Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shelf Life Of 1990's Era MRE's

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RVTECH, Jul 17, 2013.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Is there/was there any? I have several cases and if so then my cougar (the four legged wild one outside) and the rest of the varmints are going to be eating well soon!

2. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Thats getting pretty old. I'd pitch them personally. Hell, there drinking age!

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine ate MREs that were about 10 years old, they looked age, somewhat darker, but didn't smell spoiled and he didn't get sick so.... BUT almost 20 years? If they are still actually edible, I'm sure they will have lost most of their nutritional value.

1 person likes this.
  4. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

They are not marked anywhere on the packages?

5. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Yes but I cannot decipher the cryptic numbers on the packages. No matter though - all the 'sub' items (cheese spread, chocolate bars, little Tabasco bottles, gum etc. are dried up and hard. The main menus though seem ok - at least my cat is diggin' the Chicken and Rice. Heck it looked and smelled good enough to eat myself!!

6. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

As long as the packet is sealed and no air inside, should still be sanitary.
    As was said in post #3 the nutrients are degraded.
    Tabasco bottles. I recall those in the first MREs about 1979.

7. peetar

peetar Kitsap County Active Member

[video=youtube;kmKGkYQqdow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmKGkYQqdow[/video]
    MREs are both irradiated and sealed in Aluminum based metalized packaging. They are completely safe to eat no matter how old they are as long as they are sealed and there has been no compromise in the packaging.

They may taste a tad different but it has been my experience that they really don't. Even after 15 yrs of storage. Seriously. Try them, you will be blown away.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  8. billyinfinity

billyinfinity Portland All pie, all the time. 2015 Volunteer

i'll trade you this tuna noodle for that chili mac... :thumbup:

9. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

The rest of the MRE may or may not be edible but the John Wayne Bar will live on forever !

peetar, bcdon, BoonDocks36 and 3 others like this.
  10. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the unedited video where all the taste testers made beelines to the bathroom vomiting out both ends.

Nah....probably didn't happen, but still a humorous mental image :winkkiss: . Blech.

Keith

11. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

might be o.k. I remember back in 1999 ,i was sent to istanbul turkey on a mission to help out after the earthquake there that killed around 17,000 people. the turkish military gave me some cans of russian c-rations from the 1950's.. its all i had to eat for a few days, i did not get sick, but they were pretty nasty,and nothing as good as U.S. m.r.e.'s.

12. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I think id have rather looked for a lightly killed rat or something before eating that.

13. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I still have a couple cases of those...I ate a couple two years ago, and they were fine.

I remember going hunting once and only taking two cases of these. I ate two a day for 12 days or so. Never been so bound up on my life!!:fart2:

14. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

I've heard about THAT..

15. Stinkerbelle

Stinkerbelle Tualatin, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm guessing you're talking about freeze dry stuff. My hunting buddy works for Oregon Freeze Dry in Albany (makers of Mountain house). He says they'll only guarantee them for seven years or so, but they'll last indefinitely if they stay sealed and intact. He says they've opened and eaten stuff over 30 years old and it's been fine. He says it'll only go bad if the seal is broken, and he says you can tell right away once you open it if that's happened, as it smells rancid. Open one up and try it and let us know what the result is.

16. Black Dog

Black Dog Eagle Creek Or Active Member

Are you sure they had any NUTRITIONAL VALUE in the first place?

17. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

I had a bunch of MRE's back in the mid to lat 90's when I moved into CA. They were part of my earthquake emergency kit. I threw all the stuff away when I moved up here because there was only a 10 year life on them. (Ok when I checked them out to see if they were still good, it was 7 years past the expire date) I opened up one of the omelets, gone way south. The packaged food may have been still good, but sure did not smell like it. The only good things left was the small tobasco bottles and the grape/lime/red cool aide packs.

18. peetar

Not all MREs are going to be good for that long (17 to 20 yrs). It all depends on how they are stored. On each case of MREs there is a little red ring-like sticker. It is called a TTI.

TTI stands for - time temperature indicators....It is an indicator of whether or not the MRE has been stored in a temperature stable environment.

(edit: this only applies to MREs that are still in the individual case. Individual MREs do not have TTI indicators)

When the little center bullseye turns black they are no longer considered "good". Of course, you will want to salvage what you can from them. Does sugar or powdered grape flavored drink go bad? Of course not. When I say "Go bad" I mean harmful to eat not loses its flavor.

In a survival situation, anything that posesses caloric value and is edible is of to be saved / eaten. I would field strip anything out of them and verify that they have actually gone bad before tossing them.

BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

From another forum in a galaxy Far, Far away, I recall a thread like this, I thought about it when ~parallax~ mentioned Russian C-Rats....

The topic changed from "how long will they last", TO: websites where you could buy foreign made MRE's!!!

There was Every NATO Country, Russian, Polish, Chec, Indian Israli, I remember reading the Menu's and saying, well now, ~that~ is ~different~ pickled Herring with crackers for instance, now I don't know about You, but I have "Herring Steaks" in my BOB !!!!! With Pilot Bread, bought at Winco, bulk foods aisle.

I bought Two cases of Pilot Bread, oh, near a year back, I just opened my second case, but then...

I live in the Boondocks, and the neighborhood store... Isn't that. Close!!!!

My point being, I practice FI FO in my LT Foods.... And ~only~ buy what I eat... That is same same for MRE's you should be rotating them out, using them when you go hunting, whatever. Or Not. YMMV

I have 75 Pounds of Hard Red Winter Wheat Berries.... My first use of them was as sprouts, so as to see how they taste: great, and as it is live food, you get great enzimes, plus vitamins, and from a very small amount of space/weight you can carry many days food... As well as cracking it, and making a hot cereal of it... I don't carry a grinder to make flour with though ;-)

philip
    In the Boondocks, my nearest neighbor is,

A TREE !!!!

peetar and (deleted member) like this.
  20. peetar

Excellent and entertaining post!