JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I moved up here about a year ago from Louisiana. I left a few guns with my father-in-law when I left as I didn't know what my living situation would be when I got up here. So now I would like to get them here......they already belong to me.....so could they be shipped directly to me? I know if I was back in LA I could ship them to myself here in WA, but can my father-in-law ship them to me here in WA?

It would seem stupid to have to send them to an FFL to transfer them to myself.....but I don't make the laws.....

Any educated input?

This is UPS's policy...

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States), law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.

Meaning that it SHOULD be ok. Googling this very question I got a lot of people saying "no". When I shipped a firearm through Fedex, they told me that it had to be an FFL and it had to be in their system (it went back to the manufacturer). I'd give them a call, what's the worst they can say? "No"?

I guess you have to put yourself in their shoes. You're having another person mail you a firearm that you claim is your's. UPS/FedEx can't verify this and for all they know, you bought a gun online from some dude and want it shipped without having to go through an FFL....so I'd see why they'd tell you to go pound sand and go through an FFL.

Good luck!

What's inside the package is none of their business as long as it's not a danger to them. If it is then it should be clearly marked such as ammo when it's shipped via ground. They're a shipping company, not the TSA, JD, FBI, HS.

I've shipped guns I've owned-both purchased at gun stores with background checks, etc.-out of state
via FedEx and UPS back to their respective factories for repair without going through a FFL.

One, a Walther, was shipped via FedEx to the Walther-S&W factory using a prepaid 2nd Day shipping label that Walther-S&W emailed me. I was instructed by Walther-S&W to call FedEx to arrange a pickup at my home. The pickup truck arrived and when asked what was in the package, I told the driver. He got very flustered, called his supervisor, got the okay, and took the package away. About two weeks or so later I got the package back, via FedEx delivery to my home. I had to sign for the package.

My Sig I sent via UPS. I was emailed a prepaid UPS next day air shipping label. I slapped this on the package and took it to the main UPS service center on Swan Island because Sig Sauer warned in their email that the UPS stores may not accept the package.

When I arrived at UPS I was asked what was in the package, I told them, was given a receipt and was on my way. In less than two weeks I received my pistol back from Sig Sauer-via FedEx this time. Of course, I had to sign for it.

It appears from these experiences that you can ship out of state firearms that you own via at least the above carriers without an FFL. Now, personally, I don't think that the fact that I had prepaid shipping labels from Sig Sauer and Walther-S&W was the factor that enabled me to ship my pistols without an FFL. But we'll see, because I plan to ship another pistol out of state for repair and this time the repair person is not going to send me a prepaid shipping label. Will keep you posted.

Well......I just spent an hour reading through the laws and I don't see anything saying I can't do it. I packaged and addressed the guns before I left so all my father-in-law has to do is drop them off........

Well......I just spent an hour reading through the laws and I don't see anything saying I can't do it. I packaged and addressed the guns before I left so all my father-in-law has to do is drop them off........

Those federal firearms laws are nice and short aren't they?:s0114:

What's inside the package is none of their business as long as it's not a danger to them. If it is then it should be clearly marked such as ammo when it's shipped via ground. They're a shipping company, not the TSA, JD, FBI, HS.

While that may be true it is a Federal law that you are Required to tell them. If you are willing to break Federal law then that is fine.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

While that may be true it is a Federal law that you are Required to tell them. If you are willing to break Federal law then that is fine.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

So...either break a Federal law (whoop-de-doo!) and not tell them or notify and run the risk of your package being earmarked and subsequently stolen?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top