JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My future Son-in-Law was visiting Oregon from North Carolina where he is a County deputy. He received a S&W pre 1898 .22 short pistol from his uncle in Kent WA with missing hammer and firing pin.
As this is a non firing pistol does it require shipping from an FFL to his department's armorer or can I just ship it to the armorer?

Keeping in my mind, my answer is worth what you paid for it, the fact that it's non-firing has less bearing than the fact that it's pre-1898. Legally a firearm is the receiver or frame, so even a receiver or frame with no internal parts of any kind, no barrel, totally stripped (therefore very much "non-firing") is still a firearm and still subject to FFL transfer requirements. If it is however an antique (made before 1898) it does not require an FFL to be involved, even if it is in fully assembled, functional condition.

The pistol is still a firearm unless it has been certified deactivated or non functional by the BATFE. A broken firearm is still a firearm legally. Like raftman said, if it was actually made before 1898, you don't need an FFL. Weird law cause while antique guns may be rare and more expensive, they kill just as well as they did 112 years ago. I have a WInchester 1892 made in 1894. An antique but shoots and would kill someone just as dead as one made by Rossi last week... No logic in the laws, but obey them anyways... :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top