JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At a local gun shop today when 2 guys come in, one selling his AR to the other. Both seemed shocked about 1639 and the law requiring the buyer to get his class and the 10 day wait.
All I'm thinking is "This is why 1639 passed."
I'm guessing they didn't know/care or whatever
Maybe 2 votes wouldn't change anything but how many more gun owners didn't bother to learn the issues and let this stuff pass.

Like I said...
Shaking my head.:(

I have been saying this for years and often get other gun owners super angry, claiming I am making it all up. That the problem is we are outnumbered and can't win. Yet years after some new law goes in I run into gun owners who could not be bothered with finding out what is going on.

Yup, saw it several times with the laws there and at gun shops when gun buyers or gun owners were entirely ignorant and shocked at the laws which where often plainly advertised on signs in that very gun shop (e.g. "vote no on 1639," etc.). Disheartening, maddening, and frustrating does not accurately describe my sentiment.

Keep in mind, I've lived in 9 states. Washington is the easiest state to vote in. They literally mail you what you need and it's free and easy to complete it and return it. It literally could not be easier to vote unless someone gave you a handy while someone read you the choices and another person completed the ballot for you and another person spoon-fed you your favorite ice cream.

After years of observing total ignorance and apathy, as in a complete total indifference defeatist attitude of not caring, I determined the average IQ of the Washington resident was below the global average and decided there was no way the lazy apathetic folks of Washington would be able to reverse the damage by the ant-gun crowd. If my "peers" were too lazy to use a pen to fill out a free ballot mailed to them and return it for free, the odds of them standing in a trench ready to spill blood with me was exactly ZERO, I opted to leave that lost state. Good bye and good luck.

Yup, saw it several times with the laws there and at gun shops when gun buyers or gun owners were entirely ignorant and shocked at the laws which where often plainly advertised on signs in that very gun shop (e.g. "vote no on 1639," etc.). Disheartening, maddening, and frustrating does not accurately describe my sentiment.

Keep in mind, I've lived in 9 states. Washington is the easiest state to vote in. They literally mail you what you need and it's free and easy to complete it and return it. It literally could not be easier to vote unless someone gave you a handy while someone read you the choices and another person completed the ballot for you and another person spoon-fed you your favorite ice cream.

After years of observing total ignorance and apathy, as in a complete total indifference defeatist attitude of not caring, I determined the average IQ of the Washington resident was below the global average and decided there was no way the lazy apathetic folks of Washington would be able to reverse the damage by the ant-gun crowd. If my "peers" were too lazy to use a pen to fill out a free ballot mailed to them and return it for free, the odds of them standing in a trench ready to spill blood with me was exactly ZERO, I opted to leave that lost state. Good bye and good luck.
Yep, That's how I felt about California. 7 million gun owners and we couldn't get 150,000 signatures on petitions to repeal the worst anti-gun laws ever passed in the PRK. I got to hear it all:
"I don't vote." " I don't want to get on a list."
What lazy BS
I got up here in time for the fight against 1639 and I thought "We can beat this." I saw involvement like nothing I had seen in California.
Alas, I also learned how much Seattle controls politics here.
But when I see what I saw today,... Well it gets me wondering if Seattle's stranglehold isn't as big a problem as the lazy, willfully uninformed gun owners I've seen.

I also learned how much Seattle controls politics here.

But, it doesn't. You're told a lazy excuse. If the people in the rest of the state gave a F, they'd easily defeat King County. They don't. It's very discouraging.

King county - 2 million
Rest of Washington - 5.5 million

This was the vote: Initiative Measure 1639 passed with 59.35% voting Yes and 40.65% No, with 1,839,475 Yes votes and 1,259,681 No votes, out of a total of 3,099,156 votes cast.

How many voting age gun owners in that 7.5 million population failed to vote? Pathetic. An absolute undeniable disgrace.

I'm glad I left.

Seattle is 80% CA transplants. No one actually from there could really afford to live there after silicon valley tanked and all the yuppie scum rats fled the sinking ship for microshaft and kid-tendo. I have lived here my whole life. You know, everything used to be closed on Sunday, here? Probably not because you haven't been here that long. Biggest surge of blue? M-fing dot com bubble bursting, so all the mammas basement weirdos having to move here because their cushy web design jobs dried up. This was a different world when its economy was mostly based on agriculture, military and Boeing manufacturing jobs.

All the transplants badmouthing lifelong WA residents like they are so knowing what WA is really like is absurd and hypocritical. This is the first shall issue state, and open carry has always been legal here, dumbarses...that should tell you something of what it was like regarding firearms before most of them moved here. Don't blame us for their apathy. We don't suffer from SAD, that's a snowflake disorder. Don't like clouds? Kindly GTFO, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

This is a NORTHWEST firearms forum. Growing up in Cali or back east or whatever listening to Nirvana and chugging some Starbucks does not make a person from here. Want to see the problem? They should buy a mirror.

:s0137:

Seattle is 80% CA transplants. No one actually from there could really afford to live there after silicon valley tanked and all the yuppie scum rats fled the sinking ship for microshaft and kid-tendo. I have lived here my whole life. You know, everything used to be closed on Sunday, here? Probably not because you haven't been here that long. Biggest surge of blue? M-fing dot com bubble bursting, so all the mammas basement weirdos having to move here because their cushy web design jobs dried up. This was a different world when its economy was mostly based on agriculture, military and Boeing manufacturing jobs.

Sorry, but Seattle hasn't been based on "agriculture" for any time in relevant history and there isn't a military base in 20, heck maybe 40, miles. Not a lot of corn fields or soybeans being grown in Seattle... seems it was blue long before the dot com burst, which happened around 2000. Seattle went blue for 10+ years prior to that... actually Washington and Seattle voted "BLUE" in 1988 (10 years before the dot com even existed), 1992, and 1998. So for a Seattle native you don't know much about Seattle.
All the transplants badmouthing lifelong WA residents like they are so knowing what WA is really like is absurd and hypocritical.
Also, ironic, considering this transplant knows more about Seattle. And I never lived in Seattle, but in the deep JBLM area suburbs. Weird how a Seattle native thinks it's a farming military town... lol.

Last Edited:
And I never lived in Seattle, but in the deep JBLM area suburbs
.... you wouldn't consider that military? Keyport? PSNS? NSB Bangor? Any of those qualify? No, they're not in Seattle proper. How many large cities have military bases within their actual borders? San Diego... there's 1.

Also pretty unlikely to find many urban areas with sizable agricultural communities within.

Not really arguing too much with your basic assertions... its more about the haughty attitude.

Sorry, but Seattle hasn't been based on "agriculture" for any time in relevant history and there isn't a military base in 20, heck maybe 40, miles.

There is a military base in the city limits: ;)

Also, the north end of the runway at Joint Base Lewis–McChord (JBLM) is 26.52 miles from the south end of the King County International Airport runway (what I used to call Boeing Field I think), probably less from the N/S extent of both. ;)

Also, used to be some NASA/military presence within Boeing facilities for various programs. ;)

Also, it is 10.5 miles from West Seattle to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard near Bremerton. THAT is a military base! ;)

Also, it is 21.9 miles from the north end of Green Lake (well within the Seattle city limits) to Naval Station Everett/Military Sealift Command, so probably less than 20 miles if you measured from the city limits. Paine Field used to be military, and it is 14.76 miles from Green lake to the south end of the runway. ;)

All distances as the crow flies per Google Earth.

Timber is still a factor in the surrounding area or at least it was last time I was there almost 20 years ago. I don't know, but would not be surprised if they had orchards, and other fruit crops in the area at one time, if not still. I do love a good juicy Lake Chelan peach fresh from the roadside stand on a hot August afternoon, but that's a long way from Seattle. :)

ETA: The Ballard Locks are run by the Army Corps of Engineers - does that count as a military base? There is also a Dept. of Veterans Affairs cemetery near there.

Last Edited:
Gettin' back to the OP....:D
I too see many folks that are surprised when they buy a firearm , with all the paperwork and such that goes into it.
Voting is important for sure....

Educating the public on :
Just what the actual effect of the law is...
That buying a firearm ain't like what is shown on TV or what some elected officials claim...
Firearms by themselves ain't dangerous...its the actions taken by some people with them , that are dangerous...
The features of one firearm don't make it more deadly than another firearm...
Gun owners ain't the problem....Criminals are the problem....
All of the above is important to make heard and understood as well.
Andy

At a local gun shop today when 2 guys come in, one selling his AR to the other. Both seemed shocked about 1639 and the law requiring the buyer to get his class and the 10 day wait.

Somewhat beside the point but the seller could simply have separated the rifle into the upper and lower before going into the store. Sell the lower and transfer in the store, which is NOT covered by the law yet and requires no class and no wait, and then buy the upper afterward. Easy as pie and no law against it.

It's an open secret... they're going to change this summer but I don't know how. ATF gave a 1 year grace period because our law is stupid and makes no sense, and ATF doesn't know what to do with it.

I collected signitures for i1094 and it was crazy how many "gun guys" didnt even know the basic details of 1639. Several refused to sign for fear the state would come for them. Lots of non gun owners signed after being informed of the details. We really need to find a way to get the word out on these things and beat the anti gun propaganda. Most people are not seeking out the info and the msm isnt trying to help get the word out in any honest manner.

Educating the public on :
Just what the actual effect of the law is...
That buying a firearm ain't like what is shown on TV or what some elected officials claim...
Firearms by themselves ain't dangerous...its the actions taken by some people with them , that are dangerous...
The features of one firearm don't make it more deadly than another firearm...
Gun owners ain't the problem....Criminals are the problem....
All of the above is important to make heard and understood as well.

Agreed 100%. I will add the following: The lazy public who generally believes in X but fails to vote, will soon lose their rights to X against people that don't believe in X. Then all those who did vote and fight for X but lost, will soon leave. Then "X" believers will find themselves outnumbered, powerless, and lonely "X" believers. As it related here, all those lazy apathetic non-voting gun owners have and will continue to lose actual voting gun owners with common values. In practice, I left, and a common theme is people scrambling to leave anti-gun states in search of freedom.

As to comment on the 'military community' angle, yeah, the Coast Guard is supporting the Seattle Economy! :rolleyes:

I've lived in military towns. Trust me, Seattle isn't one of them and it hasn't been for a very very long time.

Not a Seattle native and never lived there, FYI. And Seattle is not the only locality in the state. Big difference between Seattle and the next largest WA city Spokane. Wonder why that is? Rhetorical question, as I already answered that.

Also, just because you see some people that don't know the word-for-word content of 1639 doesn't automatically mean they didn't vote or voted for it. Lots of folks automatically vote no on anything related to gun control or tax increases without looking into the details. Where's the benefit of the doubt? Nothing stops you from asking them if you are unsure. Maybe help us in the long run. We did a pretty good job this time around with gun control measures. Hope that encourages more to actively participate in the future.

Also FYI, SAF and CCRKBA, 2 big 2A groups nationwide are HQ'd in, yup, King Co., WA.

I just think it's weird to bash other 2A people that live in the PNW on a PNW gun rights forum, especially if someone isn't really "from" here in the 1st place.

Please don't get me wrong. I actually am happy to see pro gun folks come here from wherever and stand with us. It's those who come here and actively try to change it to something like they left when I have an issue.

I was thrilled to live in Pierce County. I had the opportunity to move away in 2014 but it was great, at the time. I made it my home, and planted my business there representing Veterans. With all 5 branches repesented in the geographical area I was optimistic. With the SAF in Bellevue (I interviewed Gottlieb for a business school project back in 2016, great guy), yes, you are right, there was a lot to be optimistic about.

I still scratch my head how 5 million can be "outvoted" by 2 million. Whatever. I rallied, picketed, went door to door, handed out fliers, yard signs, talked to and encouraged others, etc. Totally useless.

I think my snarky attitude is somewhat attributed to the total apathy I discovered there. Gun owners not voting, or voting 3rd party and wasting votes with self-defeatist attitudes. I've never lived somewhere other than there were people just did not care about fundamental rights being taken every election. So many gun owners just totally ignorant on initiatives and laws. In this day of smart phones, it's totally unacceptable.

At some point you either just bend over, fight, or leave. I don't bend over. And nobody was willing to lift a finger to fight. So I packed my bags.

I'd like to think all here on NWFA are some of the strongest 2A supporters in our respective communities and coming here to rail against the apathetic & uneducated, something that we already know is rather pointless. Whether you chose to fight where you stand or move to fight elsewhere, why not encourage others to continue the fight as it would seem to make more sense.

You get more flies with honey, then with vinegar...or so I've been told.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top