JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What stones are good for sharpening D2 steel. I've heard it is a harder steel to sharpen but, has good edge retention. Looking to touch up a couple folding knives with this steel.:s0155:

I have that same lansky set. I'll sell it to you for a good price if you want it. I used it twice.

It works really well to sharpen a knife with an existing secondary bevel, but it takes forever to establish that bevel. I switched to using a belt sander and haven't touched it since.

What stones are good for sharpening D2 steel. I've heard it is a harder steel to sharpen but, has good edge retention. Looking to touch up a couple folding knives with this steel.:s0155:

Can't be as hard to sharpen as my old Buck folder stainless blade... once that lost the edge, I was all done.

I use this 1" x 30" Belt/5" Disc Combo Sander at Grizzly.com

There are a ton of attachments for consistent angles and the like, but I just freehand it. It also let's you do convex edges, and the leather stropping belt is a great way to touch up a bevel and get it hair popping sharp.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpening-Leather-Premium-Quality-Silicon/dp/B07R638S3W

An angle guide if that's your cup of tea.
Knife Sharpening Angle Guide fits 1X30 Belt Sander with Assorted 5 Pack of 1X30 Sharpening Sanding Belts - - Amazon.com

I use a Rikon Low Speed grinder for my working knives: pocket knife, wood carving knives, and chisels.

The kitchen knives all get the by-hand treatment.

None of my blades are D2. Sorry, man, I've got no experience to aid you in this.

For traditional hand stoning, I use and swear by India Stones, usually a rough stone in 600 grit all the way up to a 1200 grit, and a strop after if that's the edge I need! India stones will sharpen Damascus steel, Arkansas stones will not! The Lanski type kits can do it, but your going to be replacing the stones often! I have never been able to get diamond stones to give a consistent result, some times requiring more effort, and some times less!

India stones will sharpen Damascus steel, Arkansas stones will not!

That's the first time I've heard that before. Most Damascus is just pattern welded 1084 and 15n20. If not those exact steels, it's generally 2 different high carbon steels, one if which having a higher nickel content.

I've used my Arkansas stone on both high carbon Damascus, and stainless Damascus (s30v variety) to great success.

I was a grocery store meat cutter/meat manager for 20 years before making a career change 15 years ago. You learned quickly the importance of sharp knives. The only thing we ever used, and what I still use today is the big Norton's 3 stone, oil stones. Not cheap but for occasional home use they will outlive you. The individual stones are replaceable. You can keep adequate mineral oil in them without spilling it all over and the stones are of very high quality. I use a medium, only when needed, fine and extra fine stones, they make everything from extra coarse to extra fine but unless you are chopping firewood with your knives, the fine and extra fine are usually adequate, the medium for abused knives or when sharpening someone else's knives that they have ground down to a dull edge. Their stones are incredibly flat and with such large stones it is easy to control wear evenly across the surface and to sharpen large knives.
Amazon - Norton IM313 Triple Oil Stone

sharpeningproducts-systems-im313withprops.jpg

I have the Lansky and it works well. If you go in that direction, spend the extra 12 bucks and get the pedestal mount. You just screw it to a small board. It makes a difference if you have to sit there and re establish an edge. I use the Lansky now and then. My wife is brutal on our Shun Edo kitchen knives which is why I got it. For in between I just use a couple of cylindrical stones I found at the Goodwill, one rough and the other ultra smooth. Best score I had all year there. I agree with the others who got the belt sander though.

For what it's worth, I started sharpening my chisels (both lathe & wood) using a technique from a woodworking magazine. I use a 1" harbor freight vertical belt sander (with various grits of belts, depending on just how dull my tools are) and then use my bench buffing machine with the correct "rouge" to put the fine edge on it. I have always hated "stoning" my tools to get them sharp again. This methodology has been working very well for me and I've become more inclined to keep that edge on my cutting tools rather than trying to "horse" my way through a project. I use the same technique on my pocket and sheath knives. Hope this helps you guys.

Greatly appreciate the replies and suggestions! Since I live in a small mobile home, I cannot do the equipment that requires a garage or work space. The Lansky system looks like the right option for my situation so, I did the deluxe kit (5 stones) and the mount. :s0155:

Greatly appreciate the replies and suggestions! Since I live in a small mobile home, I cannot do the equipment that requires a garage or work space. The Lansky system looks like the right option for my situation so, I did the deluxe kit (5 stones) and the mount. :s0155:
I have a pastor friend that solved the sharpening issue by learning how to nap flint and obsidian. He made me an obsidian knife with a stag handle that was an amazing tool. When I quit hunting, I gave it to a friend who had been admiring it ever since I got it. He has cut himself severely, a couple of times and says that he always thinks of me when he does it.

I sharpen knives as a side line job and use an Edgepro for most any knife with good steel, I love D2 steel and can get it very sharp.

For the OP.
As a bladesmith who sharpens a lot of knives, I only buy eze-lap diamond plates anymore, the 3x8 size.
I've tried most brands and these hold up the best. 3x8 size is a bit of a splurge as far as price is concerned, but the size is really nice to use compared to the more common 2x6.
400g is good for establishing a bevel, 600g makes a good working edge, spray with rubbing alcohol to make a slurry. Finish it off on a leather strop and it's shaving sharp.
They're made in the USA!

We must also consider simply switching to the Ginsu knife of TV advertising fame. Honestly, if have a need to cut up a frozen turkey and then cut a bunch of flowers, then saw a brick in half, then shave your arm and finally slice a tomato into very thin slices, then the Ginsu is your knife of choice. It comes with a lifetime guarantee, looks great with your tactical sunglasses and only costs $9.95! But wait! If you order in the next ten minutes they'll send you a 2nd Ginsu knife for free! Just pay separate charges and shipping and handling. Call now! Operators that don't speak English are standing by to take your credit card information and sell it on the Dark Web. Call Now!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top