JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today I found my old (1958) Model 94 Winchester in one of my out buildings. I thought that I had sold it to someone a number of years ago. It was still in it's old hard case. I took it out and man did it look terrible. The barrel seems OK but I had to use a lot of solvent to finally get the action open. Lots of rusty solvent. The stock had been refinished by me when I was a kid and looks like it too. Somewhere along the line I attempted to re-blue it. I'm debating whether or not to strip it all down and restore it to it's former deer hunting glory or just sell it to someone with some money and ambition. I haven't hunted deer in years and mostly shoot holes in paper targets. What would you do? It's really terrible looking but I think that it will still shoot.

View attachment 1187016 View attachment 1187017 View attachment 1187018
Restore it, use it to practice and learn! It will be well worth it to you, and worth far more to you because of it!

Can't imagine being limited by motivation and not money and space when it comes to gun projects...

Would some negative reinforcement help you take the trash out? I hope there aren't any piss jars in there.
Space is a problem for me, but that ties back to lack of motivation in not keeping my work area organized and not selling stuff. Hopefullly there are no piss jars buried in the mess.

New nerd project. Ordered lots of parts on 5/4 for a DL-44 AR Blaster build.
For the non nerds out there, it's a Star Wars reference to the blaster that Han Solo used.
Gonna build out a spare lower, slick side upper with a dedicated 22lr bolt and barrel from CMMG. Biggest stress is do I mount the scope normally for use, or 45* offset for movie "realism" :s0148:

Chopped the grip of my Ghost Gat 20220518_170551.jpg 20220518_172326.jpg

Got my new (to me) Ruger GSR home and I notice that the scope sat a bit high on the pic rail. Measured the rings and found that they are Leupold medium or high rings. Got my Burris pistol scope with (IIRC) Warne rings off a different scout rifle, and it sat a bit lower. Did some research and I think I can go lower yet.

That's it, that's about all I have done recently with regards to gun chores, that is, beside a lot of gun trading.

Last Edited:
799108F1-BB3D-4552-A8D1-6E8B2D5E17A3.jpeg
Got the C93 set up the way I want.
Got it sighted in so now its gtg. Bolt gap still holding after 3 range sessions, accurate and surprisingly reliable
(as opposed to stories online).

After selling mine a long time ago I regretted it ever since. I was fortunate enough to buy one off a member here a year or so ago.

Still debating on:
Getting a dedicated HK93 style stock or perhaps clubfoot stock
Also debating on:
Getting a metal semi auto grip housing so I can get a palm shelf grip or perhaps just getting the new magpul grip housing.

Hmmm, projects.... Except for plugging away at the kitchen rebuild, my gun projects are getting all the attention and numerous home improvement tasks are languishing.

In the last six months:
  • Built and dialed in an AR10/LR308. Granted it's still a tinker toy, but this was not your typical, "buy an upper here, a lower there..." Each part separately sourced and painstakingly assembled.
  • Collected all the parts from other shooters and my own cast-offs, built a 260 Rem. I'm *really* liking that rifle.
  • Bedded one rifle
  • Changed out and sighted in scopes on three rifles.
  • Had two more barrels machined, now have everything for a 2nd switch-barrel rifle. Still tinkering with the stock design.
  • Finished my silencer design for my Form 1.
  • Running power out to my inductive casting machine which I will use to make silencer parts based on my design.
  • Picked up a 3D printer to make the first mock-ups. Still have to set it up.
  • Added four more tool heads and caliber sets to my 650.
  • Catalogued, organized and re stacked my powder supply for easy access (finally!)
  • Carved up some LED lights I had laying around and installed dimmable LED lighting on the 650. Wow - I can see !
  • Converted 200 7.62x51 brass over to 300 Savage, loaded and shot them all once already. They work great.
  • Annealed and trimed ~400 7.62x51 for my AR10. Developed a M80 load using 147gr FMJ and Power Pro 2000MR. Really happy with it for plinking ammo. Easily have another 400 casings to anneal and trim. (Had a lot of 7.62 brass. :rolleyes: )
  • Pulled down the 12 gauge P-W Size-O-Matic shotgun press and am in the process of tuning it up. Need to find a press for 16 gauge.
On deck:
  • Get the 3D printer going.
  • Get the melter powered up.
  • Finish the first switch barrel rifle.
  • Last time I went to do casting, my RCBS bottom pour pot popped the GFI. Need to debug it and then cast a bunch more bullets.
  • I'm all out of most of my ammo that I shoot. Need to spend a lot of time reloading. At least the brass is all prepped and waiting.
  • Bought an inductive cooktop to convert it to an induction annealer. Already have all the parts. When I'm done, it will cost less than $100. A torch works great, but it's too friggin' slow.
Jeez. I thought I was busy. Those projects sound like a lot more fun than remodeling, though.

There's a satisfaction completing remodeling or home improvement projects that I find different but equally rewarding as a good day of reloading or tinkering.
The one I'm really dragging my feet on is sanding all the floors.
I have done that one.. As you know, having the right tools makes the difference on something like that. I had access to the tools of a friend who does hardwood floors for a living.

Not exactly a feat of gunsmithing, but did de-sporterize a Carcano and rebuilt another from a barreled action.

C985DE82-F099-4668-B1CB-0E7EB10F49D3.jpeg

Last Edited:
Just recently finished some CZ fun.
I haven't had time to take pics, though I was able to do a decent range test.
I have a CZ40B and a CZ RAMI 40.
Just fit them for 9mm using P09 and P07 barrels.
They both shot well!
I had previously fit a CZ75B SA upper to the 40B; it shoots like a 75B.
Both have book-matched Kamani wood grips from the same piece of wood.
Found some 40 S&W mags that feed 9mm!

Joe

New nerd project. Ordered lots of parts on 5/4 for a DL-44 AR Blaster build.
For the non nerds out there, it's a Star Wars reference to the blaster that Han Solo used.
Gonna build out a spare lower, slick side upper with a dedicated 22lr bolt and barrel from CMMG. Biggest stress is do I mount the scope normally for use, or 45* offset for movie "realism" :s0148:
All done.

804F6065-D0F8-45BA-890D-4D3EDE77DCA8.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top