case and then I wrapped that in cardboard.
Shipped a rifle back to smith and Wesson recently, simply sent it in the box.
Also had one go back to browning recently, we made a foam core for that one and wrapped it in cardboard.

Gun smith guns were sent via my UPS account and I insured them. Paperwork required the driver to sign and give me a copy.
Same with the smith and Wesson gun except they went via fed ex.
Browning was originally to go UPS on their dime. When they sent me the label, it had no insurance on it. I called them back and questioned it, they said no problem and s not me a new label with insurance.
Recently had an old gun shipped to my ffl, guy sent it via USPS. Not sure if it was insured or not.
Lots of ways to do it, and it happens everyday.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top