JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So.....

Was checking on the cost to ship a rifle to New Mexico via UPS, and they say it has to be next day air since it's a firearm, and it's gonna cost me over $253 !!!!

Am I missing something?

I know online sales and distributors don't pay anywhere CLOSE to that. What's the trick?

So.....

Was checking on the cost to ship a rifle to New Mexico via UPS, and they say it has to be next day air since it's a firearm, and it's gonna cost me over $253 !!!!

Am I missing something?

I know online sales and distributors don't pay anywhere CLOSE to that. What's the trick?

Because you told them what you are wanting to do. You will most likely also run into problems if you try to even pay that price. Many robots will flat out say no until you can find someone there who has a brain.
Why and who are you trying to ship the gun to? There are legal and far cheaper ways. Depends on what you are trying to do here.

Box it up, unloaded.
Bicycle parts must be unloaded.

This works BUT of course make sure what you are doing in LEGAL. The problem often is not the law, it's the rules the shippers throw up at you. You do still want to make sure you are not getting on the bad side of some Federal or state law. Often the shippers have robots working the counter who just go on tilt when you say "gun".

Go to a local gun shop and have them ship it. I was told only handguns have to go second day air. I shipped a revolver from OR to TN, paid for the FFL to pack it, and insured it, all for $67.

Or, ship it in two boxes. If it's a bolt action, send the bolt and magazine (if detachable) in one box, and the rifle-shaped paperweight in another.

And I think it has to go to an ffl, doesn't it?
Again it "depends". It does not always have to. Stuff like this is where the net gets scary. When people start asking for legal advice on firearms. People throw out all kinds of "stuff" and much of it is totally off the mark. If someone wants to ship a gun and is not sure? An FFL is a GREAT place to start with asking how.

An FFL can use the USPS for both handguns and long guns. The rest can use the USPS for long guns BUT, you still need to make sure you are doing things right. It's still a gun, not some non regulated item. Again an FFL is a great place to start with asking here.
I'm going to guess that a C&R was the difference...
Get an FFL and you will have less to worry about.

Update. The dumb broad at UPS was wrong. I read up on their website afterward, and the next day air was for PISTOLS.

I called her back and she argued with me. I told her the website said otherwise. She still argued. I said "I want to speak to your supervisor".

She said "ok, but they're going to tell you the same thing". I said ok. I still want to talk to your supervisor. She said ok, but it may take awhile to get connected. I said, that's fine. I'll wait.

On hold for 5 min and the same person came back on the line apologizing for her mistake.

Suddenly it's only $53+ to ship.... :D

And yes, it's being shipped to an FFL at the range where I'm attending a long range unknown distance class/course.

AS A SHIPPER - THE SHORT COURSE ON SHIPPING FIREARMS

***Declare all firearm shipments***AND***Unless prohibited by your state or local laws***

A Non-FFL Dealer, CAN ship a long gun (rifle or shotgun), via the US Mail or common/contract carrier (Fed Ex, UPS, etc.) to an FFL, back to the factory, or gunsmith, or out of state (to yourself), or to another non-prohibited person within your state.

A Non-FFL Dealer, CANNOT ship a handgun via the US Mail. However, the Non-FFL Dealer, MAY USE a common/contract carrier for handgun shipments…….to an FFL, back to the factory, or gunsmith, or out of state (to yourself), or to another non-prohibited person within your state.

That being said.....as a Non-FFL, I've found it cheaper, to take my handgun(s) to my FFL Dealer (even w/ his fee) and have the handgun(s) shipped via the USPS, registered mail and insured. YMWV.

For an FFL Dealer, a firearm (handgun or long gun) can be shipped by either the US Mail or common/contract carrier.

*The US Postal Service does NOT recognize a C&R Lic. (Collector Lic.), as being the same thing as an FFL (Dealer Lic.).

__________________________________________________ ____

The common carriers make their own rules on how they want firearms to be shipped (overnight, same day or whatever). Mostly it's because, they can't trust their employees w/ the possibility of THEFT. The shipping charges can quickly mount.

*THINGS MAY HAVE CHANGED* Because of poor training, some UPS and FedEx employees THINK that shipping of firearms is authorized ONLY between FFLs. That is just NOT true. Speak to the KNOWLEGABLE people. It's also a good idea to have a printed copy of their rules in hand, before going to the shipping center. *THINGS MAY HAVE CHANGED*
__________________________________________________ _____

DON'T TRY TO SKIRT THE LAW

Some people, may advise others to ship their firearms in pieces……."Parts are Parts." But, note what the BATF says: Frames or receivers of firearms are "firearms" as defined in the law and subject to the same controls as complete firearms.

You Have Been Warned.

SHIPPING TO AN FFL DEALER, WITHOUT A SIGNED INKED FFL IN YOUR HAND

The shipper/seller, for their protection, needs to verify the receiver is an FFL Dealer. They need to ask for the receiver's FFL Number.
The shipper should then go to this website to verify the license and address: ATF FFL Ez Check Site.
The shipper should print the screen they get.
They can then legally ship the firearm to the receiver, but only at the address verified at the Ez Check Site.
__________________________________________________ ____

IF YOU'RE THE BUYER OF A FIREARM (FROM ANOTHER STATE)

Since this is SALE of a firearm, the seller will ship the firearm to your FFL (not directly to you). Once the firearm is at your local FFL, the FFL will record it in his book, he'll be responsible to check you out. Making sure you're not a prohibited person, have followed your local and state laws, have paid the correct fees (if applicable), and of course filled out form 4473.

SHIPPING ANTIQUES

Under the Federal definition, an antique firearm (as described below) can be sent ANYWAY you like. But, local and state laws may vary, so remember to check them too.

Title 18, Section 921(a)(16) then defines "antique firearm" as follows:

The term "antique firearm" means -

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica -

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

And, from the ATF site, FAQ............

(A3) Do antique firearms come within the purview of the GCA? [Back]

No.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) and (16), 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.141(d)]

Advice for shipping an Antique Firearm.......

Ship them via the USPS, registered mail and insured. They are "antique firearms" and therefore are not controlled by the same laws as regular firearms.

c. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are
generally permitted as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.2.0.

Taken from the USPS Publication 52.

And, beware: Just because a firearm is a, "qualified C&R Firearm" it's NOT always, an "antique firearm."

I complied the above over the years from various websites. Special thanks to AR15.com.
Aloha, Mark

Check out Buds Guns new shipping department, it's called "Ship My Gun".
Go online to Ship My Gun, choose an FFl that you want to ship from their data base, weigh the shipping box and enter the weight in the appropriate box, enter where you're shipping from and it will automatically calculate what the shipping charges are depending if you're shipping a long gun or a handgun. You pay the fee online and then you print the label. It's going by Fed Ex.
You don't have to deal with getting the FFL's license as SMG already has it in their database.
I like to drop the package off at the airport as I live near it, but you can also elect to have a truck pick it up from your place.
The cost of shipping a handgun using next day air is half of what UPS charges.

Why aren't you locking it in your checked luggage? Just curious, when hubby went to New Mexico he packed and the locked gun case in luggage and declared it to the airline. Both ways from SeaTac.

Why aren't you locking it in your checked luggage? Just curious, when hubby went to New Mexico he packed and the locked gun case in luggage and declared it to the airline. Both ways from SeaTac.
If the case is oversized, it'll incur additional fees to the tune of $85-$100 each way. I think the case has to be 62" total which is calculated by adding the length, height and width. My case went over that number by several inches.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews