JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sheriffs Start Stepping Up

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/sheriffs-start-stepping-up

Sheriff-300x300.jpg

Your efforts are paying off! In addition to Sheriff Glenn Palmer of Grant County, who expressed vocal opposition to the Democrats' Bloomberg-funded gun owner registration bill, yesterday two more Oregon sheriffs went on record opposing this dangers step towards gun confiscation.

Sheriff Pat Garrett of Washington County sent out an email to gun owners who asked him to take a stand and said:

1. I am concerned criminals will get around the new law by accessing firearms another way. For more than a few criminals, the threat of a misdemeanor criminal charge will not be a significant deterrent.
  2. The law will be onerous for law abiding citizens with layers of new requirements. Many Oregonians are serious sport shooters, hunters and collectors. Frequently and with great care, they buy, sell and trade firearms with each other. I am concerned this law could create crimes and criminals out of otherwise law abiding people. Also, it's unclear what priority prosecutors and stressed court systems will place on charging people who up to this time were crime-free except for an unauthorized gun transfer under this new law.
  3. I am concerned that much of this law will be unenforceable. It's unclear how law enforcement will learn of unauthorized transfers, and in many cases it will be very challenging to disprove a claim that a transfer was temporary in nature and therefore authorized. Laws that are largely unenforceable diminish respect for the law in general, which we do not need in today's environment.
  4. I am concerned how the State plans to account for the fiscal impact and increased pressure on the current background check system. The State's background system is already heavily burdened, and additional requests could significantly slow the system further, unless additional funds are provided to bolster capacity.
And now Sheriff Bruce Riley of Linn County, has posted on his Facebook page the following :

"As Sheriff of Linn County I am frequently asked by citizens my opinion on proposed legislation. There are many bills before the Oregon State Legislature this year that in my opinion, are cause for concern. One of these bills is SB 941 which calls for background checks on the private party transaction of firearms.

While this bill may look good on the surface, don't be fooled; It does nothing to make our families, communities, schools or businesses safer. Adding additional requirements and unnecessary laws for law abiding citizens is a waste of time and resources; time and resources that could be better spent on stiffening our current laws that deal with crimes committed with guns and the mental health issues that currently face our community every day.

As your Sheriff, I am committed to keeping guns away from criminals. I am equally committed in allowing law abiding citizens the right to possess firearms without further infringement."No matter what happens when this bill is voted on in the Senate Committee, there is still a way to go before this bill can become law, so our fight will continue. If your sheriff has not taken a stand, there is still time to tell him you expect him to. You can find contact info for all sheriffs here.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication to this cause.

Good to see this. I've been trying to locate an email for Craig Roberts in Clackamas County - does anyone know what it is? I have the regular mailing address as well as the phone number, but I'll be darned if I can find his email. Anyone?

Contact them all and get them to step up against this legislation.

Oregon Sheriffs by County
Click on a county to learn more about that county's Sheriff.

• <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>

• <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>

• <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>

• <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>
  • <broken link removed>

It's great that LEO's (well some of them) will come out and chastise the ill informed legislators on items that they know absolutely nothing about (guns)!!!!:cool:
Just like Colorado, many Sheriffs called out the dumbazzes and said they would not enforce such unconstitutional laws.

"and in many cases it will be very challenging to disprove a claim that a transfer was temporary in nature and therefore authorized. "

Borrowed firearm agreement
I, your name, do here by loan my firearm to, their name. There is no set time period for, their name, to borrow said firearm. Their name, agrees not to commit any crimes with said firearm and assumes all responsibility for said firearm and actions. A borrowing fee of, insert cost, will be charged until firearm is returned in like condition.

I think this will do. Hahaha

Good to see this. I've been trying to locate an email for Craig Roberts in Clackamas County - does anyone know what it is? I have the regular mailing address as well as the phone number, but I'll be darned if I can find his email. Anyone?

I've also been struggling with a contact. His website is easy enough to find, but there is no contact email address. Guess there's no choice for us other than the letter to the association, which I've already done. I would've had liked to send a letter directly to him.

WAYNO.

I've also been struggling with a contact. His website is easy enough to find, but there is no contact email address. Guess there's no choice for us other than the letter to the association, which I've already done. I would've had liked to send a letter directly to him.

WAYNO.

Why not contact him in person? I have done this in the past here and he thanked me for coming in for a chat.

If you want to do a regular letter (which I've done before), you can send it to his name at:

9101 SE Sunnybrook Blvd
Clackamas, OR 97015

Office phone number is: 503-785-5000

I may have to try and call for the email. I'm sure he has one.

Trying to get it. I usually just call him. But can't give the number out.
His email is elusive. You could write to his sub commanders/captains and I am
sure they would relay to him for now.

I would've and could've contacted him personally, and I still have that option, but since we are kind've under the gun on this bill, I wanted to contact him before the day(s) of the hearing.

There are four or more SB 941 position statements from Oregon Sheriffs on the OFF site. There is a statement that the Senate president has threatened the Oregon State Sheriff's Association not to take a position on SB 941 (Huh?). Several of those letters nicely hit all the important talking points. Reading between the lines the Sheriff's appear to discount their energy to support or implement such a bill. Too bad these letters could not be published in a newspaper for Oregon citizens to read important information on this subject from the trenches and at the same time for them to see how their legislators are going to mislead them again.

Thoughtless gun legislation that does nothing but make criminals out of law abiding citizens should be considered a hate crime against gun owners.

I for one feel extremely repressed, and am sick of it!

I received Sheriff Garret's email. He will be testifying tomorrow. Too bad that our elected officials were bought off by Bloomberg and they want more of his money so they will do his bidding and ignore the concerns of local law enforcement.

I received Sheriff Garret's email. He will be testifying tomorrow. Too bad that our elected officials were bought off by Bloomberg and they want more of his money so they will do his bidding and ignore the concerns of local law enforcement.

SPOT ON ANALYSIS. SO MANY OREGON VOTERS GET SUCKERED OVER AND OVER!

WAYNO.
Yeah, I wish I could give his cell out, but it is strictly a business related thing and I cannot. Anyone can go to his office and try to direct contact him but may take some effort to get through the gatekeepers. He is very pleasant to deal with.
Even Kevin said there is no email available for him.
I would've and could've contacted him personally, and I still have that option, but since we are kind've under the gun on this bill, I wanted to contact him before the day(s) of the hearing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top