JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Several trips with some new and existing gear that I have not touched, figured I'd reduce weight. Evaluate what I got rid of...

-Folding saw, works well when used on tree limbs in yard, but have yet to have to use it in the wild.
-Isopro fuel and stove, originally packed this for when you want to be discreet and can't have a fire, but I pack food that doesn't require cooking, so this is a luxury for camping, not INCH bag.
-Ditched extra knife, this was a thick name brand survival knife but my Bushman, multi tool and pocket knife provide redundancy as it is and I've used my pocket knife MANY times for batoning, making feather sticks, fire steel striker (back of blade).
-Large Baofeng radio antenna. Have had full signal strength everywhere, with the normal antenna, in fact I'm considering ditching the radio itself.
-Cotton balls and vaseline. Tried both a few times, and although cotton balls and vaseline have been my go to for a long time, I took them out as I have added fatwood recently and this was redundant. Fatwood is more efficient/can give you many more fires for the same amount of weight and space (mayan dust, etc.)

Not a bad start.
How many total lbs are left?
What items could be replaced by lighter but durable items?
Is the pack itself stupid heavy (USGI stuff for example)?
Are you carrying thousands of rounds of ammo?
Considered adding wheels or a cart of some sort?

Not a bad start.
How many total lbs are left?
What items could be replaced by lighter but durable items?
Is the pack itself stupid heavy (USGI stuff for example)?
Are you carrying thousands of rounds of ammo?
Considered adding wheels or a cart of some sort?

35.6 lbs left

I have an aqua quest silnylon tarp ($100, expensive for a tarp), inflatable pad, and a multi use poncho/ground cloth/hammock (500lb weight capability). Was tempted to put my 1 man seam sealed (sealed myself) tent in, but it is a 3-5 lbs. I need to weigh it but it's bulky and heavier. It ways 2.4 lbs more than my current setup and my current setup is flexible. Very tempting because I've tested it in 22 degree weather and got snowed over, but was toasty warm even in a summer sleeping bag. Being out of the wind is important. But depends on how often you get wind and you can make a makeshift tent out of a tarp. I COULD ditch either the tarp or the poncho/hammock and just roll up in one or the other as my shelter. It would be a very concealed shelter. I slept in something like that when I was lost in the mountains on a hike once. One of them mylar tarp blankets. It worked...in the summer but at high elevation where there was still snow.

Pack is heavyish, I need to weigh it but usually packs like this are 3-5 lbs because they are built to last.

Not sure how I'd add wheels to it. Some ideas coming up but that would add weight and luckily the pack is the most comfortable pack I've ever had. It's super light on the hips and maneuverable. Pack is pretty paired down. I have 1 weeks food in there and a fishing kit.

Currently I have a mummy sleeping bag that is one of those el cheapo suisse sport bags. I have used it in freezing temperatures and was warm. I think it weighed 3-4 lbs or so last time I weighed it. Tempting to get rid of it and go with something else, but exposure is the number 1 killer in survival. I have used mylar blankets in the summer and was toasty warm. Not sure about winter though, doubt it would be sufficient.

Last Edited:
That all sounds pretty decent. I've found that frames and suspension tend to drive the majority of the weight in most packs these days if they're not military :rolleyes:

I use a 1970s Hirsch Weiss goose down sleeping bag as my primary for most weather, paired with poncho liner or down throw, sometimes a modified summer top quilt that can boost warmth for much colder weather... in a hammock setup, I use a double costco down throw underquilt, if I need more insulation on the bottom, I have a down throw I can layer for a triple layer down underquilt.. while using the goose down mummy bag with a liner up top. My tarp shelters are all self-made except the 1.9oz PU Bushcraft USA 10x10 tarp. The 1.9oz A-tacs pyramid tarp tent has no floor, but packs smaller than the BCUSA 10x10 , because it is a smaller shelter and has less fabric. With the A-tacs shelter, I use the Catoma IBNS on top of an inflatable army pad which packs smaller than the old foam pad, but this eliminates hammock and underquilt system, so its roughly same weight. Depending on what I bring, its either going into my 2,000ci MOLLE pack that I made myself, or into a different backpack that I also made myself :) I have USGI packs mostly for car trips or as starting points for measurements of custom packs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top