JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend showed me a fairly new show about a family that is working out ways to live better after SHTF. It is on GBTV (Goggle it) on the Internet and the episode I watched showed the family digging out a spot next to the house for a shipping container. They are not going to bury the container, but build a greenhouse on top of it for concealment. Anyone else have experience with shipping containers for storage or bunkers?

Looks like the guys plan may work. The guy put a load of drain rock under the container and looks like he will not try to cover it with dirt. I have only found one You Tube video that does an underground shipping container right so this GBTV show was entertaining and somewhat though provoking.

If you only enjoy serious survival stuff don't watch this show, it's only for entertainment purposes. This show is more of a fun show than serious prepper/survival.

With the National Geographic also airing survival shows I now have things to watch while the wife watches her stuff (she likes this stuff too).

PEA GRAVEL PEA GRAVEL to back fill with.But some 1" drain rock or quarry spalls underneath.The quarry rock will solidify the ground better and if it's kept clean it will drain perfect.

But then you either need MarkW to drop the rock off or the driver and dispatcher know where your conex is
I'm guessing he isn't importing as to remain hidden,so maybe a dump trailer?

He will always have water problems if he didn't seal the outside before burying.The water will fill up next to the containers,since the dirt will be the softest there,creating pressure and causing leaks.Either a roofing sealant or some type of plastic over the containers would be best.

Then I would buy some timbers to put across kitty corner,to assure that the containers won't get twisted while back filling.

That pipe he is using for his escape tunnel is really slick inside.Hope he is putting some sort of traction in there.

I think having a drainage system in place is a great idea, but if it you happen to have property that is a little hilly, I would suggest putting in a contineous gravity drain system, draining into a pond, creek or other area would work out better than a sump pump system

Anyone who has a basement in Seattle could spot the obvious problem in that first video as mjbskwim noted. Not sealing the outside of a buried structure is a boneheaded move, unless you want an underground swimming pool. You can't really solve water intrusion issues from the inside out. They could have saved themselves so much trouble by sealing it with a plastic water barrier and adding good footing drains to carry the water away.

I've also learned first hand it is better to rely on gravity drainage than sump pumps. Electricity often fails at the worst time during a heavy storm. If gravity fails, all bets are off.

I bet he's had people tell him to dig the dirt out and start over.
If you are doing that big of project and excavating that much already,you can make a gravity system.

We would make burritos!! Only with gravel and no Coronas.
You dig your area out,lay down HALF of your fabric that keeps the dirt out of the drain rock,Keeping extra on both sides.Dump your drain rock and wrap the extra over it.Makes a huge drain field.This would take away most of the water and keep it from building pressure around the container.
Lay out as big of one as you can do with ,money room,amount of water and practicality in mind. No need to make it 3000 sf if you are on the east side away from water sources.
Down by Pe Ell you may need quite a bit.
But you have to pick your land and location for the container wisely too.The high ground will always help.
If your area for the container is only a foot wider than the container,you will save money on the gravel.The water will naturally drain around the soft dirt,so you could just use drain rock under neath the container to save a little also.But why when if done right,there will be much fewer problems in the future.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top