JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought some of you might enjoy reading this.

Sheriff Joe

SIC EM JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You all remember Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona , who painted the jail cells pink and made the inmates wear pink prison garb. Well.........

SHERIFF JOE IS AT IT AGAIN!

Oh, there's MUCH more to know about Sheriff Joe!

Maricopa County was spending approx. $18 million dollars a year on stray animals, like cats and dogs. Sheriff Joe offered to take the department over, and the County Supervisors said okay.

The animal shelters are now all staffed and operated by prisoners. They feed and care for the strays. Every animal in his care is taken out and walked twice daily. He now has prisoners who are experts in animal nutrition and behavior. They give great classes for anyone who'd like to adopt an animal. He has literally taken stray dogs off the street, given them to the care of prisoners, and had them place in dog shows.

The best part? His budget for the entire department is now under $3 million. Teresa and I adopted a Weimaraner from a Maricopa County shelter two years ago. He was neutered, and current on all shots, in great health, and even had a microchip inserted the day we got him Cost us $78.

The prisoners get the benefit of about $0.28 an hour for working, but most would work for free, just to be out of their cells for the day. Most of his budget is for utilities, building maintenance, etc. He pays the prisoners out of the fees collected for adopted animals.

I have long wondered when the rest of the country would take a look at the way he runs the jail system, and copy some of his ideas. He has a huge farm, donated to the county years ago, where inmates can work, and they grow most of their own fresh vegetables and food, doing all the work and harvesting by hand.

He has a pretty good sized hog farm, which provides meat, and fertilizer. It fertilizes the Christmas tree nursery, where prisoners work, and you can buy a living Christmas tree for $6 - $8 for the Holidays, and plant it later. We have six trees in our yard from the Prison.

Yup, he was reelected last year with 83% of the vote.
Now he's in trouble with the ACLU again. He painted all his buses and vehicles with a mural, that has a special hotline phone number painted on it, where you can call and report suspected illegal aliens. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement wasn't doing enough in his eyes, so he had 40 deputies trained specifically for enforcing immigration laws, started up his hotline, and bought 4 new buses just for hauling folks back to the border He's kind of a 'Git-R Dun' kind of Sheriff.

TO THOSE OF YOU NOT FAMILIAR WITH JOE ARPAIO

HE IS THE MARICOPA COUNTY SHERIFF AND HE KEEPS GETTING RE-ELECTED OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY:

Sheriff Joe Arpaio (In Arizona ) who created the ' Tent City Jail':
He has jail meals down to 40 cents a serving and charges the inmates for them.

He stopped smoking and magazines in the jails. Took away their weights Cut off all but 'G' movies.

He started chain gangs so the inmates could do free work on county and city projects.

Then He Started Chain Gangs For Women So He Wouldn't Get
Sued For Discrimination.

He took away cable TV Until he found out there was A Federal Court Order that Required Cable TV For Jails So He Hooked Up The Cable TV Again Only Let In The Disney Channel And The Weather Channel.

When asked why the weather channel He Replied, So They Will Know How Hot It's Gonna Be While They Are Working ON My Chain Gangs.

He Cut Off Coffee Since It Has Zero Nutritional Value.

When the inmates complained, he told them, 'This Isn't The Ritz/Carlton......If You Don't Like It, Don't Come Back.'

More On The Arizona Sheriff:

With Temperatures Being Even Hotter Than Usual In Phoenix (116 Degrees Just Set A New Record), the Associated Press Reports:

About 2,000 Inmates Living In A Barbed-Wire-Surrounded Tent Encampment At The Maricopa County Jail Have Been Given Permission To Strip Down To Their Government-Issued Pink Boxer Shorts.

On Wednesday, hundreds of men wearing boxers were either curled up on their bunk beds or chatted in the tents, which reached 138 Degrees Inside The Week Before.

Many Were Also Swathed In Wet, Pink Towels As Sweat Collected On Their Chests And Dripped Down To Their PINK SOCKS.

'It Feels Like We Are In A Furnace,' Said James Zanzot, an Inmate who has lived In the TENTS for 1 year. 'It's Inhumane.'

Joe Arpaio, the tough-guy sheriff who created the tent city and long ago started making his prisoners wear pink, and eat bologna sandwiches, is not one bit sympathetic. He said Wednesday that he told all of the inmates: 'It's 120 Degrees In Iraq And Our Soldiers Are Living In Tents Too, And They Have To Wear Full Battle Gear, But They Didn't Commit Any Crimes,So Shut Your Mouths!'

Way To Go, Sheriff!

Maybe if all prisons were like this one there would be a lot less crime and/or repeat offenders. Criminals should be punished for their crimes - not live in luxury until it's time for their parole, only to go out and commit another crime so they can get back in to live on taxpayers money and enjoy things taxpayers can't afford to have for themselves.

Arpaio sent a full SWAT team in to a home to look for "assault rifles", setting fire to the house and killing the homeowners dog in the process. When they couldn't find any assault rifles, they arrested the homeowner for an unpaid traffic ticket. That's another addition to the long list of legal settlements Maricopa County has had to pay out. Not the sort of lawmen I want in my town.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2004-08-05/news/dog-day-afternoon/full

As for people who get elected over and over, so did Arlen Specter. So what? Personally I think Arpaio is a self-important goon, and unsuitable for a job in law enforcement.

he's an idiot and a genius, all at the same time. its a shame his idiocy tends to violate my beloved Constitution- 'cause he really should be hanged for his crimes.

Wow. I wish I would have known that about this guy before I posted this. I like his ideas on the jail but his other behavior cancels out any good he does. He should be the one wearing pink. I received the article in an email.

Before buying everything said in that article hook line and sinker, look into who John Daugherty, the author, is. He is a journalist, but also ran as a Democratic Senate candidate against John McCain. He also supports the boycott of Arizona over the SB1070 immigration law and wants comprehensive immigration reform (read amnesty) for illegal aliens. I'm not saying the article isn't totally or partially true, but understand the author comes to it with an extreme amount of bias.

Sheriff Joe for President! :s0155: While other government employees whine and do nothing Sheriff Joe fixes problems.

sure vote for him!!!!

Why should prisoners live in air conditioned facilities, with free TV when our troops live in tents in 130° weather and under fire? Criminals should NEVER be treated better than our troops.

sure vote for him!!!!

Why should prisoners live in air conditioned facilities, with free TV when our troops live in tents in 130° weather and under fire? Criminals should NEVER be treated better than our troops.
Why should many non-violent drug offenders be considered criminals?

He tramples on the constitution and would never get my vote.

Why should many non-violent drug offenders be considered criminals?

He tramples on the constitution and would never get my vote.

When there is a law and it's broken someone has to enforce it. Sheriff Joe doesn't make the law nor does he convict the criminals.

Your problem is with the laws, so your focus should be on changing the laws not the enforcement of the laws.

So what has he done to trample on the constitution?

Here's <broken link removed> , from the <broken link removed> that shows pretty conclusively that Arpaio's all hat and no cowboy. The conclusion's below, but it's worth reading the whole piece.

And in case any of you are wondering, or are too young to remember, the Goldwater Institute is definitely not a liberal or progressive organization.

The Maricopa County Sheriff 's Office falls seriously short in all three of the core components of its mission as MCSO defines it. Over the past several years, MCSO has lost sight of its most essential priorities. The escalating rates of violent crimes in its jurisdiction coupled with diversion of resources to less important priorities, less-effective law-enforcement tactics, or to jurisdictions that have their own police departments, indicates it is not "the leader in establishing the standards for providing professional quality law enforcement." Its failure to assume leadership in reducing the huge backlog of outstanding warrants and its closure of satellite booking centers means that it is not effectively providing essential law-enforcement support services. Its detention of criminal suspects and convicted criminals has been the subject of successful and expensive legal verdicts and settlements, of investigations by the federal government, and of revocation of accreditation. Its records are inadequate and opaque rather than transparent.

Doesn't sound like a model I'd want any agency around here to follow.

Here's <broken link removed> , from the <broken link removed> that shows pretty conclusively that Arpaio's all hat and no cowboy. The conclusion's below, but it's worth reading the whole piece.

And in case any of you are wondering, or are too young to remember, the Goldwater Institute is definitely not a liberal or progressive organization.

Doesn't sound like a model I'd want any agency around here to follow.
The Maricopa County Sheriff 's Office falls seriously short in all three of the core components of its mission as MCSO defines it. Over the past several years, MCSO has lost sight of its most essential priorities. The escalating rates of violent crimes in its jurisdiction coupled with diversion of resources to less important priorities, less-effective law-enforcement tactics, or to jurisdictions that have their own police departments, indicates it is not "the leader in establishing the standards for providing professional quality law enforcement." Its failure to assume leadership in reducing the huge backlog of outstanding warrants and its closure of satellite booking centers means that it is not effectively providing essential law-enforcement support services. Its detention of criminal suspects and convicted criminals has been the subject of successful and expensive legal verdicts and settlements, of investigations by the federal government, and of revocation of accreditation. Its records are inadequate and opaque rather than transparent.

Your summary, she's missing a lot of info! The whole document seems to show that the problems stem from the cost and effects of illegal immigration. Did you write this summary? If you wrote this you seem to have keenly left all that out. ;)

Your summary, she's missing a lot of info! The whole document seems to show that the problems stem from illegal immigration. Did you write this summary? If you wrote this you seem to have keenly left all that out. ;)

Where does it say that?

Illegal immigration is mentioned in the summary on the first page, but only as something that

[The MCSO] has diverted resources away from basic law-enforcement
functions to highly publicized immigration sweeps, which are ineffective in policing illegal immigration and in reducing crime generally.

I don't know how you can read that and get the idea that the problem "stems from illegal immigration" as opposed to incompetent management, but to each his own. Maybe you're trying to say that Arapio would not have as many opportunities to come up with wasteful and ineffective policies without the inspiration of illegal immigrants?

wow....is about how I feel reading all these posts about Sheriff Joe.
Yes Sheriff Joe "guards" convicted inmates.....he isn't the one convicting them to be there he enforces the law.
Having worked in a maximum security prison myself in our Oregon Liberal system known as ODOC I stand in awe of Sheriff Joe to cut costs so his correctional officers don't have to take unpaid furlough days, nor layoff employees. If Oregon could just do a third of his cost cutting measures and remember...inmates are in prison because they were found guilty of a crime..prison is their punishment..sheriff Joe isn't their punishment. As mentioned before but folks keep ignoring the statement...why should inmates have more amenities than our troops dying for our country so when they get out of prison they can be "free"? Inmates in Oregon have better health care, dental etc than our troops overseas!! Why?? Because it isn't politically correct for inmates to be punished beyond going there. What a CROCK. Take away their directv in Oregon, don't pay them $350 a month to do laundry services, consider it exercising the mind. They have more free weights than my gym, miniture golf course, softball, basketball and soccer leagues that outside teams participate in with the inmates, indoor basketball courts, pool tables, ping pong tables, soda machines, commissary to buy Dreyers ice cream and just about anything else..some even get approved to wear Air Jordan shoes??? Oregon is soooo wrong in their thoughts on our prison system and should take notes from Sheriff Joe!:woot:

wow....is about how I feel reading all these posts about Sheriff Joe.
Yes Sheriff Joe "guards" convicted inmates.....he isn't the one convicting them to be there he enforces the law.
Having worked in a maximum security prison myself in our Oregon Liberal system known as ODOC I stand in awe of Sheriff Joe to cut costs so his correctional officers don't have to take unpaid furlough days, nor layoff employees. If Oregon could just do a third of his cost cutting measures and remember...inmates are in prison because they were found guilty of a crime..prison is their punishment..sheriff Joe isn't their punishment. As mentioned before but folks keep ignoring the statement...why should inmates have more amenities than our troops dying for our country so when they get out of prison they can be "free"? Inmates in Oregon have better health care, dental etc than our troops overseas!! Why?? Because it isn't politically correct for inmates to be punished beyond going there. What a CROCK. Take away their directv in Oregon, don't pay them $350 a month to do laundry services, consider it exercising the mind. They have more free weights than my gym, miniture golf course, softball, basketball and soccer leagues that outside teams participate in with the inmates, indoor basketball courts, pool tables, ping pong tables, soda machines, commissary to buy Dreyers ice cream and just about anything else..some even get approved to wear Air Jordan shoes??? Oregon is soooo wrong in their thoughts on our prison system and should take notes from Sheriff Joe!:woot:

Absolutely. I have always wondered why prison is considered "rehabilitation" instead of "punishment?" It seems to be a complete failure. I don't believe that being nice to criminals in prison will necessarily make them into model citizens when they are released.

he's an idiot and a genius, all at the same time. its a shame his idiocy tends to violate my beloved Constitution- 'cause he really should be hanged for his crimes.

You are right! Interesting to see how some 'constitutionalists' line up to boot lick this fascist fool.
Heard a suggestion that for every illegal immigrant they catch, they should send one Goldman Sachs guy to Mexico...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top