JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for motivation from those who have recently completed or worked on anything firearm related. It could be something simple like cleaning off your workbench top to a full AR build. Bonus points if you can provide before and after pics without sacrificing your opsec.

I have literally thousands of projects that I want to do. They range from cleaning/organizing to full on rifle builds but I'm struggling to complete even one of them. Buying stuff isn't a problem for me, doing something with the stuff I buy is. I know there are a lot of doers out there, I would appreciate the motivation.

I just finished a build I started last fall, using parts I normally wouldn't. It's a pinned/welded 13.9" which I'm calling my fighting rifle 2.0, improved upon my very first build

Now starting the idea of building "twin" rifles, one unusually heavy, the other very light but sharing a lot in the looks department. The idea is to see how I can achieve them without spending 5x the money to save/add 1/3 the weight while getting creative about how exactly that's done.

I've also built all the furniture in my loading room (they're not attractive and I don't care) and am hoping to build an armorer's bench this summer.

For me, it's being able to say "that's mine, I did that" rather than just plopping down the card and voila, new thingy

I just finished a build I started last fall, using parts I normally wouldn't. It's a pinned/welded 13.9" which I'm calling my fighting rifle 2.0, improved upon my very first build

Now starting the idea of building "twin" rifles, one unusually heavy, the other very light but sharing a lot in the looks department. The idea is to see how I can achieve them without spending 5x the money to save/add 1/3 the weight while getting creative about how exactly that's done.

I've also built all the furniture in my loading room (they're not attractive and I don't care) and am hoping to build an armorer's bench this summer.

For me, it's being able to say "that's mine, I did that" rather than just plopping down the card and voila, new thingy
Twin rifles sounds like a fun project. Sounds like you are definitely a doer. Thanks for sharing.

Ruger Vaquero swapped to a Blackhawk hammer. Some transfer bar and pawl fitting required.

Before
FEC07182-08FF-4826-BC11-C79914EC454A.jpeg

Diff in hammers
87A02D90-4C33-4FA3-AA7F-6B4D394E9491.jpeg

After
DC15EA81-678A-406E-88F5-3DD542B7EFF7.jpeg

The 1873 is sitting on my bench waiting for me to get back to its action job.

Load development on a new rifle

Swapped scope mounts and tried a different powder

Man, some of you guys are pretty ambitious. All I did yesterday was disassemble and reassemble my wife's New Bearcat, again and again and again.... Seems the pawl spring and plunger are installed AFTER all the other guts. I learn slow but thorough.

Then I broke the hand on an NAA while dryfiring it at the TV (cylinder removed). Busted the little pin right off. It was a busy day.

Does unloading a whole bunch of ammo with my son last weekend count? I finally had some time to take him out shooting. Definitely not a chore, just fun'

Once you get enough motivation together... when you're done.. can I borrow it? ;)

I've been procrastinating ammo inventory and filling all the empty ammo can's I have waiting to be filled from the case boxes/crates. Then there are the steel cans that need foam cut for dedicated handgun "lockers" for those that don't have a home yet. The "grab-n-go" gun/mag can's. On the bright side, at least the can padlock studs have been installed.

Yesterday I just received the last parts (handguard and gas block) for the current upper project. A BCM 16" 5.56 with Aero M4E1. The "plan" is to get that assembled while I'm waiting on the barrel for the dedicated 22lr upper that got started before the BCM build... that just kind of "happened" out of nowhere. Could be weeks to months yet before the 22lr barrel backorder is filled though.

Okay... if I'm being real honest with myself... the BCM assembly "might" get procrastinated until I'm ready do both the 5.56 and 22lr at the same time... while all the same tools are out.

See line 1 above. 🤣

Last Edited:
I've been working on modifying my LnL progressive reloader, and my Lee APP press so they auto-feed cases and bullets better. Lots of drawing in CAD and 3d printing. Will try and post a video of the latest improvement, I added an optical switch to trigger the case feed mechanism and it solved some signal noise problems.
To the original post, a thing I've found to be helpful in gaining motivation is to pick a small task, and complete it. There's inertia involved in starting projects, and if you can do something small, and finish it, it is as if it releases energy for you to use to tackle something a little bigger. Another thing I like to do is to make a list for weekend stuff I want to do. Just the fact of seeing how many things I can cross off is motivating, for me. If I don't make a list, then even though I did a lot, I will feel like I did nothing, because I forget all the stuff that I actually finished. And then my energy is drained and I feel like a schmuck that didn't do anything.

Gotta listen to the voice that says " you can do it" instead of the one that says you can't.

I've been working on modifying my LnL progressive reloader, and my Lee APP press so they auto-feed cases and bullets better. Lots of drawing in CAD and 3d printing. Will try and post a video of the latest improvement, I added an optical switch to trigger the case feed mechanism and it solved some signal noise problems.
To the original post, a thing I've found to be helpful in gaining motivation is to pick a small task, and complete it. There's inertia involved in starting projects, and if you can do something small, and finish it, it is as if it releases energy for you to use to tackle something a little bigger. Another thing I like to do is to make a list for weekend stuff I want to do. Just the fact of seeing how many things I can cross off is motivating, for me. If I don't make a list, then even though I did a lot, I will feel like I did nothing, because I forget all the stuff that I actually finished. And then my energy is drained and I feel like a schmuck that didn't do anything.

Gotta listen to the voice that says " you can do it" instead of the one that says you can't.
That sounds ambitious, I hope it works out well for you.

Edit: I will follow that advice too, thanks.

I have old eyes and prefer a fiber optic for a front sight. I started with red-colored and realized that I see green better in most lighting conditions. I noticed that archers also use the same fiber optic rods, available in multiple colors for sighting on their bows. I bought a package with multiple colors (green-blue-yellow-orange-2 shades of red) after trying them all, my eye prefers green...

I was having feed/extract problems with a .45 acp 1911. Made certain the gun was clean and oiled. Upgraded the magazines to Wilson Combat 47D. Issue was the extractor angle needed adjusted...

Experimenting with reloading offers many aspects to explore. I have been starting to reload 9mm and .45 ACP with something other than copper covered round nose and hollow point bullets. I have started trying flat point - semi wad cutters - Hi-Tek or other type of coated bullets for a lower cost...

The resurrection of #00137!

The pictures tell the story as well. My thoughts on completing this project were that you don't have to strip an old gun of its originality because it is the easy way. There is another way to tackle rusted metal if you want to give it a try. And NO! The bluing has not been touched up or enhanced. This is the original finish that was under all the rust!

How it started,

A few years ago at a local gun show I attended I found an interesting piece of history which was a Remington Rangemaster model 37 serial number 00137. The vendor carried it in a laid it on his table while I was about 50 feet away. The massive stock is what made me start walking that way but I had no idea what was residing in it. It was the sling it was wearing that really caught my eye and I started to get somewhat excited the closer I got. I asked if I could take a look at it and realized that yes it was a model 37 that was in terrible condition. The vendor looked at me and said it was found in a barn and had been sitting in the open for 50 years. After some negotiating I paid him and placed it in my rig for the travel home. The rifle appeared to be all original with the exception of the stock which after I looked it over had been completed with some thought in mind. All of the metal was covered with a thick scale of rust with the bolt not wanting to open. After 30 years of dealing with estate guns that were in similar condition, I have developed my own way with dealing with this dilemma. I nicknamed it the "BEAST" because of the large piece of lumber it sits in!

My thoughts were to restore it the best I could, not refinish it. It turned out to have the original and very rare "Carney Sling" marked sling that came with the model 37 rifles. The main reason I bought the BEAST! It has been sitting a week in saddle soap and is in very good condition considering the neglect it has seen.

To start the project is used CRC Knock'er Loose which I have been using for some time now. This will loosen and dissolve rust. It is the first step in this project with multiple applications on heavy areas. Bronze wool (coarse grade) and EEZOX were the next steps. Once the Knock'er loose had done its part I hit the areas hard with the bronze wool. It will not hurt the remaining bluing and removes the scale and any other rust particles. This is done with Eezox which helps dislodge rust particulates. This step can be take one time or several depending on what you are dealing with.

The next step I call "Bronzing". This is when the metal is dry and I've polished it with fine bronze wool until it has a bronze tint to it. This will show you any areas that still need some elbow grease or if it is as clean as it is going to be. It also shows you the pitting damage that has occurred. Then I clean the metal area with Eezox and move to the next.

I was able to remove the action from the stock and take the bolt out. I started cleaning the receiver and first few inches of the barrel. Turns out the date code is EF, October 1937.

The bore it turns out is in very fine condition per my bore scope. There is some light surface rust at the very end near the muzzle. The chamber and the rest was rust free which was nice to see.

The metal work is restored to the best of my ability and I believe is a very fine condition. Especially when you look back at the pictures that show the rust scaling at the start of the project. Yes there is pitting that will be seen but that is part of the condition of the metal.

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 6.png 7.png 8.png 9.png 10.png 11.png 12.png 13.png 14.png 15.png 16.png 18.png 19.png 20.png 5.png 17.png

Recently picked up a sd40ve for cheap. Heard a lot of complaints about the heavy pull and long reset so I got an Apex enhanced trigger with reduced spring kit. While I was on the topic, got a steel guide rod/ 20lb sping, extended takedown lever, custom backplate, talon grip, and a couple extra mags. I may have jumped the gun though... been waiting 2 weeks for delay on transfer and not sure when/if I'm gonna get it started.

Last Edited:
The resurrection of #00137!

The pictures tell the story as well. My thoughts on completing this project were that you don't have to strip an old gun of its originality because it is the easy way. There is another way to tackle rusted metal if you want to give it a try. And NO! The bluing has not been touched up or enhanced. This is the original finish that was under all the rust!

How it started,

A few years ago at a local gun show I attended I found an interesting piece of history which was a Remington Rangemaster model 37 serial number 00137. The vendor carried it in a laid it on his table while I was about 50 feet away. The massive stock is what made me start walking that way but I had no idea what was residing in it. It was the sling it was wearing that really caught my eye and I started to get somewhat excited the closer I got. I asked if I could take a look at it and realized that yes it was a model 37 that was in terrible condition. The vendor looked at me and said it was found in a barn and had been sitting in the open for 50 years. After some negotiating I paid him and placed it in my rig for the travel home. The rifle appeared to be all original with the exception of the stock which after I looked it over had been completed with some thought in mind. All of the metal was covered with a thick scale of rust with the bolt not wanting to open. After 30 years of dealing with estate guns that were in similar condition, I have developed my own way with dealing with this dilemma. I nicknamed it the "BEAST" because of the large piece of lumber it sits in!

My thoughts were to restore it the best I could, not refinish it. It turned out to have the original and very rare "Carney Sling" marked sling that came with the model 37 rifles. The main reason I bought the BEAST! It has been sitting a week in saddle soap and is in very good condition considering the neglect it has seen.

To start the project is used CRC Knock'er Loose which I have been using for some time now. This will loosen and dissolve rust. It is the first step in this project with multiple applications on heavy areas. Bronze wool (coarse grade) and EEZOX were the next steps. Once the Knock'er loose had done its part I hit the areas hard with the bronze wool. It will not hurt the remaining bluing and removes the scale and any other rust particles. This is done with Eezox which helps dislodge rust particulates. This step can be take one time or several depending on what you are dealing with.

The next step I call "Bronzing". This is when the metal is dry and I've polished it with fine bronze wool until it has a bronze tint to it. This will show you any areas that still need some elbow grease or if it is as clean as it is going to be. It also shows you the pitting damage that has occurred. Then I clean the metal area with Eezox and move to the next.

I was able to remove the action from the stock and take the bolt out. I started cleaning the receiver and first few inches of the barrel. Turns out the date code is EF, October 1937.

The bore it turns out is in very fine condition per my bore scope. There is some light surface rust at the very end near the muzzle. The chamber and the rest was rust free which was nice to see.

The metal work is restored to the best of my ability and I believe is a very fine condition. Especially when you look back at the pictures that show the rust scaling at the start of the project. Yes there is pitting that will be seen but that is part of the condition of the metal.

View attachment 1185884View attachment 1185885View attachment 1185886View attachment 1185887View attachment 1185889View attachment 1185890View attachment 1185891View attachment 1185892View attachment 1185893View attachment 1185894View attachment 1185895View attachment 1185896View attachment 1185897View attachment 1185898View attachment 1185899View attachment 1185901View attachment 1185902View attachment 1185903 View attachment 1185888 View attachment 1185900
That's amazing!

Touched up the bluing and fixed the main spring. Yup, I now gots me an 1854 model Lefaucheux 7mm pinfire revolver. (Same type as Van Goghs suicide special)

I'm tempted to come up with an IWB holster for the small of my back, I bet I'd be the only concealed carry pinfire in all of Washington.

20220426_154750.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads