Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shipping or storage containers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kenr74, Feb 18, 2016.

1. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

I am looking at moving and would need to put pretty much all of my possessions in storage for a while. Has anybody used PODS or just a shipping container company? Looks like a good option but I keep reading about horror stories about high unexpected bills or basically having your stuff held for ransom until you give in to the companies demands.

2. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I would just rent a storage unit. Pods are good for long transit moves and when you're remodeling your house and need quick access to yor stuff. I had two storage units that I rent, the smallest is around $40 a month (when I got it), held quite a bit of stuff, but was just a glorified broom closet.

3. USMC-03

USMC-03 Moscow on the Willamette (i.e. Portland, Oregon) Well-Known Member

Used Pods for our last move; great service and very convenient. About the same cost as renting a moving van twice and storage unit for the three months between houses and eliminated one load/unload from the whole process.

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I examined my neighbors POD when he rented it. Not sure I would place anything I really valued in one. Certainly not guns or ammo, etc!

Dyjital likes this.
  5. USMC-03

USMC-03 Moscow on the Willamette (i.e. Portland, Oregon) Well-Known Member

True that...

6. The Nothing

The Nothing PDX Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I used PODS back when they first came around. It was the only solution for me as I was moving out of my apartment at the same time I was going to be out of town on business for 6 weeks before moving into the new place. Worked out great for me and was cheaper than renting a UHaul a couple times and a storage unit. Leaving the POD onsite for a couple days also made the physical moving easier.

7. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

PODS are carp and a money sink.

Storage Units a money sink.

Storage Containers are expensive to have moved and resale.

=======•==

IMO you can't do better then a huge cargo trailer (or 2 even). Find them used and in decent condition for a good price. Fill them.

If you can't tow one, there are lots of insured people on CL that will relocate a trailer for about $60 (I'm sure that depends on how far your going).

Keep them as long as you need/want and then resale them easily anywhere in the PNW on CL. I bought one for $1800, kept it for about 5 years and sold it for $2000 - so I would say I paid for the tags for 5 years on it (I was using it) and broke even or came out a bit ahead.

That's my advice having moved locally in the area of 20 times personally.

========

Now a true story.

My parents got a POD to move with.

Fast forward 6 years later and they were still paying for it before I could convince my mom to go with me and buy a trailer when my dad was out of town. Paid $450 for it.

Had the pod delivered and put most of it in that little trailer and a bit in the garage.

3 years later and they finally got to emptying the trailer and I sold it same day for $550 - never registered it cuz it wasn't driven.

Now my parents can be lazy and stupid but even if you are not them, sometimes things take longer then planned. A trailer sitting in the drive way for free beats paying POD to hold your stuff plus all of the delivery and pick up fees.

Larrytpdx and Dyjital like this.
  8. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

We've used one of the big carriers equivalent of a POD. Was really disappointed to find the side of an antique dresser delaminating because of a leak in the container. Just be aware of the general condition of the container.

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I think PODS are cool to smuggle shifty people over the border in... accross the desert... in summer... through the mountains. ;)

308 and Dyjital like this.
  10. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

johnny bob likes this.
  11. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

^^^ ABF is what we used. Just make sure you do a good inspection.

12. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

That's what I do nowadays. Money is A LOT BETTER :D

13. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good advice:D

14. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How much stuff are you talking about?

15. kenr74

3 bedroom house and a 3 bay shop. Just short of a bubblegum ton of stuff. I thought about a storage place but that would be pretty spendy. Thought about buying a used Uhaul but would likely need 2. Pods are a maybe but after reading some bad reviews I'm not so sure on that. Shipping container looked interesting.

16. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Shipping containers need to be packed real tight if you're going to avoid damaging the contents inside when moving it from one location to another.
    A watertight 40' semi trailer with functioning wheels is the optimal storage/moving container in my opinion.
    Other then getting the contents up a ramp and into the trailer, once it's packed and locked and then hauled to a secure storage area, it's always ready to travel across country if need be.
    I've seen them sell for less then $3,000 and you can always sell it when you're moved.

17. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I used PODs when I moved here from Seattle.

It was convenient because I could load and unload in my own time.

I did make a mistake in not securing what I had loaded and some of it shifted against the door and it took a bit to get it open. I had tied stuff down, but I didn't do a good enough job.

I do remember they don't like you to load ammo or powder or anything flammable - as in they say they don't allow it, but they never knew that I had loaded ammo into it.

18. kenr74

I decided to bite the bullet and just move into storage. Sounded ok until I called around and nobody has anything bigger than a 10x10 available. Doh! Back to the container idea.

I kind of like the shipping container idea since I could use it as storage afterwards on property.

Joe13 likes this.
  19. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That's what I used mine for, long term dry storage shed.

If your in the PDX metro area, look on CL for storage containers. There a few company's that sell "used" they only say it's water tight may be beat up a bit, and "once used", mine was like new except for a couple very small scratches on the bottom outside corners. The floor looks brand new except for a couple very superficial scuffs here and there but twice the price.

I paid for a newer one, you get to go look thru the yard and they move them in and out weekly so you can keep looking, because I wanted one my neighbors wouldn't have a stroke over. You can get a couple different colors as well depending on when and what company you go with.

Good Luck on the search!

20. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I got two 40' containers for sale, pretty sure it would cost as much to get them to you as what I want for them :D

Joe13 likes this.