JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to this Semi auto pistol scene and have been saving the casings for reloading later. MOst of my guns have been revolvers

I was noticing today on my .40 S&W casings that there appears to be a slight indentation (Like something struck it or gripped it). It is about 4mm below the top of the casing and the width is about 2mm - thin line not deep – ( Like something crimped it). It is not easy to detect it by running a wire down the inside. I looked at the last 200 rounds and it looks pretty consistent.
My definition of top is the location where the bullets sits.
The gun is Springfield XD 40 SC

I checked some ammo off my .380 pistol and see something similar - not as pronounced

Is this normal?

IS it still good for reloading / or will the reloading process address this?

Thank for any inputs

It sound like the empty is just hitting the slide on its way out. That wont hinder reloads at all. My 45 does the same thing, has not caused a problem. By the way I love that little pistol you got xd sc is a nice gun.

.40 S&W cases are prone to developing a bulge, not unlike what a girl might show over tight low-rise britches. This occurs for various reasons and it can be aggravated by the sizing procedure during reloading. Several reloading equipment manufacturers have developed a die to remove this. They use a die with an open top and the case is pushed all the way through from the bottom. If you are loading any of the straight walled, autoloader calibers, like 380 ACP, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 41 AE, 45 GAP, 45 ACP, 45 Win Mag, it would be a good idea to have one. The biggest cause of this "bulge" is the unsupported portion of the chamber but can also be caused by timing issues where the case is being extracted too soon and the chamber pressures are still too high (like too light a recoil spring).

.40 S&W cases are prone to developing a bulge, not unlike what a girl might show over tight low-rise britches. This occurs for various reasons and it can be aggravated by the sizing procedure during reloading. Several reloading equipment manufacturers have developed a die to remove this. They use a die with an open top and the case is pushed all the way through from the bottom. If you are loading any of the straight walled, autoloader calibers, like 380 ACP, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 41 AE, 45 GAP, 45 ACP, 45 Win Mag, it would be a good idea to have one. The biggest cause of this "bulge" is the unsupported portion of the chamber but can also be caused by timing issues where the case is being extracted too soon and the chamber pressures are still too high (like too light a recoil spring).

He was referring to a flattened case mouth on one side. That happens when the brass hits the slide on the ejection. But that is great bit of info you have there thanks.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top