JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a Shield 9mm a few months back and wasn't impressed. Took me a bit of time to warm up to it. Now I like it enough that I bought the .40 at the sale Fishermans had last week.

@Glock - Get a S&W replacement barrel & mag - about $100 and you have 2 guns in one.

Some 3rd party barrels seem to have challenges with the conversion - much discussing on the S&W Forums.

@Glock - Get a S&W replacement barrel & mag - about $100 and you have 2 guns in one.

Some 3rd party barrels seem to have challenges with the conversion - much discussing on the S&W Forums.

Fairly certain you cant go from 9-40 but I know you can go 40-9. Not sure on the shields what the difference is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not a grip fan. Every glock I've own had hogus grips, I take them off.
I find that the extended mag is perfect for me.

I bought a Shield 9mm a few months back and wasn't impressed. Took me a bit of time to warm up to it. Now I like it enough that I bought the .40 at the sale Fishermans had last week.

I got off to a slow start with mine, too...but I just put new sights on it (the dot on my factory front sight had fallen off after about 100 rounds, which sucked) and gave it another chance...I'm shooting it much better than I was and I think I'm going to love it after all.

Not as much as my Glock 19, but... :)

I got off to a slow start with mine, too...but I just put new sights on it (the dot on my factory front sight had fallen off after about 100 rounds, which sucked) and gave it another chance...I'm shooting it much better than I was and I think I'm going to love it after all.

Not as much as my Glock 19, but... :)
I still prefer my G19 to the Shield, and I shoot a more accurately with it. However I've improved with the Shield and will use it in the summer as it will conceal better under thin/lightweight summer clothing.

I heard the rear sights get damaged badly by the procedure - is that true? There were some opinions that if you are installing the kit, you might as well install new (tritium, etc.) sights.

What stops me from liking the idea is the fact that even if you manage to keep the sights intact, you are essentially messing up the aim and may need to re-adjust the sights afterwards.

However, I have also heard opinions that installing the USB is simply unnecesary (it only eliminates some of the "grit"), and the remainder of the APEX kit is worth installing anyway. I may do it once the price drops, not worth ~$90 IMHO.

I heard the rear sights get damaged badly by the procedure - is that true? There were some opinions that if you are installing the kit, you might as well install new (tritium, etc.) sights.

What stops me from liking the idea is the fact that even if you manage to keep the sights intact, you are essentially messing up the aim and may need to re-adjust the sights afterwards.

However, I have also heard opinions that installing the USB is simply unnecesary (it only eliminates some of the "grit"), and the remainder of the APEX kit is worth installing anyway. I may do it once the price drops, not worth ~$90 IMHO.

Luckily I had access to a sight removal tool very similar to the $100 one that Brownells sells, without it and I can only imagine I would have had a disaster on my hands. Zeroing was not an issue as I actually had the trigger kit prior to purchasing the firearm. I had thought about night sights but I already had Crimson Trace LG-489 and I took a long time to adjust to using the VTAC sights on my full size M&P I didnt feel like learning something new lol. If VTAC were to make something that fit on the Shield I might look into it though. I did re-zero after the install, with no ill effects. In comparison to the APEX kit for the full size M&P and that of the Shield, I actually found the improvement most noticeable on the Shield. The "grit" is still slightly more pronounced on the full size, though considerably less than oem. Oddly enough it does seem to be improving with use.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top