JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at moving and would need to put pretty much all of my possessions in storage for a while. Has anybody used PODS or just a shipping container company? Looks like a good option but I keep reading about horror stories about high unexpected bills or basically having your stuff held for ransom until you give in to the companies demands.

I would just rent a storage unit. Pods are good for long transit moves and when you're remodeling your house and need quick access to yor stuff. I had two storage units that I rent, the smallest is around $40 a month (when I got it), held quite a bit of stuff, but was just a glorified broom closet.

I used PODS back when they first came around. It was the only solution for me as I was moving out of my apartment at the same time I was going to be out of town on business for 6 weeks before moving into the new place. Worked out great for me and was cheaper than renting a UHaul a couple times and a storage unit. Leaving the POD onsite for a couple days also made the physical moving easier.

PODS are carp and a money sink.

Storage Units a money sink.

Storage Containers are expensive to have moved and resale.

=======•==

IMO you can't do better then a huge cargo trailer (or 2 even). Find them used and in decent condition for a good price. Fill them.

If you can't tow one, there are lots of insured people on CL that will relocate a trailer for about $60 (I'm sure that depends on how far your going).

Keep them as long as you need/want and then resale them easily anywhere in the PNW on CL. I bought one for $1800, kept it for about 5 years and sold it for $2000 - so I would say I paid for the tags for 5 years on it (I was using it) and broke even or came out a bit ahead.

That's my advice having moved locally in the area of 20 times personally.

========

Now a true story.

My parents got a POD to move with.

Fast forward 6 years later and they were still paying for it before I could convince my mom to go with me and buy a trailer when my dad was out of town. Paid $450 for it.

Had the pod delivered and put most of it in that little trailer and a bit in the garage.

3 years later and they finally got to emptying the trailer and I sold it same day for $550 - never registered it cuz it wasn't driven.

Now my parents can be lazy and stupid but even if you are not them, sometimes things take longer then planned. A trailer sitting in the drive way for free beats paying POD to hold your stuff plus all of the delivery and pick up fees.

We've used one of the big carriers equivalent of a POD. Was really disappointed to find the side of an antique dresser delaminating because of a leak in the container. Just be aware of the general condition of the container.

How much stuff are you talking about?

3 bedroom house and a 3 bay shop. Just short of a bubblegum ton of stuff. I thought about a storage place but that would be pretty spendy. Thought about buying a used Uhaul but would likely need 2. Pods are a maybe but after reading some bad reviews I'm not so sure on that. Shipping container looked interesting.

Shipping containers need to be packed real tight if you're going to avoid damaging the contents inside when moving it from one location to another.
A watertight 40' semi trailer with functioning wheels is the optimal storage/moving container in my opinion.
Other then getting the contents up a ramp and into the trailer, once it's packed and locked and then hauled to a secure storage area, it's always ready to travel across country if need be.
I've seen them sell for less then $3,000 and you can always sell it when you're moved.

I used PODs when I moved here from Seattle.

It was convenient because I could load and unload in my own time.

I did make a mistake in not securing what I had loaded and some of it shifted against the door and it took a bit to get it open. I had tied stuff down, but I didn't do a good enough job.

I do remember they don't like you to load ammo or powder or anything flammable - as in they say they don't allow it, but they never knew that I had loaded ammo into it.

I decided to bite the bullet and just move into storage. Sounded ok until I called around and nobody has anything bigger than a 10x10 available. Doh! Back to the container idea.

I kind of like the shipping container idea since I could use it as storage afterwards on property.

That's what I used mine for, long term dry storage shed.

If your in the PDX metro area, look on CL for storage containers. There a few company's that sell "used" they only say it's water tight may be beat up a bit, and "once used", mine was like new except for a couple very small scratches on the bottom outside corners. The floor looks brand new except for a couple very superficial scuffs here and there but twice the price.

I paid for a newer one, you get to go look thru the yard and they move them in and out weekly so you can keep looking, because I wanted one my neighbors wouldn't have a stroke over. You can get a couple different colors as well depending on when and what company you go with.

Good Luck on the search!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads