JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Well, my Google-fu has not been good to me this evening.

I am trying to find any information regarding shipping a pistol back to the manufacturer for repair. I am a non-licensee (I do not have an FFL license).

I am wondering if I can ship it to the manufacturer via USPS. I know FFL's can us USPS to ship pistols, but can I use it to ship to the manufacturer?

I found where it is OK for me (a non-licensee) can ship long-guns (shotguns and rifles) via USPS, and the do's and don't on ATF's website. This is what I found on the ATF's website (Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives)

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

So, with this being ATF's stance, is it assumed that the manufacturer of firearms has an FFL license (a licensee), and I AM able to use USPS to ship it to them?

I know this had to have been covered on this site, and I have also been searching this site for the same info, with no luck either.

If anyone can post a thread from this site, or a link to the ATF reg, it would be greatly appreciated.

I would prefer to NOT pay $100 to ship the pistol via UPS, and save money by using USPS.

I know, I know, some of you are thinking "contact the manufacturer and make them send you a prepaid........" Well, this particular manufacturer and their stance is to send it to them "freight prepaid" for warranty work. (finding this out recently, this will be my last and only firearm made by them! :mad:)

Thanks!

I received this tip from Accurate Plating and Weaponry on how to ship a pistol to them for plating, and save having to ship overnight via UPS: About $39 each way vs the $100 you mention.
QUOTE:
Check out www.shipmygun.com to save some money on shipping. Many of our customers use it to be able to ship 2 day instead of overnight if you take it directly to UPS.
ENDQUOTE

Hope this helps...

Non FFL can not use USPS. Hell, most USPS hubs will even give a FFL holder a hard time trying to ship a pistol.

A pistol, should not cost $100 to ship via UPS. Next day air savor, with adult signature should be about 20-40.

Do not use a UPS store, they are franchises and do not represent UPS well. Find an actual UPS facility and ship it from there.

Non FFL can not use USPS. Hell, most USPS hubs will even give a FFL holder a hard time trying to ship a pistol.

Yup. Of the various of local, state, and federal agencies I dealt with when becoming and starting work as an FFL, USPS was easily the most obnoxious. It took several trips and some phone calls for them to remove their head from their posterior and understand their own god damn regulations. :rolleyes:

USPS had details here.

This explains it.....

432.23 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

Thanks!

:s0155:

Being this has been answered, i am poking around trying to figure out how to close/lock a thread.

A little help please.....? :confused:

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top