JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SHARE (Sportsmen's Heritage and Recreational Enhancement) not only includes a lot of good tidbits for hunters and such, but also includes the Hearing Protection Act. I.e. reducing the amount of red-tape it takes to purchase a suppressor.

Be sure to contact your local congressperson and tell them their voters ask that they pass it. Yes, even the gun-grabber ones as well. They need to know their gun-control position isn't as popular as they think it it.

Links to share!
Oregon Link
Washington
Idaho

Some info about the acthttps://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/ID#representatives

And for you cspan junkies, a link to the hearing that took place earlier. Please be sure to share and spread the word! It only took me a couple minutes to send off an email to my own rep. She is probably going to vote against it, regardless of anything gun related in the bill anyways. But why not make it as difficult for her to pull the lever as possible?

Got an email from my 'favorite' gun control group this morning; Gabby and friends! I'll spare everyone the 'sky will fall, puppies will die if this becomes law' hand wringing, and just remind like minded people that the vote in the house is coming up soon. Let your reps know (the bill includes a lot of other good stuff, not just suppressor regulation) by calling, email, letter, pony express. Do not let just the antis get a word in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

URGENT: We expect the House of Representatives to vote on legislation to deregulate firearm silencers before the end of the month. Tell Representative Suzanne Bonamici to vote NO: https://americansforresponsiblesolutions.org/stop-silencers

It is beginning to appear this has a good chance of making through the House. From what I read, it could receive consideration as soon as September the 25th. Alas, the Senate is going to be a tougher challenge.

And, having read the bill, agreed; beyond reclassifying silencers as Title I firearms, there are other very good aspects to this legislation. Here's hoping it is signed into law.

Q: Will I be able to legally make suppressors myself for my own use and possession (not for transfer) without any BGC/4473/etc.? Would it need to be serialized if I do not transfer it?

Good question.

The act, of which the text can be read here, would place silencers (aka mufflers, suppressors) in the same category as regular, Title I long guns (i.e., rifles and shotguns) under GCA68. Though the bill does not, as far as I can see, specifically address a home build, it is perfectly legal, at least federally, to build your own Title I rifle or shotgun without any need for licensure, tax/fees paid, permission, or even a serial number. Thought ATF strongly recommends the last one. Making a Title II (NFA) firearm, naturally, requires all the paperwork, tax paid, and a serial number and other markings.

So, all that said, if silencers would be in the same category as plain old long guns, it would appear the answer to your questions would be "Yes" and "No", respectively. But that is just an interpretation based upon the proposed legislation as it now stands. If the legislation is ever signed into law, and that is a fairly big "if", we will know more then.

Do you mean we have to pass it to know what's in it? ;)

Hehe. Goodness knows how it will be modified as it passes through congress. And the rulemaking, regulations, etc., that will come afterward will be a another topic. It has a pretty good chance of making it through the House as is. Who knows what the Senate will do to it. If I was a betting man, I'd wager they will torpedo it on day one. Here's hoping that cynical view is wrong.

:s0090:

Last Edited:
I am crossing my fingers and toes, but I am not going to hold my breath.

+1, my friend. It is nigh time suppressors were made more available to qualified buyers. I can, and have, rolled with the paperwork and tax aspect over the years. The wait times, however, has gone from a mild annoyance to an outright absurdity. Case in point, I have a .223/5.56 can that, a few days ago, crossed the nine month point. I, and my better half, have created and borne new human life in less time than it has taken to approve an application comprising a few sheets of paper. To call that an inefficiency would be an understatement. ;)

Last Edited:
Here's the problem with the Senate, in three groups of four to five words:

1. Gun Hater John McCain.
2. Gun Hater Susan Collins.
3. B*tchy Little Girl Lisa Murkowski.

With a 52-48 Senate, as we've found out the hard way with ANY attempt to reform Ocornhole's unlubricated buttrape of our healthcare system, we need at least ONE of these three rat's-a** traitors on board to pass ANYTHING, and even then it's only by a Pence tiebreaking.

Here's the problem with the Senate, in three groups of four to five words:

1. Gun Hater John McCain.
2. Gun Hater Susan Collins.
3. B*tchy Little Girl Lisa Murkowski.

With a 52-48 Senate, as we've found out the hard way with ANY attempt to reform Ocornhole's unlubricated buttrape of our healthcare system, we need at least ONE of these three rat's-a** traitors on board to pass ANYTHING, and even then it's only by a Pence tiebreaking.

Of those, McCain is TRAITOR #1 - why he keeps getting re-elected is beyond me. He is no conservative, no republican. When nothing is on the line, he acts like one, but when something truly conservative may pass, he casts the blocking vote. The man needs to be retired, now.

Of those, McCain is TRAITOR #1 - why he keeps getting re-elected is beyond me. He is no conservative, no republican. When nothing is on the line, he acts like one, but when something truly conservative may pass, he casts the blocking vote. The man needs to be retired, now.
People feel sorry for him. Pity vote.

I hope this passes. Supplies for building your own will pop up online quick.

If you could buy quality made baffles (sans holes), nice titanium tubes and such... who wouldn't build your own for around $150 to give stuff a try?

Oh wait... you already can buy components online - just don't assemble them!

Yet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads