JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is she able to "send it to herself"? That's the easiest way I know of dealing with this sort of situation. She can simply box it up and go to fedex and send it to the address on her identification.

You can ship a long gun USPS and you don't have to tell them what it is; if they ask you can just tell them it is precision machined parts. You are only required to tell what it is when you ship through a contract carrier like ups. You can not ship handguns through USPS they have to be shipped by a contract carrier. You can simply ship the gun to yourself at whatever address you like as long as the person shipping it is the one to open it on the receiving end. There is no need for there to be matching addresses between your id and the ship to address. There is other threads on this forum with links to both the BATFE website and the USPS website on this very issue. Good luck.

USPS would probably be the best bet. I've met constant reluctance at UPS,Fed Ex, DHL, etc on shipping firearms to myself (don't trust airlines to fly it with me). Though I do win out in the end by calling up their chain of command till someone reads the company SOP, it might be time saved to just ship USPS for the rifle.

Be sure to ensure it nicely, and address it as 'in care of...'

Sounds like the rifle was property of the father and is being given to the son-in-law by the wife? What is the wife state of residency?

Shipping a gun across state lines will require it goes through an FFL unless the rifles ownership was transferred while both parties were residents of the same state.

For example.

If I give my son a rifle while he's living at home. Then he moves away. I can send him the rifle directly.

If my son moves away. Then I decide to buy him a rifle for his birthday and am going to send it to him. It has to go through an FFL.

This is my understanding anyway. It'd be wise to check the laws before shipping guns across state lines.

Good luck!

If it is a particularly valuable rifle Registered Mail is the best way to ship it. It minimizes the chance of damage or disappearance. The only thing is Registered Mail has special packaging requirements. It has to be sealed with brown paper tape only, not mylar packaging tape. The Post Office stamps the paper tape multiple times to discourage tampering.
Registered mail is very nice for sending items of a decent value. I like the fact it's segregated from regular mail and has a documented chain of custody.

Sounds like the rifle was property of the father and is being given to the son-in-law by the wife? What is the wife state of residency?

Shipping a gun across state lines will require it goes through an FFL unless the rifles ownership was transferred while both parties were residents of the same state.

For example.

If I give my son a rifle while he's living at home. Then he moves away. I can send him the rifle directly.

If my son moves away. Then I decide to buy him a rifle for his birthday and am going to send it to him. It has to go through an FFL.

This is my understanding anyway. It'd be wise to check the laws before shipping guns across state lines.

Good luck!

I think she lives with her Hubby, but went to Colorado to settle up her Dad's estate when he died, now she doesn't want the airline hassle when coming home. Sad way to get a gun, Condolences to the OP's Wife.

I think she lives with her Hubby, but went to Colorado to settle up her Dad's estate when he died, now she doesn't want the airline hassle when coming home. Sad way to get a gun, Condolences to the OP's Wife.

Bingo! and thanks for the kind words, I will pass them on.

he ( My Friends FIL) did not die just went to care home and will not be coming back, friend gets one "personal item".

Bingo! and thanks for the kind words, I will pass them on.

he ( My Friends FIL) did not die just went to care home and will not be coming back, friend gets one "personal item".

In this case, since the original owner is not deceased, the FFL must be involved with interstate movement. Changing owners across state lines etc....

In this case, since the original owner is not deceased, the FFL must be involved with interstate movement. Changing owners across state lines etc....

Huh? Is the gun registered? ?? ???

I fail to see where an FFL would be needed. The father-in-law changed ownership in his state, and the new owner wants to ship the firearm home instead of flying with it.

My Dad has a rifle he gave me in FL where I used to live. I kept it at his FL home for years and soon I want to get it to Oregon where I now live. I've planned to do this on my next visit to FL and send it to myself in the mail. He's still alive, I don't think thats a problem.

Ok, well, you guys do what you want to do. I know that any changing of ownership across state lines requires an FFL. That is the law, regardless of whether you want to obey it or not. Your peril.

18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts
(a) (5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to
transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to
any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the
transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not
reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business
entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in
which the transferor resides
; except that this paragraph shall
not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a
firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an
acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who
is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of
the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a
firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
purposes

18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts
emphasis added
The only legal way this MIGHT be done is if it falls within the bounds of being a "bequest" and can be shown to be done legally under the law.

I have the same dilemma. My 88 yr old dad wants to give me a very nice 22 rifle he has owned for 70 years and a 38 S&W revolver he has owned for 50 years. He lives in CA. They are not registered due to their age. While I could just pack them up and bring them back on the plane or ship them to myself, and there is a 99% chance everything would be OK, I am not about to risk becoming a felon to avoid the UPS shipping charge and the Oregon FFL transfer fees. I will pay these and sleep much better.

That law talks about transferring, I'm hoping to mail a gun to myself that I already own. There is no transfer. I talked to a gun shop owner who has done it many times but I'm going to do further research to avoid trouble. BTW old 38 S&W revolvers are awesome. I have a pre-model 10 myself.

If she has a hard case for it or wants to buy one and a couple of dimestore locks, (about the same as shipping) she can just take it on the plane in checked luggage.

Flying with guns is really easy unless you're scheduled to deplane someplace that's insane like NY or NJ.

That law talks about transferring, I'm hoping to mail a gun to myself that I already own. There is no transfer. I talked to a gun shop owner who has done it many times but I'm going to do further research to avoid trouble. BTW old 38 S&W revolvers are awesome. I have a pre-model 10 myself.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads