JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to make an organizer for all my shell holders while I'm at work. Could somebody take some measurements on a shell holder for me so I don't have to wait until tomorrow to start? Overall height, height of the small diameter, width of the groove, height of the large diameter. Size of the hole down the center. I think I'm going to drill and ream some holes and press some pins in them for each of the shell holders to fit on. Thanks

They vary by maker.

RCBS .810" dia, .560" small dia., .500" tall, bore .264"
Hornady .805" dia., .560" small dia., .508" tall, bore .292"
Herter's (1970s) .830" (knurled) dia., .560" small dia., .500" tall, .310" bore
Lee .810" dia., .557" small dia., .500" tall, .350" bore.

They vary by maker.

RCBS .810" dia, .560" small dia., .500" tall, bore .264"
Hornady .805" dia., .560" small dia., .508" tall, bore .292"
Herter's (1970s) .830" (knurled) dia., .560" small dia., .500" tall, .310" bore
Lee .810" dia., .557" small dia., .500" tall, .350" bore.
Thanks man! Exactly what I'm looking for. You're the man.

Right here, right now. Tomorrow I'm just the same old...
Haha. Ain't it a shame.

So I'm thinking to accommodate the different sizes I'm going to make a pin that's an inch tall has a slight taper on it. Shell holders with different diameters will sit slightly higher or lower but will sit solidly

If you ever find ancient Herter's shell holders (the original Waseca, MN store), they are knurled so they don't slip going into the ram or back out. They are precise, and the steel is hard as a rock. Probably R 55-57C it seems. RCBS tend to be soft. You'll pull the lip off with a stuck case. Have not used the Hornady or Lee enough to judge, but have had the Herter's since the 70s and they mic exactly the same today.

If you ever find ancient Herter's shell holders (the original Waseca, MN store), they are knurled so they don't slip going into the ram or back out. They are precise, and the steel is hard as a rock. Probably R 55-57C it seems. RCBS tend to be soft. You'll pull the lip off with a stuck case. Have not used the Hornady or Lee enough to judge, but have had the Herter's since the 70s and they mic exactly the same today.

Since the OP got your fantastic and timely answer I don't think I'm hi-jacking this thread!

I thought I was the last of the dinosaurs that used Herter's products! I gave away my gigantic Herter's "C' press, dies and shell holders years ago since switching to Hornady products and then Dillon. I sure wish I still had that 1968 Herter's hunting, firearms and reloading catalogue. The stories in the front were fun to read too!

Thanks for the memory!

John

Retired LEO from SoCal livin' the good life at the foot of the Olympic National Forest

My organizer is a simple piece of wood with holes drilled in it to fit the bases of my shellholders snug. No pin needed, as even turning the board over wont let them just fall out. My board is a piece of 3/4" counter top that has formica on it. I use my label maker to stick a label a number by each shellholder to identify what it fits. I also keep a chart near it for cross reference of the numbers on the board.

My turn! 3d printed. I'm thinking about adding a snap on cover.

20201029_091625.jpg

Last Edited:
I couldn't remember the dims, but measured it as printed if that helps

.5420 inner circle diameter
.8420 outer circle diameter
.2820 depth from inner circle
.3245 depth from outer circle

Shelf, wall, toolbox and table space are at a premium in my loading area. Picked up these at Dollar Tree, I think. Work great, keeps everything organized, and if I drop them or knock if over, they don't go flying all over B-He11.

20201029_091342.jpg 20201029_091351.jpg

Since the OP got your fantastic and timely answer I don't think I'm hi-jacking this thread!

I thought I was the last of the dinosaurs that used Herter's products! I gave away my gigantic Herter's "C' press, dies and shell holders years ago since switching to Hornady products and then Dillon. I sure wish I still had that 1968 Herter's hunting, firearms and reloading catalogue. The stories in the front were fun to read too!

Thanks for the memory!

John

Retired LEO from SoCal livin' the good life at the foot of the Olympic National Forest
The founder's name was George Herter, but his use of hyperbole was more akin to P.T. Barnum or the old J.C. Whitney. His proprietary calibers (.401 Herter Power Mag etc.) were more powerful, burnt less powder, had less recoil and were the most accurate cartridges in their class. Even the smallest of hooks for fly tying were the strongest, most economic, held their point the longest etc. etc. etc. I guess that the laws of physics did not apply in Waseca, MN!

The founder's name was George Herter, but his use of hyperbole was more akin to P.T. Barnum or the old J.C. Whitney. His proprietary calibers (.401 Herter Power Mag etc.) were more powerful, burnt less powder, had less recoil and were the most accurate cartridges in their class. Even the smallest of hooks for fly tying were the strongest, most economic, held their point the longest etc. etc. etc. I guess that the laws of physics did not apply in Waseca, MN!

Too bad the family couldn't continue the company! Life goes on....

My organizer is a simple piece of wood with holes drilled in it to fit the bases of my shellholders snug. No pin needed, as even turning the board over wont let them just fall out. My board is a piece of 3/4" counter top that has formica on it. I use my label maker to stick a label a number by each shellholder to identify what it fits. I also keep a chart near it for cross reference of the numbers on the board.
Yeah I recognize I am overcomplicating things. I just have access to all these free scraps and machines at work it's hard to not want to take advantage of it. I enjoy making stuff like this.

My turn! 3d printed. I'm thinking about adding a snap on cover.

View attachment 769313
That being said.. wanna make me one of those? :D

I've got too many projects, and not enough time. So I try to simplify things, and not waste time over complicating things. If it works, I wont waste time adding parts that wont make it work any better.

not a bad deal with all the shell holders!

@thermox9898 should be made in the next few days. had to change out the hot end, printing with some very abrasive uv color change plastic really tore through the machine.

Once I get it dialed in again we'll be back at it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top