JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few years ago, my FIL was helping me rebuild my back fence. While we were working on removing the old posts that had been set in concrete, I remarked that I was afraid to do too much digging because I might find something I don't want to find. Not 5 minutes later, the shovel sticks to something and I pull it out, expecting to find part of a tree root attached. Instead, I see what looks for all the world like the top 5" or so of a femur, complete with the offest and the ball. We quit digging and decided that hole could be a little shallow. No clue what it was, and I sure don't want to know. Threw it back in the hole and added concrete with the new post.

Sometimes when I'm in town and in a busy place where there are multiple groups of people and none of them are speaking English, I wonder if I've been sent into some alternate reality.

Hearing Russian, Spanish, and Filipino simultaneously while thinking WTF in English is a trip.
Ha I lived in south tacoma where english is a foreign language.
Mine was just living in the 70's and south tacoma and working downtown seattle

I saw something over twenty years ago that creeped me out then and still does. Two other persons and myself were called on to subdue a young man who had assaulted his roommate and was crazy strong on drugs.

I remember that he was of average height and weight and unobtrusively muscular. After a hard struggle we finally had him restrained and were waiting for AMR to take him to the hospital. I remember that he was wearing jeans and a white T-shirt that he had trimmed with a pair of scissors so that it only came down to his breast bone leaving his abdomen exposed.

He was laying on his left side when the muscles on the right side only of his abdomen slowly expanded and kept on expanding until they stood out in chiseled relief like he was a professional body builder, or the Hulk or some one. They then slowly retracted and I was just looking at his flat belly again. The left side of his abdomen had not changed at all.

I don't know what kind of a chemical cocktail this guy was on but to see it's effect on him was plum scary.

I was hitchhiking through Mexico in 1978 (having been picked up on US 93/95/466 just east of Boulder City NV). At about 0200, in the middle of lettuce fields, I ran over what had to be a boa over 40 foot long. (I am not exaggerating, because it extended across three lanes and the center media of a divided Mexican Federal Highway (#15). The blessed thing was at least nine inches in diameter and nearly tore out the suspension of the Ford Pinto that I was driving. (The man that owned the car was sleeping in the seat next to me).

I'll affirm my story under oath, if need be.

I was hitchhiking through Mexico in 1978 (having been picked up on US 93/95/466 just east of Boulder City NV). At about 0200, in the middle of lettuce fields, I ran over what had to be a boa over 40 foot long. (I am not exaggerating, because it extended across three lanes and the center media of a divided Mexican Federal Highway (#15). The blessed thing was at least nine inches in diameter and nearly tore out the suspension of the Ford Pinto that I was driving. (The man that owned the car was sleeping in the seat next to me).

Good thing my mother wasn't there, or she'd never go *anywhere* again... as it is, just getting her to meet me at Fred's on her way home from work and haul her groceries is pain in the arse and usually the argument ends with "if you want to EAT, you're GOING to help me out with YOUR errands. Either that, or you can clog your arteries with drive-thru and have a coronary at the wheel for all I care."

I swear, my whole f***ed-up family is a trip into Rod Serling Land... and that's not even looking at the "Should Not Bes" just of my own existence.

A few years ago, my FIL was helping me rebuild my back fence. While we were working on removing the old posts that had been set in concrete, I remarked that I was afraid to do too much digging because I might find something I don't want to find. Not 5 minutes later, the shovel sticks to something and I pull it out, expecting to find part of a tree root attached. Instead, I see what looks for all the world like the top 5" or so of a femur, complete with the offest and the ball. We quit digging and decided that hole could be a little shallow. No clue what it was, and I sure don't want to know. Threw it back in the hole and added concrete with the new post.

Great, now we'll never know what happened to Jimmy Hoffa.

Take off the makeup and that mystery is solved.

SSrBLZ5xDMpOCNO9MZPyzMnIv7zUl-b_J97ATb9qgcSlktjrp1.jpg

Worked on a Navy warship in 1986 and led the investigation of a major theft from a very secure space (with bank vault style combination locks on both external doors). No espionage involved, it was just civilian stuff worth a lot of money.

Long story short, a young Lieutenant (not the thief, but a grossly negligent key player) was relieved of his commission, kicked out of the Navy and flown off the ship when we got within helo range of Diego Garcia (Indian Ocean, halfway between Somalia and Australia).

Back in the US and heading home, he swung through Portland to visit the parents of his best friend. This couple already had dinner plans with my parents, so he was invited too. During supper, the talk turned to Navy stuff and my mom asked if he'd ever heard my name. He said, "Oh yes, I know exactly who your son is and he's very good at his job."

Small world.

So 1989, I bought my first ever brand new vehicle a nice shiny red 1989 Dodge truck.
It had Posi, Air, skid plates all the cool stuff a truck should have. I test drove a truck and loved it they then went and got my new truck undriven zero miles out from a warehouse a few blocks away. I did the paperwork got my self ready to go, truck pulls up what a beauty ever smell that new never been used vehicle smell even the engine smelled like a new mower does when you first start one. I walk out with the sales guy and stop short.

I look at him and say ummm where the bumper ? He said they don't come with rear bumpers they are extra. I was like what the F**K are you talking about the truck I test drove had one.
Now maybe I am old school and maybe its cause I was still living in Komifornia, but I never ever heard of a truck without a bumper. I told him if there is no bumper take the truck back.
After some haggling and cussing they took it to the shop right then and put one on it no charge.

A truck being sold without bumpers.......... ? OK ?

Another "New vehicle" story....

In the late 80's, around 88-89, I saw the new(er) Firebird Formula 350. Loaded. Yeah baby! Test drive was awesome except for the AT. In a car like that, grabbing gears would have been more fun.

Got back to the lot and was just walking in to "negotiate". I happened to turn and noticed the window sticker said $3800 option for the Automatic Transmission. I told the guy, I want one with the manual transmission. He said that they don't come with an manual transmission. They only come with the automatic.

{Twilight zone entered here}

I asked, "If they don't make a manual transmission for these, and they only come in automatics, isn't that a standard piece of equipment, and NOT an "option"?

He proceeded to tell me "NO". I would either have to pay the $3800 for the automatic transmission or they would have to special order one for me without a transmission. That would be the only way to get out of paying for the AT.

At the time I thought, "I know I'm in the White Sands area, I wonder if this guy was "visited" one night and was return damaged."

Many years later I realize it was a typical salesman trying to sell what was on the lot.

CRUD! Now you have me wondering..... was it $1800 or $3800? I honestly want to say it was $3800. I knew it was A LOT compared to the total price of the car.

It was many beers ago, and many MANY moons....

Maybe I was "visited" and returned damaged and have no recollection too??? o_O

You know, Theodore Roosevelt started a contest at some NY zoo in which anyone who brought in a wild snake over 35 (or so) feet long won a nice sum of cash. To this day nobody`s claimed it, a few have come close but nobody`s actually had a snake long enough.

As for stuff that relates to the thread, I have a couple stories. One of my own and a another from family:

I was out hiking with a friend in an undisclosed location when we heard a crack and pop just before a tree just ahead of us developed a bullet hole. We both dove to cover and drew our shooters (we hike armed in the middle of absolute nowheresville). After creeping to better cover than an old log my buddy drew my attention to the glint of some glass dug into the hillside opposite the ravine. We agreed that it`s a terrible idea but we had numbers and a plan so we flanked it. When we arrived, there was no sign of anyone having been there for at least a year, but we did find some old, rusty .308 cases. I still have them. There were no trails leading off into the woods like someone had tried a quick egress, and both of us neither heard nor saw someone making an escape.

An uncle on the Eastern Bloc side of the family was an unofficial rescuer for airmen and paratroops during the Yugoslav breakup apocalypse of the 1990s. He claims to have seen a bomber of somesort quickly losing altitude and smoking like a chimney as it descended towards the mountainside before receiving radio transmissions from the crew claiming that they`re going down and need help fast. He thought it was odd that a prop plane would still be flying combat missions in the 1990s but all kinds of weird things turn in in guerrilla wars. So he geared up to go grab the crew and finally located the wreck later that day. However, the arboreal canopy overhead was for the most part undisturbed, and the wreck was rusty as can be. It had clearly been there for years. As he picked through the wreckage he made his way to the cockpit and found only skeletons. That`s where he always refuses to continue.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top