JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He's right, our justice system fails society from time to time. Decriminalize marijuana and focus on the piles of excrement in our society like the guy in the OP's article.

And as a follow up, I don't care what the law says, and I know da-mned well that I'm posting this on a public forum, if that was my wife or daughter, I would take the law into my own hands period, and sleep well at night in a cell. The Sheriff is 100% correct, the animals that our so-called justice system keeps releasing onto the streets have become a plague upon the honest that have to live with them. When will a judge be held accountable as an accomplice to rape or homicide for releasing a chunk of human excrement like this back into society? Please, some liberal, civic minded individual with social leaning tendencies step up and just try to defend this type of scum being released back again and again to prey on our people, and dont hand me that "our jails are full" and the money is needed elsewhere crap. It takes a village my arse. Sorry folks, had to rant.

I hear you loud and clear.
When working for CA Corrections we had a child molester/rapist who was to be released on parole even though he admitted he was likely to re-offend and the court's shrink confirmed that releasing him from prison was a real risk to society. The sheriff from the county he was to be paroled to flat out stated he and his department could not / would not guarantee his safety especially after the heinous acts he had committed against that community. The county the convict resided in at the time he committed his crimes stated basically the same thing and stated they would notify everyone in the county which block/street he claimed as his residence. As the department couldn't find a county to accept his parole a judge ruled that if we couldn't find a place for him to parole he would be released to the custody of his parents without parole in Oregon... My personal reaction to this was that we should have bought the house next door to the judge and paroled him there. Unfortunately it was not my call and more PC individuals prevailed. We (the state) ended up buying a trailer and placing it on the corner of the prison property. I still like my idea better - either that or quit putting the rapists and child molesters in the "sensitive needs yards" so they don't get hurt by other criminals. Murderers, robbers, con men and drug dealers all would like to take care of this segment of prison society as they feel the molesters give felons a bad name. Personally I figure it would only be fair to put them in gen pop and see how it goes.

That said - If 95% of sheriffs and LEO in general were like Sheriff Chuck Wright we would have far fewer criminals roaming the streets and a much more "polite" society.

I'm getting my CPL, and if anyone tries to do anything nasty to My Family or I, then Let 12 Judge me, because I certainly will not be carried by 6.

If anyone is going to be carried by 6, it's going to be the Criminal.

No strictly speaking vengeance is not justice. Sometimes both are accomplished at the same time though. If somebody rapes and terrorizes another human being they deserve whatever comes their way including death imo. If criminal types knew that this was the likely outcome of their crime they would be much less likely to commit it.

Nope.
Studies (and this is from a friend who did some of them,interviews of prisoners) show that when bad guys commit crimes of violence,the last thing they are thinking of is the repercussions of their actions

Nope.
Studies (and this is from a friend who did some of them,interviews of prisoners) show that when bad guys commit crimes of violence,the last thing they are thinking of is the repercussions of their actions

Talk of murdering rapists AFTER they commit their crimes reminds me of a quote from Se7en:*

Somerset: These murders are like forced attrition.
David Mills: Forced what?
William Somerset: Attrition. It's when you regret your sins, but not because you love God.
David Mills: More like because someone's sticking a (Bubblegum-ing) gun in your face.

Going after criminals after the fact, may or may not be justice, but it certainly could be punishment. Whether that is right or wrong is either up to you and your maker, and/or the government (which is theoretically you and your neighbors).

I think criminals would be more likely to kill and hide the body of someone, especially if they know they're going to be killed for violating that person.

*But the Sheriff isn't talking about AFTER the fact. I think he's talking about weapons as a "rape prevention kit".
s_comeback.jpg

I showed the video and the article to my wife. Over the years she's changed from total anti-gunner to tolerating my guns. I think for the first time I think I saw her considered carrying, for a short time. Still don't see it happening any time soon. There is a very long road ahead of her. But it's a start.

This is the kind of article about a law enforcement person I like to see vs the constant revelations about idiot cops who don't give a damn about people at all. This Sheriff cares about people. Hats off to him. Too bad that lady wasn't armed.

He's a heck of a sheriff. I'd love to have a few like him in Oregon!!!

Our Sheriff in Columbia County, Jeff Dickerson, recently said; "I was asked how a person could deter crime in the absence of more patrols. My response was that people should invest in home security items, make sure they know the serial numbers of the valuables and, if someone was threatening their lives, a shotgun loaded with .00-buckshot is a good deterrent. I also said that in the rural areas of Columbia County, guns are a way of life, and that most people know how to defend themselves from those who would threaten them."

For those who favor vigilante justice, pray that you never get falsely accused of a crime. I've personally investigated crimes where the accused suspect looked like a slam-dunk, only to later clear him using DNA, and / or the "victim" admits lying. To those who claim they would gladly spend time in prison for revenge killing, does that hold true if the person is later found to be innocent? Have you ever spent time in prison?

Realism: We do not have a justice system. We have a legal system.​

Realism: We do not have a justice system. We have a legal system. One that protects the well to do and politically connected and leaves the average Joe in jail with Billy Bob.

Nope.
Actually you're correct. They don't really think about the severity of the consequences of their actions. Studies DO show however that they do think about the "likelyhood" of being caught. If the person they are assaulting has a handgun then it's much more likely they will get caught. And if a much larger percentage of the population was armed criminals would know that they would be much less likely to get away with it. That's my take anyway.

Realism: We do not have a justice system. We have a legal system. One that protects the well to do and politically connected and leaves the average Joe in jail with Billy Bob.

"One that protects the well to do, the politically connected and the legal systems employees, but leaves the average Joe in jail with Billy Bob." That's more like it.

Our Sheriff in Columbia County, Jeff Dickerson, recently said; "I was asked how a person could deter crime in the absence of more patrols. My response was that people should invest in home security items, make sure they know the serial numbers of the valuables and, if someone was threatening their lives, a shotgun loaded with .00-buckshot is a good deterrent. I also said that in the rural areas of Columbia County, guns are a way of life, and that most people know how to defend themselves from those who would threaten them."

For those who favor vigilante justice, pray that you never get falsely accused of a crime. I've personally investigated crimes where the accused suspect looked like a slam-dunk, only to later clear him using DNA, and / or the "victim" admits lying. To those who claim they would gladly spend time in prison for revenge killing, does that hold true if the person is later found to be innocent? Have you ever spent time in prison?

Realism: We do not have a justice system. We have a legal system.​

I hate it when someone throws logic into an emotional situation.
And to answer your question, yes, but only when I worked there. I understand the delima entirely, the real question is, when will we as a society stand as one and scream,,, ENOUGH, IS ENOUGH? I've made my decision reguarding what's right and what's wrong, it's just my perspective, and I'll live with it.

Well,what has been shown in these studies is that some are victims and some aren't.
How you carry yourself,if you are attentive and aware of your surroundings.
In one study,a large group of violent criminals picked the same people as Yes maybe and no's

If you carry yourself correctly,the bad guys don't want to bother.
Act like an airhead,and get attacked.

Carry a gun and you will have more confidence and will be less likely to be attacked.

Now to the civilian 75. Just because your wife is more tolerant of guns,doesn't mean she would be ready to carry any time soon. (as you probably know)
A person has to remember that by shooting someone the may take a life.Yeah spin it as 'stopping the threat' but it most likely will be 'stopping a heart'

If you or your wife will have a problem with this,then she should not carry a gun.

Now to the civilian 75. Just because your wife is more tolerant of guns, doesn't mean she would be ready to carry any time soon. (as you probably know) A person has to remember that by shooting someone the may take a life.Yeah spin it as 'stopping the threat' but it most likely will be 'stopping a heart'. If you or your wife will have a problem with this,then she should not carry a gun.
And that was exactly the nature of our talk last night. I did not want to get into details in my post, but that's what I meant when I said "a long road ahead of her". She is today was where I was 10 years ago. First time I see a small ray, a sliver of hope.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews