JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I searched the forum and came up empty handed, so pardon me if this is somehow commonly available knowledge.

I have a potential buyer for a handgun I'm selling, but as they live quite a bit of a drive away from me, I'd like to mitigate both the gas expense of them driving to me, and the possibility that they may have to wait for the FFL check and end up driving out again.

Can anyone explain or direct me to extant information on how I'd go about shipping the handgun through the proper legal channels to make the sale easier on us both?

Thanks!

While there is legalese here is ATF's state statute listing and you can see exactly what OR's statutes state, without anybody's 'i think this is right' or 'i have heard you can do it this way' or 'i have a friend who did it this way'.

of interest is 166.xxx about page 14 in the first cite.

https://www.atf.gov/docs/undefined/firearmsstatutesandcodes-oregonpdf/download

State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms (32nd Edition) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
tl/dr :D
I've sent a number of long guns myself and had an FFL send a couple hand guns for me. Just had the guy have his FFL fax or email a copy of their license to my FFL. My guy boxed it up and sent it 2-3 day priority (to NC). Both cost $27-$28 IIRC, can't remember if that included insurance.

I did send a handgun myself once but it had to go Overnight and cost $90.

tl/dr :D
I've sent a number of long guns myself and had an FFL send a couple hand guns for me. Just had the guy have his FFL fax or email a copy of their license to my FFL. My guy boxed it up and sent it 2-3 day priority (to NC). Both cost $27-$28 IIRC, can't remember if that included insurance.

I did send a handgun myself once but it had to go Overnight and cost $90.

So basically I should just call my FFL, ask them if they'll ship for me, and if so get my buyer to have his FFL email a copy of his license to them?

The government has really screwed this up it used to be so simple but now when you sale a gun YOU LOSE MONEY YOUR FFL LOSE MONEY AND THE OTHER GUY'S FFL LOSE MONEY OR THEY BREAK EVEN .

Looks like the sale is bust, but now I know for future reference. Thanks y'all!
As long as you are garnering knowledge for the future, might I suggest you continue to pursue the hypothetical and contact a nearby, willing and reputable FFL in person to pose your questions: FFL fees, their license #, shipping, contact info, forms and general procedures etc. Then, archive it for future use.
Especially helpful to know these things when trying to secure the proverbial "good deal" as we all know they are fleeting. The next time you are confronted with the issue you will exude confidence to a likely nervous and also usually an uninformed buyer/ seller.

The government has really screwed this up it used to be so simple but now when you sale a gun YOU LOSE MONEY YOUR FFL LOSE MONEY AND THE OTHER GUY'S FFL LOSE MONEY OR THEY BREAK EVEN .

Very true EPS, not only that but if shipped to Wa you have to pay the FFL as wll as sales tax on both the shipping and price of the firearm...

Some FFL's don't collect the sales tax on shipping because they are not aware, but if their books are checked by the state...!!!

Very true EPS, not only that but if shipped to Wa you have to pay the FFL as wll as sales tax on both the shipping and price of the firearm...

Some FFL's don't collect the sales tax on shipping because they are not aware, but if their books are checked by the state...!!!
Under most recent law purchases between private parties are exempt from sales or use tax. Purchase from a retail dealer or distributor does require sales tax.

how did it used to be? why does everyone lose money now?
Well you could just say im going to sell my 357 mag hand gun for $800 bucks and you could sale it for 800 bucks NOW YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE THE 30 TO 50 DOLLAR TRANSFER FEE OR MORE THAT'S HOW EVERYBODY LOSE MONEY SOMEONE IS GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE TRSNTRAN FEE buyer seller or the FFL

Under most recent law purchases between private parties are exempt from sales or use tax. Purchase from a retail dealer or distributor does require sales tax.
Im not sure but if you go through a gun store they ring in a sale of 35 bucks for a transfer they pay the taxes on the 35 bucks hence the FFL lose money

True for Private party face to face transfers at the local FFL, but when it's shipped in sales tax gets collected and paid for by the individual receiving the firearm...

My last transaction about a week ago charged me sales tax, thus if any info saying different I'd love to get a copy or send a link for my reference.

Thanks...:D

As long as you are garnering knowledge for the future, might I suggest you continue to pursue the hypothetical and contact a nearby, willing and reputable FFL in person to pose your questions: FFL fees, their license #, shipping, contact info, forms and general procedures etc. Then, archive it for future use.
Especially helpful to know these things when trying to secure the proverbial "good deal" as we all know they are fleeting. The next time you are confronted with the issue you will exude confidence to a likely nervous and also usually an uninformed buyer/ seller.
Very good idea. I very much appreciate the advice.

While there is legalese here is ATF's state statute listing and you can see exactly what OR's statutes state, without anybody's 'i think this is right' or 'i have heard you can do it this way' or 'i have a friend who did it this way'.

of interest is 166.xxx about page 14 in the first cite.

https://www.atf.gov/docs/undefined/firearmsstatutesandcodes-oregonpdf/download

State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms (32nd Edition) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Hummm..maybe i am psychic about my predictions

Huh!

Hummm..maybe i am psychic about my predictions
You called it. Also, thankyou. The pertinent information from the PDF you posted is as follows:
166.435, section 3
(b) If the transferor and the transferee reside over 40 miles from each other, the transferor may ship or deliver the firearm to a gun dealer located near the transferee or a gun dealer designated by the transferee, and the transferor need not appear before the gun dealer in person.

(c) A gun dealer who agrees to complete a transfer of a firearm under this section shall request a criminal history record check on the transferee as described in ORS 166.412 and shall comply with all requirements of federal law.

(d) If, upon completion of a criminal background check, the gun dealer:
(A) Receives a unique approval number from the Department of State Police indicating that the transferee is qualified to complete the transfer, the gun dealer shall notify the transferor, enter the firearm into the gun dealer's inventory and transfer the firearm to the transferee.

True for Private party face to face transfers at the local FFL, but when it's shipped in sales tax gets collected and paid for by the individual receiving the firearm...

My last transaction about a week ago charged me sales tax, thus if any info saying different I'd love to get a copy or send a link for my reference.

Thanks...:D
Section 10 of I 594 reads: A new section is added to chapter 82.08 RCW to read as follows: The tax imposed by RCW 82.08.020 does not apply to the sale or transfer of any firearms between two unlicensed persons if the unlicensed persons have complied with all background check requirements of chapter 9.41 RCW. Section 11 also makes changes to RCW 82.12.040 eliminating sales tax between private party purchases. A purchase from an out of state ffl retail business is still taxed. I heard there is a dealer in Sequim still charging sales tax as the old law required before I 594 but he is not correct in doing so for private party sales. My dealer in Port Angeles does not collect tax on private party sales.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top