JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not wanting to muddy up NoRegerts $400.00 rifle thread, I wanted to start a new one where we could all share our experiences with our "budget" rifles. Please post pictures and let us know what you like about them and how they shoot. Let us know if you hunted yours this year and if your were successful. I'll start this off by showing you guys my new Stevens 200 22-250. Yes, it has been on the gunshop shelf for quite some time, but it was only test fired from the factory. I really got lucky when I found it, because I always said if I find a good stevens 200 22-250, I was going to buy it. My buddy had one and it was an absolute tack driver. Here it is in its original form (before paint and new stock):
s6jUp5t.jpg
This picture shows it with the new Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle scope I bought for $131.00 (New). I believe this was the first range session. This is the first 2 groups I shot with the rifle. Keep in mind, this is a new rifle, new scope and thrown together loads for testing the function of the rifle:
fVakhHg.jpg

Here's how it was shooting with some different loads:
bVhcMk6.jpg
m8S046y.jpg
QMXu6Pq.jpg

It's really looking to be about a moa to sub moa rifle:
XzzBNqk.jpg
85G8Ahg.jpg
Groups shot with new/old weaver 4-16x44^^^

Now, I wanted a higher x scope, so I went to a local place and found an old weaver 4-16x44 (CV16), lucked out and got it for $100.00, so this brings the grand total up to $400.00 + $35.00 for the talley lightweights I found on Ebay. I don't know if I can count the new stock in the figure because it was given to me by one of my friends. I thought it would be good to have a stock with a magazine as well as the grey stock that it came with. I painted the stock a dark brown color with a slight bit of texture and a clear coat for better durability:
6Qj474t.jpg
This stock will get glass bedded, as I did the grey stock. Let's see your $400.00-$500.00 budget builds and see how they shoot. Post pics and tell us what you like about them. Thanks!!!! I'll also post some pics of a rifle I'm working on. I also paid $300.00 for it, and it will be topped with the $131.00 burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. However, I need to re-finish the stock and glass bed it. Pics to come in the next few weeks. Post yours too...

Last Edited:
Unfortunately after i purchased my parts PSA has a $99 complete pistol lower and $199 10.5 inch blem upper. A $300 sbr wanna be. I've seen under 2" groups on YT with this set up. Still waiting for some parts to arrive for mine.

I picked up a really nice "Project" 1903 Sporter last fall and have been s-l-o-w-l-y fixing it up! It's not finished, but it shoots well enough to be scary accurate with hand loads! Has a highly modified A-3 rear sight and an AR trit post custom front! The bolt was welded up and lapped in by hand and a custom muzzle brake milled and welded on that incorporates the new front sight ramp and AR wings and sight post, and also has a new bayonet lug and false muzzle! Still fitting the custom Boyds stock and steel butt, and searching for some additional parts and hardware, but she can shoot with the best of them!;)

Unfortunately after i purchased my parts PSA has a $99 complete pistol lower and $199 10.5 inch blem upper. A $300 sbr wanna be. I've seen under 2" groups on YT with this set up. Still waiting for some parts to arrive for mine.
Cool, keep us posted man. I'm still an AR newbie. Just bought my first one last year. They are a kick in the pants, to shoot and tinker around with.

I picked up a really nice "Project" 1903 Sporter last fall and have been s-l-o-w-l-y fixing it up! It's not finished, but it shoots well enough to be scary accurate with hand loads! Has a highly modified A-3 rear sight and an AR trit post custom front! The bolt was welded up and lapped in by hand and a custom muzzle brake milled and welded on that incorporates the new front sight ramp and AR wings and sight post, and also has a new bayonet lug and false muzzle! Still fitting the custom Boyds stock and steel butt, and searching for some additional parts and hardware, but she can shoot with the best of them!;)
Sounds like a cool project. I love having my projects. Keeps me busy through the winter. Keep us posted!!!

I love and appreciate "scary accurate". I've had some that were like that. Some I still kick myself in the arse for getting rid of. One such rifle was my screen name sake rifle (BSA Model D factory sporter m1917). I was at the range one day and it was just cloverleafing everything I put into it, so i got the bright idea to shoot 100 yards offhand. Put my sling on it for better control and proceded to shoot a 1.057" 5 shot group. I looked through my spotting scope and the group looked small. Walked downrange and looked at the target, looked around to see if anyone was watching, packed everything up and went home. The other rifle I have that is scary accurate is my pre 64 model 70 338wm semi custom.

At this point, of the many, many rifles that I own, most were rebuilt at MountainBear Arsenal :)D), and as such well over half came in under $400.

7A7C217B-7C4E-4FA7-9278-29AE5FFCD46D.jpeg

Just financially, I am into this rifle about $350 with the Leupold VX-I 3-9x40.

But that doesn't count the labor it took me to get it from where it was to where it is now. Probably easily 40-60 hours on the stock.

ADDED: I post this picture a lot, but I just can't get enough of this stock in the sunlight.

Thanks for posting that. I've been wanting to buy one of these. Do you know if they make one with a laminated stock?
Savage only offers wood/laminate on the standard barrel version! Boyds has a few options though, there nice and almost a perfect drop in fit! Also, spend the money up front for the target sights, saves about $150 worth of GunSmithing!

Some cool rifles guys. Thanks for sharing. I got my Devcon 10110 epoxy so I glass bedded my rifle last night. Pretty easy process. This is how she sits in the bedding compound:
r5FOQkS.jpg

Later on today I'll pull it apart and clean all the metal. Should shoot just as good (if not better) than it did in its original grey stock.. This is a newer stock and seems to be a little stiffer through the wrist, so that might make a difference in accuracy.. We shall see, that's half the fun in tinkering with these rifles :cool:

DSC06619 (1).jpg

DSC06622 (1).jpg

DSC06628 (1).jpg

DSC06632 (1).jpg
Original 1840's-50's era St. Louis made plains rifle , made by Seiferth.
Long story short , I traded for this rifle...the rifle that I traded to get this one , was a much abused and neglected original percussion long rifle that I restored....Turned out to be a beautiful and good shooting rifle , but not really one that I wanted to keep.
I paid around $200 for that rifle , which I traded to get the one pictured....

Work done to this rifle ( the one pictured ) was :
Glass bedding the stock...
Working over the lock , cleaning up and polishing the lock works etc...
Epoxying a crack or two...
Light overall cleaning...
Removed the breech plug and clean / check the threads...

I do know that some folks disagree with the above work on a antique rifle.
I wouldn't do the above to a rifle with a proven historic connection or say a original signed longrifle or original Hawken rifle.
The work done to the rifle here in question was done with period methods and materials.
( Excluding the epoxy and glass bedding , which was done to keep the stock from further damage and for safety )
What work was done would have been done to the rifle back during its working life...Again excluding the epoxy and bedding...
What better tribute to the rifle and maker would be , than to have the rifle safely continue its working life...?

Now I have a shootable .50 caliber plains rifle that will continue to see use as a:
Teaching tool ...
Match shooter...
Hunting rifle....

My load for this rifle is
50 grains of 2F a .15 patch and a .490 round ball.
I have shot this load out to 75 yards or so and it seems to shoot just fine on gongs and other targets at the range...I haven't had a safe shot at a deer , yet....:D
Andy

I had a Savage 111 (without Accutrigger) from Bi-Mart back in the day, think it was less than $350 w/ a cheapo 3-9x40 scope. That thing would shoot any basic $16 box of ammo to 1 MOA.

Fast forward many years, I buy a Remington 700, and then I have to buy 1. an aftermarket stock, 2. an aftermarket trigger, and 3. match ammunition just to beat my old Savage.

I had a Savage 111 (without Accutrigger) from Bi-Mart back in the day, think it was less than $350 w/ a cheapo 3-9x40 scope. That thing would shoot any basic $16 box of ammo to 1 MOA.

Fast forward many years, I buy a Remington 700, and then I have to buy 1. an aftermarket stock, 2. an aftermarket trigger, and 3. match ammunition just to beat my old Savage.

Yep, I believe it. Ive seen it, as a matter of fact. One of the reasons I like the savage rifles. My buddy bought a Trophy hunter XP package rifle for $350.00 a few years ago and that is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever seen. He's actually the one that gave me the trophy hunter stock and magazine for this budget build.

View attachment 514241

View attachment 514248

View attachment 514249

View attachment 514250
Original 1840's-50's era St. Louis made plains rifle , made by Seiferth.
Long story short , I traded for this rifle...the rifle that I traded to get this one , was a much abused and neglected original percussion long rifle that I restored....Turned out to be a beautiful and good shooting rifle , but not really one that I wanted to keep.
I paid around $200 for that rifle , which I traded to get the one pictured....

Work done to this rifle ( the one pictured ) was :
Glass bedding the stock...
Working over the lock , cleaning up and polishing the lock works etc...
Epoxying a crack or two...
Light overall cleaning...
Removed the breech plug and clean / check the threads...

I do know that some folks disagree with the above work on a antique rifle.
I wouldn't do the above to a rifle with a proven historic connection or say a original signed longrifle or original Hawken rifle.
The work done to the rifle here in question was done with period methods and materials.
( Excluding the epoxy and glass bedding , which was done to keep the stock from further damage and safety )
What work was done would have been done to the rifle back during its working life...Again excluding the epoxy and bedding...
What better tribute to the rifle and maker would be , than to have the rifle safely continue its working life...?

Now I have a shootable .50 caliber plains rifle that will continue to see use as a:
Teaching tool ...
Match shooter...
Hunting rifle....

My load for this rifle is
50 grains of 2F a .15 patch and a .490 round ball.
I have shot this load out to 75 yards or so and it seems to shoot just fine on gongs and other targets at the range...I haven't had a safe shot at a deer , yet....:D
Andy

That is one cool rifle Andy. Thanks for sharing and giving life back to that old girl...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top