JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey you NEED a trusty Boy Scout Manual NO JOKE has TONS of useful info!! Techniques on proper map reading and compass use (orientation, diviation, etc) tons of different USEFUL KNOTS very invaluable skillset!! Also proper Waste diposal etc. Proper packing why you should use WOOL. WHERE to find maps. Just a total invaluable book! MUST HAVE SERIOUSLY dont take my word for it just GET it YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED

The BOY SCOUTS of AMERICA handbook!!

NW Foraging in AWESOME book too I second the notion, checked it out the other day such a cool book. (might just "lose" it and buy it!) Waitin for Back to Basics now (got a hold on it)

Hey you NEED a trusty Boy Scout Manual NO JOKE has TONS of useful info!! Techniques on proper map reading and compass use (orientation, diviation, etc) tons of different USEFUL KNOTS very invaluable skillset!! Also proper Waste diposal etc. Proper packing why you should use WOOL. WHERE to find maps. Just a total invaluable book! MUST HAVE SERIOUSLY dont take my word for it just GET it YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED

The BOY SCOUTS of AMERICA handbook!!

NW Foraging in AWESOME book too I second the notion, checked it out the other day such a cool book. (might just "lose" it and buy it!) Waitin for Back to Basics now (got a hold on it)

So true about the Boyscout Handbook. I picked one up at their headquarters downtown last year and not only is it a great field guide, but they have lots of other books and mini guides on specifics and camping gear and stuff for the kids. And the guys working there are really nice and helpful. Plus it's nice being able to support the Boyscouts. :s0155:

Soldier's Manual of Common Tasks

It's had different covers throughout the years, but it's still the same good info. You can buy a book or download a pdf.

6631299-M.jpg 1342029631.png soldiers-manual-common-tasks-warrior-skills-department-defense-paperback-cover-art.jpg

One of my fav peices of info besides the knots. Was they say to wear TWO pairs of socks when hiking. A thick wool outter sock and a thinner either wool or sinthetic inner sock. It keeps moisture away from your feet and helps prevent blisters. "A HIKER is only as good as there feet..."-qoute form someone in the book lol Good info "Bunny" I just dug out my old B.S.A. book, gonna have to go down and check out some others on more specific techniques and skills. GOnna have to hunt at old book stores and try to find that soldiers manual looks like the "All Growed up" version of the BSA manual.

Definatly makes me miss those good ol days. The older I get the younger I wish I was! (Ironically, When I was a kid all I wanted was to grow up lol)

You will be inpressed by the shelters they SHOW you how to make bridges too! Flag poles you could have the nicest camp in all the land lol

I learned about the importance of socks the hard way. Same with keeping warm. Wool is your friend! IMO, it's a must-have for our climate in the cold/rainy months. I like a nice silk liner sock under a thick wool sock. Provides plenty of warmth (even if wet) and cushion. I never go camping without wool socks or a wool blanket anymore. Synthetic materials have their place, but I swear by silk and wool. Layers ftw.

What about good rain gear? Anyone have any luck with goretex or a similar material? Is it worth the xtra $ or do the heavy rubberish bibs and jacket work just as good? Best deal on Goretex? Maybe surplus military pants and jacket that have it or a is there a more affordable solutuon? Maybe somehing that wont make me look like a rambo wannabe lol

What about good rain gear? Anyone have any luck with goretex or a similar material? Is it worth the xtra $ or do the heavy rubberish bibs and jacket work just as good? Best deal on Goretex? Maybe surplus military pants and jacket that have it or a is there a more affordable solutuon? Maybe somehing that wont make me look like a rambo wannabe lol

I can't speak for everyone but I LOVE Gortex and it was definitely worth a little extra money for it IMO. I have a Gortex jacket outter shell (no liner just waterproof shell, pockets, and hood) from Cabelas (Think I paid $75 for it on sale when it's normally $100something), some 5.11 Gortex pants, and some Gortex Danner boots (on sale for $65 in the summer, normally $180) .... and I sat outside by a campfire in the Tillamook Natl Forest in November for over 5 hours in the rain and didn't get wet AT ALL. I could have gone under the tarps or tent but I wanted to be closer to the fire to keep it going and to stay warm and the rain didn't effect me one bit. I wanted to see what my gear could really do and the water just kept beading off. It never once soaked through. And all I had on under was a cold wear under armor long sleeve shirt, and some thermal pants. I was warm and dry the whole time, even sitting on a wet chair in the open while it poured. To dry off I just shook the Gortex shell and hung it over a chair for a little while. My boots were great too. Not a bit of soak through. Though I did hit em with some waterproof spray prior to using them. I have an insulated Gortex hat that repels water just the same. And Gortex is light weight. I'm not sure how it performs with lots of wear or if you run it through a dryer often (which I choose not to), but I'm very happy with everything Gortex that I own. I just have a few pieces and layer it over everything that isn't waterproof.

I'm not a big fan of rubber because it's heavy and doesn't breathe like Gortex. It blocks water out extremely well, but holds moister in extremely well too. Depending on what you're doing, like if you're gonna get really muddy or wade or walk through water, you might consider rubber gear. I would if I anticipated getting really wet. I have some pvc rubber boots with insoles that I use for everything. But I wouldn't hike in them if I had a choice. I know there are some really great combination boots out there that kinda have the best of both worlds. But they can get expensive. Like with most things, what you get depends on what you're doing and your comfort level.

My advice for finding nice gear for a good deal is to shop at the end of the season you want it for, when they're getting rid of everything and moving into the next season. And many places will have sale items from last season in the back if you look for them, even during the height of the season. Or shop online. I've never really been successful finding much Gortex in surplus stores and they're often sold out and limited on sizes. You can look though. They get random stuff in so who knows what you might find.

Goretex is definitely worth the money. I duck hunted many a winter in it and it never failed me. The rubberized type will soak you in your own sweat if you move around at all. I include Columbia Sportswear's omni-tech under this heading, good stuff!

Wool is fantastic as an insulator but it retains moisture and can add a surprising amount of weight doing so.

That's why you do what you have to do to stay dry. Anything fibrous that holds moisture is going to add weight. If weight's a concern with wool, they make different blends of it.

Goretex is handy, but it makes a LOT of crinkly noise when wearing it. Don't recommend it for hunting, not only is it loud enough for deer to hear, it's loud enough you can't hear much over it.

It doesn't stand up to washing machines and dryers at all. You shouldn't need to dry it, the water should just roll off if you hang it up. Putting it through a machine will ruin it fast. Over time, it wears at points where it folds and tends to break there. It's also not very tough against cuts, pokes, or tears. Once it has a few holes poked into it, all the water-proofing properties in the world don't help much.

Goretex is handy, but it makes a LOT of crinkly noise when wearing it. Don't recommend it for hunting, not only is it loud enough for deer to hear, it's loud enough you can't hear much over it.

It doesn't stand up to washing machines and dryers at all. You shouldn't need to dry it, the water should just roll off if you hang it up. Putting it through a machine will ruin it fast. Over time, it wears at points where it folds and tends to break there. It's also not very tough against cuts, pokes, or tears. Once it has a few holes poked into it, all the water-proofing properties in the world don't help much.

Yep, I agree. I've found those points to be true too. Gotta be careful with the stuff and take care of it, and it's very crinkly and swishy sounding when you move. May not be the best material if you're trying to be stealthy.

PCC Community Education Classes offers Emergency Preparedness classes in;

Emergency Cooking 101
Emergency Food Storage 101
Emergency Kits 101
Gardening For The Emergency Prepper
Zombie Apocalypse Survival Workshop (it says this one includes self defense)

These are new classes, although ZASW is not listed as new. Remember if you are 62 or over classes are half price. Sounds interesting. They also offer Urban Farm Permaculture.

Yeah its gettin to be one big joke. Everywhere you look it seems they got ammo specially made for them Even the English pit have the Zombie targets so you can practice lol and my favorite was when Son of Guns built the Zombie guns (military model and a civilian model)

Actually not too surpising considering we are talking about Portland lol

One thing to think about before you get too carried away focusing on surviving a "Zombie Apocalypse" is to research where you are living and see what has happened there in the past (Floods, Mudslides, Droughts, etc.) For example if you live (west, I think) of the Willamette you get those contaminated water warnings all the time so for you it would be wise to prepare for that (plastic 55 gal drum with a water spout and hose) However at the same time you wanna be prepared for anything both Natural and man made (riots, fiscal collapse) but you should focus on the what is most probable. As far as what gear you will be buying.

Even the most simple everyday challege could prove disaster if your not prepared. So research your locations geography and history to help determine what you should prep for. And then prep for that and then prep for everything else lol know that sounds confusing but hopefully makes sense enough.

Risk management: Evalutate your hazards in terms of: probability (how likely is it) Impact (how badly does it affect you if it happens) and Cost of mitigation.

For example, if there's a 10% chance of a car accident every year that would cost $5000 to repair, then the yearly break-even point for Insurance costs to you would be .1*5000=$500. Any cost point below $500/year is a good deal.

You have to play with the parameters a bit in other less concrete scenarios, or where the probability is less well-known, you have to make assumptions about cost. But thinking in these terms will cause you to be a bit more rigorous in your analysis and prepping.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top