Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shield 9mm review

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by ORHunter79, Sep 15, 2013.

1. ORHunter79

ORHunter79 ... Active Member

Got me a S&W M&P shield in 9mm. Here is my review of this great little gun. Let me know what you think about the vid and what I may have left out or done better. Thanks.

S&W M&P Shield 9mm Review - YouTube

2. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

How much was it and did they have more than one in stock?

3. ORHunter79

Retail was $450, got it for less, he could have easily charged me much more. Tom is an upstanding guy. No, unfortunately only one in stock and the rest on back order with unknown expected arrival dates. To tell the truth, this one wasn't even for sale, it was a "show and tell" gun incase someone wanted to handle one. The guys at Lost Creek Armory, in Bend, had pity on me and sold it to me. If there is one gun shop where the owner does it for the love of guns and not just for money, it's Tom.

4. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Ok too far of a drive for me anyway. I have seen the 9mm Shield advertized from $379 to $500 and was just wondering what the going price was now days.

5. ORHunter79

Bud's online has it for $450...which I was willing to pay, maybe even more. Tom gave it to me for $400.

6. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Nice review. I love my 40 shield.

7. ORHunter79

Thanks. How's the recoil on that thing? Seem like a 40 would kick quite a bit in such a small package.

8. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

It really isn't bad. I had a full size MP40 and the recoil is similar. I have had a hard time finding mags, I did pick one up at the gun show this weekend. I love the accuracy and the concealment, I carry it I a uncle mikes in the pocket holster.

9. Netspirit

Netspirit Bellevue, WA Active Member

8-round magazines for the Shield are extremely hard to find, while 7-rounders are everywhere. Everybody is after the bigger one, since presumably it is a bit better at the range (and as a backup magazine).

Quite frankly, it is not a range gun at all. You will not impress anyone with your groups as much as you can with a full-size M&P, and the magazines run out fast so you either have to reload them constantly, or haul a ton of loaded ones from home.

10. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Check Keith's, I was told they were taking deposits on them to hold one and the cost was $400

11. fishorgolf

fishorgolf Portland Oregon Member

I've run about 2000 rds through my sheild 9mm and tonight lost a rear sight insert , for the second time. Front one once, rear one once. I shot my new P238 pearl for the first time tonight and could say after a half box I was out shooting the sheild before the lost sight.

12. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Yeah but a p238 while very nice is almost twice what a shield is costing.

13. ConcealedCarrie

ConcealedCarrie People's Republic of Washington Member

I lost my front one after 100 rounds. I just put tritium sights on it at that point. Glad I did!

14. Navman

Navman Canby Oregon Active Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one that shoots the Shield with the first joint of the finger on the trigger.

Tried to use the recommended pad of the finger but doesn't feel right with this gun so small

Great review and love my Shield, well worth the 4 month wait

15. Netspirit

Netspirit Bellevue, WA Active Member

If you lose that white sight dot, just drop a tiny bit of white nail polish into the hole and let it dry for a few minutes.