JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just wait until you get the edge of your finger in between the case and the bullet when you are seating bullets. If the case is champhered, it makes a nice even cut.

I have used this "Mistake" many times in trying to explain just how little resistance is needed to make a perfect taper crimp. There's a lot of leverage there! I've never caught my finger on the edge of a case, but I've sqoze it a time or two. :eek:

I once stuck the decapping pin through my finger nail. I was sizing a decapping a pile of 40sw one night on the ole Lyman T-Mag single stage while watching television. Ouch, I wasn't sure how I did it, happened quickly. Turned the TV off after that..lol

While resizing a bunch of .357 brass that was given to me I was pulling the handle on one and the ram came to a sudden stop and I felt something 'flex'.

I withdrew the ram and saw the decapping stem bent over!

I looked in the case and there was a 9mm bullet stuck in it!

Check your 2nd hand, hand me down etc. brass before resizing it - even if from a 'trusted' source!

While resizing a bunch of .357 brass that was given to me I was pulling the handle on one and the ram came to a sudden stop and I felt something 'flex'.

I withdrew the ram and saw the decapping stem bent over!

I looked in the case and there was a 9mm bullet stuck in it!

Check your 2nd hand, hand me down etc. brass before resizing it - even if from a 'trusted' source!

I pick up range brass, often times there are a lot of different calibers in the bucket so when I get back to the shop I dump them in a big round plastic container with good lighting and sort. I too have seen cases nesting together and try to get them cleared out although I am not always successful. :s0108:

Caught it before I loaded it into the mag....

20210403_194933.jpg

This wasn't my mistake, but someone had a bad day at the range.

My son and I picked up a bunch of 9mm brass at the range, and I put on my reading glasses and go through it carefully before loading or selling it. This one jumped right out at me:

IMG_0909[1].jpg

This wasn't my mistake, but someone had a bad day at the range.

My son and I picked up a bunch of 9mm brass at the range, and I put on my reading glasses and go through it carefully before loading or selling it. This one jumped right out at me:

View attachment 854305
That looks like a prime candidate for one of your will it shoot threads:s0112:. Boy I have seen a lot of 9mm lately that's just shy of bursting like that. Big bulges from overcharged rounds in an unsupported chamber.

Believe it or not, I'm actually pretty particular about what I'll load, thought it may not seem that way. Dings and dents don't bother me, but anything structural in the base, web, or primer pocket, and it goes directly into the scrap bucket. I tossed a whole bunch of once fired GI 7.62x51 brass a while back, because most of them had signs of incipient case head separation from being fired in an MG with loose headspace.

When we pick up range brass, I go through it pretty carefully. My son has been processing most of it, but I give it a close final inspection. I'm trying to teach him some attention to detail. If a case takes a little too much force going into the sizer die, stop and look at it, see it there's a reason why. If it goes in way too easy, stop and pluck it out, because it's probably a .380 case that slipped by sorting.

Here's another one I found. Anything that looks questionable goes straight into the scrap bucket.

IMG_0920[1].jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top