JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A high 4/9 on the MMPI? For the record I am also a high 4/9 on the MMPI! [for those scratching your head a high 4/9 = high anger and high energy] Break into my place and someone will find out just how high my 4/9 is capable of going!

:s0140:

"Unless you are a trained professional, don't grab a weapon.
This includes firearms, baseball bats and pepper spray. They all sound like a good idea, but again, we don't know how the burglar will react to seeing an armed person. If they do have a weapon, they may be more likely to use it when they see you have one too. If you use pepper spray in an enclosed space, you and your family will also be affected by the pepper spray. If you use another weapon, such as a firearm and are not a trained professional, you run the risk of hurting yourself or a family member. And when a weapon is in your hand, you also run the risk of arriving police officers mistaking you for the intruder!"

Trained professionals miss all the time. I will take my chances with a former veteran, a scared mom or a determined sheep-dog dad any day when it comes to putting the bad guy down.

I don't buy security systems that run on batteries. Mine run on Purina. I find that they work in all weather conditions and despite some false alarms, mine know that if you are found in my home at night, you will be found there the next day as well.

The door wasn't locked to keep the intruders out. It was locked to keep them safe from me.

Intruders.... Smoke 'em if you got 'em.... :s0024:

Last Edited:
Gun control-No Wolves sign.png

I can see the marketing angle that Simplisafe is coming from in doing this. They want the public to believe that their product is the Holy Grail of Home Protection. If you have SimpliSafe installed, then you can rest easy and have nothing to worry about.

But in reality, any burglar alarm should be only one part of your home defense strategy. Having one does not mean that you ignore doing other things to keep you safe too.

They do actually make a good product. It is quite affordable, easily configurable and expandable, and works very well.

Every gun owner should have a burglar alarm installed, as well as a good gun safe, as we cannot be home all the time.

Geez... Eugene I understand, but Springfield? Used to be a lot of loggers and hunters... you know, real outdoorsmen.
Guess Springfield is filling up with Eugenics that need more affordable housing.
Glad I stay the hell away from Lane Cty.

True. Springfield is not as bad as Eugene. But the logging industry here is now nothing at all like what it used to be.

Housing costs are indeed lower in Springfield. But a lot of that has to do with the things the Eugene City Council is doing in restricting land use, and the city's urban growth boundary. The Eugene city government wants everyone to live in high density housing near the city's core, and ride bicycles.

There are actually calls for Springfield to be merged with Eugene. But so far, most Springfield residents seem to be highly opposed to that idea. Although they did merge the Fire Departments for both cities last year. And there have also been calls for merging the two police departments into one too.

If you have a large home, you could designate a perimeter of defense and only engage if that perimeter is compromised. The benefit being the avoidance of being named a defendant in a civil suit (and possibly avoidance of persecution by a liberal DA). I know they might take your stuff and it's wrong to enable any of it, but then again, I rather loose a TV, a computer and a watch, than years of peace and happiness in proceedings and legal fees.

Once that perimeter is broken, rest in pieces.

I'm doubtful that such a scenario would ever happen in the real world. A burglar might not realize that people are at home, and just merely discovering that the home is occupied could easily be enough to scare a burglar off.

On the other hand, if it is actually a home invasion, where the invader or invaders are aware the house is occupied, I'm doubtful that an intruder would ever be comfortable ransacking the house, while not knowing what the resident(s) are up to, or having any control over them. Home invasions generally involve the residents themselves being robbed. They are pretty brazen crimes. I don't think that they are going to leave you alone, and allow you to call 911, while they go about stealing things.

My TV is in my living room, but it is way too heavy, bulky, and fragile for a thief to be able to steal. My computer, guns, and any other valuable worth stealing are all in my bedroom, which is where I would defend myself.

Home invasion is not a common crime in the Eugene/Springfield area. I don't think that we have had any that are real recent. I know that there was one case in 2013 where a man woke up in the middle of the night, only to find himself having a shotgun barrel in his face. Fortunately another person in another bedroom managed to call police.

There was a home invasion back in 2012 where an 84 yr old woman was badly beaten and raped, as well as being robbed. And then there was another in 2011 where 3 men broke into a home, and one of them proceeded to beat the homeowner, while the other two ransacked the house.

But I have never heard of a home invasion case like the scenario that you describe, where the homeowner was left alone.

A lot of these perpetrators are drug addicts. And I don't think that one can count on a drug addict to behave rationally. In fact, we have had some meth addicts do some really crazy, insane stuff in our area recently.

The main purpose of the strategy is to gain time. You call 911 immediately (our alarm system has a dedicated button for it), you collect your family to a single location (in our case, upstairs master bathroom shower stall) and only once the intruders are making their way upstairs, you let them know that police is on their way and that you are armed and will shoot if they don't leave immediately. Now you are committed ...

Depending on how much time they spend in the lower part of the house, police might actually arrive, before them moving upstairs. We are about 2mins from our department. And hearing sirens may cause them to abort.

The strategy also is intended to know where the family is before you engage in a possible gun fight.

If you engage immediately it can get chaotic quickly.

Hopefully none of this will ever be tested ;-)

Last Edited:
:s0140:

"Unless you are a trained professional, don't grab a weapon.
This includes firearms, baseball bats and pepper spray. They all sound like a good idea, but again, we don't know how the burglar will react to seeing an armed person. If they do have a weapon, they may be more likely to use it when they see you have one too. If you use pepper spray in an enclosed space, you and your family will also be affected by the pepper spray. If you use another weapon, such as a firearm and are not a trained professional, you run the risk of hurting yourself or a family member. And when a weapon is in your hand, you also run the risk of arriving police officers mistaking you for the intruder!"

Trained professionals miss all the time. I will take my chances with a former veteran, a scared mom or a determined sheep-dog dad any day when it comes to putting the bad guy down.

I don't buy security systems that run on batteries. Mine run on Purina. I find that they work in all weather conditions and despite some false alarms, mine know that if you are found in my home at night, you will be found there the next day as well.

The door wasn't locked to keep the intruders out. It was locked to keep them safe from me.

Intruders.... Smoke 'em if you got 'em.... :s0024:

This always makes me laugh (so did the Purina remark). How often does an "untrained" victim (or any victim) hurt innocent people in a self defense shooting? I haven't seen it much in the news and I'm pretty sure there are editors out there who would pick up on this sort of thing.

The main purpose of the strategy is to gain time. You call 911 immediately (our alarm system has a dedicated button for it), you collect your family to a single location (in our case, upstairs master bathroom shower stall) and only once the intruders are making their way upstairs, you let them know that police is on their way and that you are armed and will shoot if they don't leave immediately. Now you are committed ...

Depending on how much time they spend in the lower part of the house, police might actually arrive, before moving upstairs. We are about 2mins from our department. And hearing sirens may cause them to abort.

The strategy also is intended to know where the family is before you engage in a possible gun fight.

If you engage immediately it can get chaotic quickly.

Hopefully none of this will ever be tested ;-)

I really did not write my previous message that well.

I'm not saying that it is not wise to retreat and hold up. That is what I would do too.

What I am pointing out is that home invasions are generally not like burglaries. Home invaders mean to rob and assault you. So they are not going to be distracted stealing stuff in other parts of your home.

And again, in my case ( and I suspect for many others ), all the good stuff that criminals want is in my bedrooms anyway. I doubt that they will bother stealing something like my microwave oven in my kitchen.

I've only once had a prowler try to get into my property, and it was several years ago. It was after midnight, but I was still awake, in my bedroom at the rear of the house. No lights were on in the front of the house, so the house would have looked dark from the street. I heard a huge racket, and quickly realized that someone was trying for force open my side gate to get into my backyard. However, I have a good strong fence, and the gate was padlocked. So the prowler got nowhere, and quickly gave up and ran. He was thwarted from the very start.

So just having some simple basics as having a good fence and a strong locked gate to deny access to my backyard, was enough for me that night. After that incident, I did a lot more to secure my home. Altogether, I spent a little over $4,000 over time. But my home would now be a nightmare for anyone to try to break into.

At one time we were being advised by Government experts on how to save ourselves during a nuclear attack by simply hiding in hallways with our heads between our knees. As it turns out, they only wanted us to kiss our arses goodbye....because of course they had bunkers to go to.
Then, more recently we were told to empty our defensive double-barrels uselessly into the night sky to frighten the bad guys. Again, showing us who's life they put a higher value on....of course their valuable hides are worth a contingent of armed guards 24/7/365.
Now we are being told by politicians that we can trust armed criminals to obey "gun free zone" signs far more than we, or our honest fellow citizens, can ever be trusted with their own defensive weapons...of course politicians now want your guns because they're afraid some of us may be catching on to where they're leading us.

upload_2015-10-19_23-56-40.png

Last Edited:
"........we don't know how the burglar will react,"

I'm pretty sure that he will react by being very surprised by the sudden punctures in his pump and breathers! :s0085::eek:

The article is written by a security system company, and one of the first things they suggest is getting a
security system. Ergo, I take the rest of the article with a giant grain of salt.

3. Unless you are a trained professional, don't grab a weapon. This includes firearms, baseball bats and pepper spray. They all sound like a good idea, but again, we don't know how the burglar will react to seeing an armed person. If they do have a weapon, they may be more likely to use it when they see you have one too. If you use pepper spray in an enclosed space, you and your family will also be affected by the pepper spray. If you use another weapon, such as a firearm and are not a trained professional, you run the risk of hurting yourself or a family member. And when a weapon is in your hand, you also run the risk of arriving police officers mistaking you for the intruder!

Lots of misinformation on this...but there are some good points to be had about firearms and home break-ins that we can take away/or add to with this.

Unless you are a trained professional, don't grab a weapon.

First off, the phrase "Trained Professional" gets me every time. I shoot more consistently than most professionals and have for years. People that have hunted for decades and know every inch of their own homes are way better prepared to deal with an intruder than an officer that shoots once a year and has never been inside your home.

...we don't know how the burglar will react to seeing an armed person.

This phrase couldn't be more true. You have no idea WHY THEY ARE EVEN IN YOUR HOME let alone how they will react. Are they coming to kill/rape/kidnap you/your family? Did they just kick in your door just to kick it in? Are they just trying to steal your stamp collection or is this a gang initiation and they have to leave with blood on their hands?

Home invasions have a different type of mentality than normal thieves that intentionally try to avoid people. Thieves typically don't like confrontations. They want to avoid being identified or have to run or fight someone for an item...while robbers or home invaders don't care. They target weak people and have done a threat assessment on you and think that they can either get away with what they are about to do or feel that the reward out ways the risk of dying or being caught. Either way, you're high on the priority list in their mindset as a victim and that is not a good place to be.

If they do have a weapon, they may be more likely to use it when they see you have one too.

This phrase should invoke laughter to everyone that teaches self defense. Not only is this subjected to debate, this phrase concludes that after seeing a weapon YOU will do the opposite (submit to their force) while if you have a weapon THEY may become enraged and attempt to harm you when they would not have, otherwise.

If you use pepper spray in an enclosed space, you and your family will also be affected by the pepper spray.

This is both true and false. Some types of pepper spray are target specific and only affect the area it comes into contact with. Not all pepper spray clears out entire houses or affects multiple people in multiple areas. Nevertheless, most of the self defense sprays are CONE or FOG type sprays that don't require the user to be target specific or need a lot of practice/training to become efficient in their use. If you do use spray in your homes or in a work setting, I recommend FOAM or GEL type sprays that only hit the person you are aiming at.

If you use another weapon, such as a firearm and are not a trained professional, you run the risk of hurting yourself or a family member.

This is negligible when you consider that you run the risk of the bad guy harming you and your family. It's like saying you shouldn't have knives in your home because you run the risk of someone getting stabbed.

The real laughable part is when the rest of the article tells people to jump out their windows or climb in closets.

I have two children....both under the age of 4 in separate rooms down a hallway. If I hear a bump in the night I'm checking on them. It would be stupid of me not to do it armed as well as it would be stupid of me clearing each room like I was clearing a house in Afghanistan...but that's neither here nor there.

LibTards want you to run from your own home and call the cops...then want you to record and question everything a cop says or does at every scene because they can't be trusted...blows my mind.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top