JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure this fits into a "self-defense" thread, but it might be of interest to those of you who have young kids.

My buddy and I were somewhere around 7 years old. We were out in a hilly, wooded area having the kinds of adventures Tom Sawyer would like - climbing trees, exploring, burning our initials into tree stumps with a magnifying glass. Basically just out there being boys.

Along comes a group of older boys (3 of them, I think - maybe 12 years old). One of them has a fiberglass bow and some arrows, the kind that was common in those days. He draws the bow, points the arrow at us, and says "Get on your knees, or I'll shoot you."

So my buddy and I get on our knees. This kid puts the tip of the arrow (bow still drawn) to my temple, and says "I could kill you right now if I wanted to." He makes me repeat it back to him.

And that was all they wanted. They left. We left. I never found out who they were.

Lessons learned:

Some people seem to be born bad. Don't underestimate a kid's capacity for evil.

Bad things can/do happen to the unsuspecting, the innocent, and the vulnerable.

If you're caught unprepared, do what is necessary to survive. As 7-year-olds, we had no thought of fighting back against those bullies.

Most encounters in my life have been good ones. But that one, early on, showed me that bad people show up from time to time.

Not really very exciting but curious for those in rural areas.....I lived in the woods for 10 years until moving into town 3 yrs ago (wife and school+ commute......) anyway, Im in my "yard" (on my property) plinkin with the AR. We had 33 acres at the time on the back of Hagg. All of the sudden a car comes screaming up the driveway. Im standing there, AR in hand(s). Female driver starts to get out and I tell her to stop. Thats when I realized that they were tweeking....or something.....they were F-ing high..... She kept approaching me asking me questions and rambling nonsense. She wasnt actually my concern. My attention was with the dude in the passenger seat. My rifle was at a relaxed position but with both hands on it......you all know.....As she continued to come towards me I began to slowly step back while telling her to stop. She didnt. When she got about 10-15 feet away I swung my rifle up and was fixed on the dude in the passenger seat who was keeping eye contact but fiddle bubbleguming around with something. Thats when my "GET THE bubblegum OUTTA HERE" voice came out.....She put her hands up and backed to the car. They ended up backing down my road (driveway) and bailing....I got another situation that happened at the same place about a year later. Apparently my old house was a drug house that was seized by the feds. This goes back to the 80s or so.....Anyway, dude who owned the place back when it was taken showed up.... (im making a long story short) He pulled onto the property then turned around (which isint unusual btw) but the parked just off the land, on the county road. When he started walking up I went out of the house. I was NOT armed. He started rambling a bunch of crap while walking THROUGH me......yeah it was weird. I couldnt stop him. He was on a mission. My mother in laws boy toy saw what what was going on through the front window and grabbed the shotgun. Basically, he met us at the back of the house with that gun pointed at dudes face and told him to go the bubblegum away.....scared the bubblegum outta me......
My Mom moved into the house in Seaside that was raffled off via an international scam/essay writing contest. It also was a longtime heroin dealing place by the same guy that wound up in prison for one or both of the above.
I found out about this character and this oddness on the radio and just put the pieces together (well, by internet searching) while she was living there. Some nutso stuff happened at that place and I'm glad she moved out pretty quick. Forewarned is forearmed..

I have a few. One was when I lived in a different state. Saw two of my neighbors fighting. One was obviously high and aggressive. I see him hit the guy with a board, break it, and stabbed him in the arm with the shattered piece. It went through his lower arm. He grabs an aluminum bat and tells the guy to bob and weave. At this point I get my .22 which was all I had in my apartment at that time. I stuck the barrel out the window, and called 911. 26 minutes I held that guy in my sights till the cops showed up.

He later threatened to kill that bastard with the gun to my face while carrying a cordless skillsaw. He didn't know it was me.

I have a few others. I grew up in a bit of a rough neighborhood. My SKS was wielded in home defense twice before I was 18.

I have used knives, & guns in self defense.

One thing nobody really tells you is how bad it messes with your head to put someone in your sights, and feel the pressure on the trigger, knowing you might have to pull it. It is something I hope and pray I never have to do again.

These are the kind of things that make this so much scarier these day. The "drug zombies" I call them. People so high on who knows what, that they are often disconnected from reality. Those guys I dealt with several decades ago where looking like some kind of street trash but there brains still slowly responded. Often the drug zombies brains do not. They can be VERY dangerous if you allow them to get their hands on you.

The people in the car, the tweekers, they were definitely high. The second dude, not so much....I honestly to this day think he was sober. And thats what scared me. We knew the property history but figured so much time had passed....we were wrong. He was walking toward (THROUGH) me telling me bubblegum (I already knew) but was obviously there for something. We still think there's something buried on the land somewhere. Money, bodies, guns, drugs.......SOMETHING....It was weird dude. You ever had someone walk through you like you didnt even exist? Its an erie feeling. I think my buddy saw what was happening and the panic on my face and thats why he did what he did......The second the dude saw the gun he was just like whatever, Ill come back another day.....Im serious man, scared the bubbleguming bubblegum outta us....

The wombat has some honey badger in him. lol
Have to, to survive where I grew up. That and a ton of scars. I was unlike some of you, the smallest in the neighborhood growing up. I got beat up severely, I have been stabbed, and had my skull fractured. I think my number of broken bones is 32. So, yeah, I have self defense stories. Most of them are fairly mundane though. I am still alive though, which in my opinion is the point.

Have to, to survive where I grew up. That and a ton of scars. I was unlike some of you, the smallest in the neighborhood growing up. I got beat up severely, I have been stabbed, and had my skull fractured. I think my number of broken bones is 32. So, yeah, I have self defense stories. Most of them are fairly mundane though. I am still alive though, which in my opinion is the point.

I grew up in an area similar to yours....Ive always told my buddies here (cause they still dont consider me an Oregonian, rather a d-bag Cali boy......) about stories growing up and they dont believe me. Well, some of them believe me now since they've met my friends and relatives and spent some some time in my old stomping grounds.....Anyway, I always tell them Id either be dead or in prison if I stayed.....thats the truth.....I get it.....

Last Edited:
I grew up in an area similar to yours....Ive always told my buddies here (cause they still dont consider me an Oregonian, rather a d-bag Cali boy......) about stories growing up and they dont believe me. Well, some of them believe me now since they've met my friends and relatives and spent some some time in my old stomping grounds.....Anyway, I always tell them Id either be dead or in peison if I stayed.....thats the truth.....I get it.....
I'm 3rd gen Oregonite but grew up a bit around Oakland and on Oahu. Being a cocky haole in racist central Hawaii makes for some interesting stories.

yea, that too. lol

haol·e
[ˈhoulē]
NOUN
haoles (plural noun)
  1. derogatory
    (in Hawaii) a person who is not a native Hawaiian, especially a white person.

LOL, yeah I got it man...word play...kinda like foreplay but for the smart.....I know the term, Im an old surfer.....LOL

Someone that looks like me caught a guy stealing a stereo out if a truck that looked like my neighbor's and smacked the perp on the head hard enough to burst the D-Cells in a maglight that looked alot like mine.

Someone that looks like me caught a guy stealing a stereo out if a truck that looked like my neighbor's and smacked the perp on the head hard enough to burst the D-Cells in a maglight that looked alot like mine.

LOL, those lights make a great impromptu baton. While back at second job some asshat broke into my car there in the wee hours when I was there alone. I set up motion alarms after that. Owner knew I carried. Was not anti but felt no one really needed a gun. He asked me one day "so you're not going to like shoot someone in my parking lot are you?" I laughed and said no, not unless they came at me with weapon. I said would it be OK if I Taser them and maybe work their hand over with a maglight? He said that was fine with him. I think he was just scared he was going to roll in one morning and find crime scene tape all over in his parking lot. :)

I was working the door at a "sports club" in Sydney, Australia. "Sports club" is Aussie for "bar." :D

Anyway, it was a members only kinda place and my job was to check membership, sign guests in, etc. I was not hired or expected to be the bouncer...which of course didn't last long. The door was downstairs from the bar so I could never see what was going on. The male bartenders usually handled their own messes pretty well. And if the female bartenders needed help they would usually yell down from the top of the stairs. There was an occasional scuffle but nothing really serious. Mostly drunk members shoving one another and I'd just push them apart and either get them to shake hands or boot them. Then of course one night the bartender came flying down the stairs screaming, "CABO! I need you now!," and not in the kind of way you hope to hear from a woman.

So I go running up to see what all the fuss is about and these two guys had actually gotten into it. Guy number 1 was in his early 20's, about 5' 10 and 170 lbs. I'm 6' 4", 200 lbs so he wasn't worrying me too much. But that didn't matter cause Guy #1 really didn't look like he was doing too well...and that's when I saw why.

Dear god! Guy #2 was 6' 2" and 350 lbs if he was an ounce...and he sure as hell wasn't fat. Enormous Maori rugby guy. And he was looking at me like, "oh cool, round #2 is here cause I'm just gettin warmed up." I looked at this guy and knew he a) wasn't going to go quietly, and b) was enjoying the hell out of this.

So I look back to Guy #1 and said, "sorry mate, you're outta here...they don't pay me enough to deal with this."

Guy #2 starts laughing...thank god...and says, "oh, you're American." I said, "Yup...I'm also a lover and not a fighter. Why don't you go back to the bar and chill." And he did, thankfully.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top