JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not quite a rifle, but a 330 dollar (with shipping) stock PSA AR pistol.
IMG_20181109_200350472.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured I'd come back and see how you guys are doing with your budget builds. I'm loving mine. Just something about the 22-250 cartridge that makes it funner to shoot than the typical 223. I thought I posted a pic of one of my last range days with my budget rifle (stevens 200), but looked through this thread and didn't see the target pic:

4PrP5A9.jpg

The rifle and load are shooting great. The day I shot this, It was cold and windy. The last group (the one on the right) I knew I'd screw up because I was clinching my jaw and trying not to shiver. :oops:.. I'd say this new budget build is really proving to be a good sub moa shooter... Post some of yours, if you have any. Have a great weekend guys..

Not wanting to muddy up NoRegerts $400.00 rifle thread, I wanted to start a new one where we could all share our experiences with our "budget rifles"...
Here's my 22lr 16" barrel rifle that came in just under $400 not counting scopes shown from other rifles.

8D4142DA-8750-447F-83ED-37FC92271097.jpeg

1F6BA4D7-C34D-44AB-9105-2E552869CEB7.jpeg

Colt (made by walther germany) m4 clone 22lr $300 @ cddn. Deleted m4 front sight, rear handle, handguard, and crappy stock/buffer tube.
Long handguard $30 @ cddn
Aim vertical grip $7 @ opticsplanet
Utg stock folding adapter $15 @ eBay (modified adapter and existing attachment tube on gun to fit correctly)
Utg buffer tube $20
Rogers super stoc in grey (painted black) $24 @ amazon
Total = $396

Edit: forgot 3-spring trigger kit (makes huge difference) $17 @ hkparts
= $413

Last Edited:
Around 8-10 years ago I was just getting into elk hunting and needed a rifle. At the gun show I found a Savage 110 300wm with a big heavy scope on it. I bought it for $700 and then sold the IOR 2.5-10 scope for $750.
I had a capable elk rifle and $50 profit! ;)

Around 8-10 years ago I was just getting into elk hunting and needed a rifle. At the gun show I found a Savage 110 300wm with a big heavy scope on it. I bought it for $700 and then sold the IOR 2.5-10 scope for $750.
I had a capable elk rifle and $50 profit! ;)

Now, that's the way to do it. You could have just put that $50.00 towards your elk tag and ammo and had a free hunt and new rifle. Good score!!

A few years back, I picked up this pre-62, Winchester 94 for just over that ($450).

winnie-jpg.jpg

In a moment of silliness during my .45/70 phase, I sold the one I had for years and regretted it. Fortunately I was able to find another.

I don't know what they go for now, but I always thought the classic lever-guns were a real bargain.

I have a couple.

Updated with two photos:

One of the complete rifle and another of another upper that with the lower still makes a $400 rifle... I think.

38C3CDA1-424F-4D4C-891A-883441057F16.jpeg 4C91F9B5-B058-43B2-A40B-398E79A4C3DF.jpeg

Last Edited:
Do any of you guys know what model this one is? :
dArp9ot.jpg
I know it's a model 10, and probably the older predator model. Not sure though. It has a blind mag (not dbm), 22" heavy barrel, and I can't wait to take it out tomorrow!!! I have some loads ready to rock and roll. I'm hopeful it's going to be a pretty good shooter. The scope is a lightly used Burris MSR 223 4.5-14x42 with the ballistic plex reticle. I feel lucky that it was in the same shop as the rifle. I also walked out of that place with some BR2 primers for my creed and 22-250. She was only asking $3.50/100 for those. Good day at the LGS. Probably going to be a great day at the range. I'll let you guys know how that goes tomorrow... Oh, by the way, the only thing I've done to it thus far (no time today) is change out the action screws with ones I generally use on savage rifles. The allen is larger on the ones I use. I've actually stripped inside of the allen recess on the factory action screws on savage rifles a time or 2, so learned my lesson there. I also opened up the barrel channel in the stock, to provide good freefloat. After tomorrow's range session, I'll probably come home and glass bed the rifle and stiffen up the stock's forend with some epoxy. That way I can rest the stock anywhere on the front rest, bag, or off a bi-pod and POI wont shift on me... The trigger, I'm extremely happy about. It Was already adjusted down to 2 pounds, so I left it there. I'm hoping for some good weather tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

Last Edited:
DSC06725.jpg
I got this rifle in a trade from a member here.
Its a JC Higgins model 50 with a Leupold 3x9 scope.
The JC Higgins model 50 rifles use a Belgium FN Mauser 98 action ( Commercial ) with a High Standard chrome lined barrel.
Originally they had a walnut stock , this one came to me as is.
These were marketed by Sears in a 50's and 60's.
This is a excellent shooting and well balanced rifle.

Often you can find these in shops or at gun shows for $400 or less due to :
The JC Higgins name...
They only came in .270 or .30-06 , so its not in a flashy new caliber...
Its just an "old" hunting rifle...
Mistaken belief that it is a "Sporterized" Mauser...

So I'd suggest that if you want a Mauser action hunting rifle , keep your eyes open for these often over looked gems.
Andy

IMG_0414.JPG

Put this together after Christmas last year. Rifle is a Cabela's Savage 12 FV, scope is a Bushnell Engage 4-12x40, Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. I pillar bedded it myself, turned some steel pillars from some stock on hand, but did need to buy some a Devecon epoxy kit. Stock Accu-Trigger set to minimum, breaks at just over a pound, but it's not terribly consistent. May improve with more use, but if not, I may spring for an aftermarket trigger. Scope isn't bad for the price, but I'll need more power if I ever get the chance to stretch it's legs. Also, the reticle is very fine, I kept losing it against a dark target, had to buy some red ones to be able to see it :rolleyes:.

Total cost is over the $400 mark, but I'm only out of pocket about $300 of that, my little sister bought me the rifle for Christmas, I guess she likes her big brother :cool:. Got so wrapped up with handguns this year that I haven't done more than test fire a variety of factory ammo, but it's an easy 1/2 MOA rifle at 100 yards, and I suspect it will do better with some hand loads. It's heavy enough, almost 13 lbs., that recoil is pretty much non-existent, and since it's a bench gun, I don't care, and fully intend to make it even heavier. Not sure the 26" barrel is really doing me any favors, will have to see what it can do with some slower powders. Problem there is the 9 twist, in theory, it won't stabilize anything much over 75 grains, but we'll see, it did quite well with some 77 gr. IMI Razorcore a friend of mine had. Shooting season is done for me here, so I'm working on test loads, I've got 6 different bullets, 3 different primers and powders, and a pile of new and once fired brass. Between this and my hand gun loads, I'm gonna be at the range for a week once spring arrives :D. Later.

Dave

View attachment 528421
I got this rifle in a trade from a member here.
Its a JC Higgins model 50 with a Leupold 3x9 scope.
The JC Higgins model 50 rifles use a Belgium FN Mauser 98 action ( Commercial ) with a High Standard chrome lined barrel.
Originally they had a walnut stock , this one came to me as is.
These were marketed by Sears in a 50's and 60's.
This is a excellent shooting and well balanced rifle.

Often you can find these in shops or at gun shows for $400 or less due to :
The JC Higgins name...
They only came in .270 or .30-06 , so its not in a flashy new caliber...
Its just an "old" hunting rifle...
Mistaken belief that it is a "Sporterized" Mauser...

So I'd suggest that if you want a Mauser action hunting rifle , keep your eyes open for these often over looked gems.
Andy

Yes sir, those are great rifles. Some are a diamond in the rough, but yours looks great. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us Andy. Always appreciate your input buddy!!! I am weak and feel like everytime I run across an old JC Higgins, Sears 50, Husky 1600 (especially the 1640 lightweight model), FN, interarms markX, I need to save them and take them home :oops:. Basically anything with a mauser 98 action. There were a lot of commercial mauser 98's to choose from back in the day. I have been watching a nice Montgomery Ward (yes, back when sears, montgomery ward and coast to coast put their names on guns) Western field 750, sit at a certain place and they only want $350.00 for it and it's scoped and ready to go. That would make a dang good rifle for a first time hunter or anyone, and at a dang good price. I love the old stuff with mauser derived actions. 1903's, m1917 enfields, pre 64 model 70's, whitworths, etc. etc. Some of these can be had for a steal now days and I'd hunt every dang one of them...

View attachment 528444

Put this together after Christmas last year. Rifle is a Cabela's Savage 12 FV, scope is a Bushnell Engage 4-12x40, Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. I pillar bedded it myself, turned some steel pillars from some stock on hand, but did need to buy some a Devecon epoxy kit. Stock Accu-Trigger set to minimum, breaks at just over a pound, but it's not terribly consistent. May improve with more use, but if not, I may spring for an aftermarket trigger. Scope isn't bad for the price, but I'll need more power if I ever get the chance to stretch it's legs. Also, the reticle is very fine, I kept losing it against a dark target, had to buy some red ones to be able to see it :rolleyes:.

Total cost is over the $400 mark, but I'm only out of pocket about $300 of that, my little sister bought me the rifle for Christmas, I guess she likes her big brother :cool:. Got so wrapped up with handguns this year that I haven't done more than test fire a variety of factory ammo, but it's an easy 1/2 MOA rifle at 100 yards, and I suspect it will do better with some hand loads. It's heavy enough, almost 13 lbs., that recoil is pretty much non-existent, and since it's a bench gun, I don't care, and fully intend to make it even heavier. Not sure the 26" barrel is really doing me any favors, will have to see what it can do with some slower powders. Problem there is the 9 twist, in theory, it won't stabilize anything much over 75 grains, but we'll see, it did quite well with some 77 gr. IMI Razorcore a friend of mine had. Shooting season is done for me here, so I'm working on test loads, I've got 6 different bullets, 3 different primers and powders, and a pile of new and once fired brass. Between this and my hand gun loads, I'm gonna be at the range for a week once spring arrives :D. Later.

Dave

Very nice rifle Dave. Thanks for posting. I'm glad you posted a pic of the rifle in that stock. I am eyeballing the same stock on ebay and can buy it for $100.00. I'll probably hold off on buying it for right now though, after just buying my predator model. Gun fund is running thin :( and it's Christmas time. I'm glad I managed to buy my wife those diamond earrings before I saw the rifle I bought yesterday. My butt would be in the dog house :D. Like I said in your thread on reloading for your 12fv, it's going to be a snap/easy sailing. Yesterday, I had my mind set on buying a good accurate .223rem and was prepared to drive to Portland and buy a Cabela's exclusive, as they are on sale right now for $379.00. However, this predator model 10 popped out at me at the LGS and I couldn't resist. Keep us posted on your load development in your other thread. Thanks

OK just one. ;)

My model 65 Winchester in 25-20 only about 1300 made.
I paid $300.

This one is in 32-20. It's a more common caliber.
WINCHESTER MODEL 65 RIFLE

View attachment 528439

When I sell I'm gona ask at least $400 :s0108:

"at least $400" huh. Don't you think you are ripping people off? Dont you have a conscience? Oh, good grief :oops: . How about you just sell it to me for $305.00. :p On a serious note: A "30 % condition" model 65 is worth "1,238" according to "The red book of Winchester values". You did good on buying that sweet old rifle. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads