JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I recently started lifting weights again because my doctor has been on my case about doing more to manage my Diabetes.

I took 3 years off from the gym to focus on my intake. I dropped 35 lbs by this and walking.

I'm at the gym PDX Barbell Club and one of the owners asks me where that shop is located. I'm wearing my Northwest Firearms tshirt.

I told him that it was the forum. Next thing I know we are talking how he is a first time firearms owner and looking for places to go.

The next day we head out to NF Wolf Creek Road. He sees my steel target setup and is hooked.

We're now going in together on a dueling tree.

How have you shared this sport?

With wife, kids, grandkids, inlaws, brothers, nephews, nieces, friends from church, students from Spain. I prefer to take them to an outdoor location and make a day of it: snacks and lunch, cleanup the mess we always find, try out different long guns and handguns, etc.

This thread is specifically about the next generation, but you get the idea...

I need to make more friends that actually like to shoot often!
Looking into going to Kagwerks Pistol & Carbine level 1 course in Eugene in August. Anyone else interested??

As for who I've shared this hobby with, my brother! He's hooked now and always wants to come when I go out. He doesn't have guns or ammo but it doesn't bother me seeing as he is my brother lol. But it would be cool to meet new friends with different firearms that like to train!

So, I recently started lifting weights again because my doctor has been on my case about doing more to manage my Diabetes.

I took 3 years off from the gym to focus on my intake. I dropped 35 lbs by this and walking.

I'm at the gym PDX Barbell Club and one of the owners asks me where that shop is located. I'm wearing my Northwest Firearms tshirt.

I told him that it was the forum. Next thing I know we are talking how he is a first time firearms owner and looking for places to go.

The next day we head out to NF Wolf Creek Road. He sees my steel target setup and is hooked.

We're now going in together on a dueling tree.

How have you shared this sport?

I know it may be hard for some of you to believe this, but ALTHOUGH I go out of my way to generally be polite to everyone, I'm not shy (when appropriate mind you) about what I like (or quantifiably dislike), think, and believe.

I never pass an opportunity to bring up the COMMON SENSE benefits of one the most arguably greatest inventions of human history that has freed millions (if not billions) from tyranny and slavery, as well as continues to KEEP them free (and equal) to this very day... if they but have the will.

I've found there's no better way to initially promote firearms to the "uninitiated", and the wonderful (almost mystical) concept of freedom, security, self-determination, being a CITIZEN and not a subject, and the effective means to resist those who would rob you of all that... should you have the desire and will.

(Notice how I always mention having THE WILL)

Although there'll always be some people you just can't reach (because they're irreparably conditioned to be comfortable living in mental captivity... and misery LOVES company), positive enthusiasm for freedom (for all) is generally contagious. If they positively respond to those concepts then I go on from there, and over time I have assuaged the ignorant fear of "assault weapons" from a broad spectrum of demographics out there... it's literally like being a "fisher of men".

We will all die someday, and when my time comes I'll be standing on my feet (at least in my mind). ;)

I have taken several first time potential gun owners at work out. I bring a good selection of different hand guns so they can feel the difference between several 380's, 9mm's and 45's. I show them proper operation of the different firearms, the difference between SA, DA, striker fired, revolvers, etc. And SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!!!!

I will help them find a proper hold that works well for them but never get into correcting their stance, form, etc. (unless it is dangerous or detracts from their shooting experience)... that takes away from learning about the firearm and proper safety.

Some things I don't think to show them so they ask... like how to rack the slide on a semi-auto with a heavy spring. It never occurred to me that this is something that had to be learned... but it is!

My most favored pistol by rookies by far is my Browning 1911 - 380! But no one has purchased one after discussing the differences in power between the different cartridges and telling them the price of the Browning.

I have gone to the store with 3 of them... 2 Springfield XD mod 2 3.3" in .45 purchases and a CZ 75 compact purchase... I should be getting a commission!

Basically I try to give them what I wish I had when I was first starting out. I never take more than one person out at a time and pretty much don't do any shooting myself.

P.S. Every guy will say they have "some" experience when in fact they have none. Women are more honest about not knowing anything about guns.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads