JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Firstly, I sincerely apologize if this is in the wrong forum or anything along those lines. Secondly, I apologize for the length.That said... just kinda feeling the need to talk/vent tonight.

The back story here...

On June 24th I was in my front room on the laptop at 3:30am, porch light on bright as well as the front room being lit up. Heard something I thought might have been one of the cats, so I walked into my room to grab my flashlight to look behind the entertainment center. Heard something that just didn't feel right... but not an immediate "thats glass breaking" or any noise like that. Feeling paranoid I grab the HK from the bedside table and stick it in its holster. Quick look behind the tv and theres the other cat. I'm thinking thats odd... maybe its one of the stupid huge raccoons that plagues my yard, so I walk back to the kitchen window and look down into the yard... nothing.

I walk back towards the bedroom and pause for a second to listen, and then happen to look across the front room to the front porch just in time to see someone through the window in the door, walk straight across my porch and through my flowerbed. Call 911 and the whole nine yards... big surprise police don't get there in time to catch him. Had a friend come over the following night cause I was afraid they were going to come back, since the would be burglar showed no signs that he ever saw me.

Apparently he did come back that night. My friend saw someone walking down the road at 3:30, which isn't really strange here. There's a row of laurels along the road in front of my house with a little sidewalk from my house to the street, so friend decides to walk out to the road just to be seen. As soon as walker sees my friend he takes off running. Description matched who I saw the night before. Next day we put up 3 new motion sensor lights, new lock on the side door, all sorts of added security measures.

Now... 3 months later and for some reason this whole thing is REALLY bothering me now and I have no idea why. I haven't really been overly worried over these last couple months and now it hit me like a ton of bricks. Nothing has happened since June and all the sudden I can't get to sleep because I'm worried he's going to come back :s0131: Part of what bothers me so much is the fact that even with the porch light and front room lit up he STILL tried getting in. I don't think he knew I was home.... but even that part worries me since I had 2 cars in the driveway at the time. Just lost and reaching for advice...

We have increased our security in several ways over the last few months. No break-ins, but the realization of crime increasing during tough economic times caused us to increase our security. Of everything we have done, adding a new dog has been the single best move we have made. We found him through Oregon Dog Rescue, which I HIGHLY recommend (I'm sure there are WA state versions also). Nice thing about ODR is you can "foster care" a dog for a week at a time to see if you get along, what his/her personality is like, etc., and there is no obligation to adopt. They even check them out prior to let you know if they are "cat friendly." :)

This is a very traumatic situation...you are home alone with a possible intruder. after a traumatic situation, it usually takes 60-90 days for it to register and start giving hints that it scared you that bad. Glad you had a gun and chose to carry it that night. understanding that when TSHTF and when seconds count, police ar only minutes away. not bashing, just saying... maybe look into a new furry alarm system, they are great companions and their hearing is WAY better than ours. They make great companions as well! we have two, and have been woke up in the middle of the night by growling, barking and the like. It was always nothing...but, ya never know

Yard Sign? :]

imagesyard_20sign.jpg

If someone was on my porch at 3:30am, I would be shaken too.

I live in a rural little town with no local police department. If I call 911, the best I can hope for is the law showing up in half an hour. The sheriff tells us we are on our own for at least that long and it's best to have a firearm in the house.

A few months ago, my little furry alarm system woke me up with a deep growl, something I've never heard him do before. I knew something was up, walked through the dark house to look out front and there was a car parked in front of my house (the opposite side of the street - no house there just forest).

Turns out it was just teenagers smoking pot, but it did prove to me the little dog is worth having around. The pot smoking kids were being quiet and not wanting to be noticed, but the dog knew someone was out there and it was not the norm.

My cat and dog are best buddies, but the cat couldn't care less if someone is out front. Dogs know when something is not right long before we do.

I admit it, whenever I feel uneasy, I wear a gun around the house (concealed so my wife does not roll her eyes). It's comforting to know that if something happened right now! that at least I'm armed. If you are not used to wearing a gun, it might be a good idea to get used to it.

One last thing, the book "The Gift Of Fear" by Gavin De Becker is worth reading. It was a real eye-opener for me. I learned how to listen to my instincts. The book is spot-on, I highly recommend it.

The first thing that came to mind was you need a good watch dog, I see EZLiving beat me to it. I prefer a large dog not a little yapper, yappers are good as an early warning device but are not physically intimidating to criminals.

Are you female or male? your screen name has me wondering, if you are female as painful as it is you must consider that burglary may not have been this creeps motive.

I prefer a large dog not a little yapper, yappers are good as an early warning device but are not physically intimidating to criminals.

Pretty funny how that seems to work. Our big dog pretty much just lays on the couch downstairs. The little one sits on the kennel in front of the window and watches. The little one tells the big one when to get up and bark. They are an effective team, never complain about their rations, and not once have asked for that pay check I promised them if they did their job. :D

jennyfell55, another good resource your might look into regarding the psychology, mind set, and legal ramifications about using a firearm for personal defense is "The Cornered Cat" website.

Cornered Cat

It is primarily about women and firearms for self defense, but many of the examples and theories in the site are just as applicable to men. It's a good read.

sorry about your scary situation.i would think about a firearms training coarse if it were financially,or physically possible if i were you.it would help with your confidence ,maybe help you sleep better knowing you have the ability to react effectively in a future attempt on your home.best of luck to you.

sorry about your scary situation.i would think about a firearms training coarse if it were financially,or physically possible if i were you.it would help with your confidence ,maybe help you sleep better knowing you have the ability to react effectively in a future attempt on your home.best of luck to you.

You may also want to consider some personal defense training as it will REALLY boost your confidence.

Krav Maga Association Of America Inc., Israeli Self Defense « Krav Maga Worldwide

Thank you all for the suggestions and words of wisdom. Once I'm a bit more financially stable a furry companion of the canine variety is definitely a priority.

Rufus, I'll have to check out that book :)

To Trlsmn, the fact that I am a girl and home by myself is part of what worries me so much about this whole thing. With 2 cars in the driveway, the front room lit up, and the porch light on, how could anyone possibly think nobody was home? I doubt a thief would rob my house with me home unless he stood something to gain from me being there.

To Cougfan2, I actually have the Cornered Cat bookmarked already. I agree it's a wonderful resource, especially when most articles are geared toward men. I just wish it was a little more in depth regarding holsters. I'm trying to find a good holster to alternate with my SmartCarry... something easier to put on for a run to the store or anything where I don't need quite so deep of concealment.

To Cougfan2, I actually have the Cornered Cat bookmarked already. I agree it's a wonderful resource, especially when most articles are geared toward men. I just wish it was a little more in depth regarding holsters. I'm trying to find a good holster to alternate with my SmartCarry... something easier to put on for a run to the store or anything where I don't need quite so deep of concealment.

Crossbreed Holsters > Home

To Trlsmn, the fact that I am a girl and home by myself is part of what worries me so much about this whole thing. With 2 cars in the driveway, the front room lit up, and the porch light on, how could anyone possibly think nobody was home? I doubt a thief would rob my house with me home unless he stood something to gain from me being there.

I hate to break it to you, but perhaps the person knew you were there, and thought that you may be the only one there. That would make sense why somebody would come there, knowing specifically that YOU were home. It probably doesn't make you feel better, but it seems like it's a reasonable explanation for an unreasonable event.

cetme, I've actually been running that idea around in my head. Do you know of any good courses available in the Tacoma area?

BlvdKing, Thank you for the link to CrossBreed holsters and the Krav Maga suggestion. I'll definitely check in to both :)

CharlesAFerg, I think that's exactly why this bothers me so much. Either the guy was a complete idiot and thought nobody was home, or he knew I was there and alone. I think I'd prefer an idiot sadly :( The police managed to get there in 9 minutes... seemed like 3 hours at the time :rolleyes:

CharlesAFerg, I think that's exactly why this bothers me so much. Either the guy was a complete idiot and thought nobody was home, or he knew I was there and alone. I think I'd prefer an idiot sadly :( The police managed to get there in 9 minutes... seemed like 3 hours at the time :rolleyes:

I'd say he's an idiot unknown to himself, considering who he could have messed with. You and your .45, rather. I'm glad nothing happened.

I'd have to agree with others, though, on one specific point.
Find a big German Mastiff, or even a Greyhound. Great senses, but their both short haired and don't shed, and are real head-turners.
great-dane-all-weather-nylon-dog-harness-2.jpg

greyhound_wideweb__430x294.jpg

..or, my favorite picture of a Greyhound.
greyhound1.jpg

You are reacting to a stressful situation. To put it another way, something scared you; and scared you bad. Don't underestimate how hard this has affected you.

If you continue to have the symptoms you describe, go find a mental health professional. There is no shame to this, and a pro can help you more than you think. Dogs, guns, and training might be enough fo you to regain your normal state of mind, but it might not.

Don't wait for things to get worse, or for you to start getting used to your new state of mind. This is not healthy. Get help. If you don't need it, no harm done.

You just can't beat a dog IMO. If you have the lifestyle to support it there is nothing better. It doesn't have to be a huge rottweiler or anything like that, just a decent sized dog that barks and makes someone think twice. I noticed at costco they have cheap battery powered motion lights that gives you the ability to attach them anywhere.

Barking dogs and motion lights make things much more discouraging for bad guys, or anyone sneaking around a neighborhood at night.

I think a 20ga HD shotgun might be handy as well.

I don't know if they stil do it but Firearms Academy of Seattle used to have a women only shooting time/training. And I think giving Gila a call would be a good ideal too.

MarkAd, I took a look at the courses offered by the Firearms Academy, I think I'll have to take one once I have some cash :)

Ballistic, rest assured... if these symptoms continue I'll definitely be seeking a professional to talk to. No way could I just live with this state of mind.

CharlesAFerg, that has got to be the best picture I've ever seen of a greyhound! Wouldn't want to be looking at that running at me :s0114:

I've already got motion sensor lights up since the attempt actually... within a few days I had 3 new motion sensor flood lamps put up on the front, side, and back corner of the house. Driveway already had one. The 12ga is also a check, but I had that long before he ever tried to break in. I love my shotgun :D

I'm very relieved to hear that this is a normal thing to go through. I've been racking my brain until now trying to figure out why NOW after 3 months all this hit me. I've never had the head-in-the-sand thought of "oh this is a good neighborhood... nothing will ever happen" but I didn't realize just how hard it was gonna hit when it DID happen to me. At least this story is an attemped break in and not a success. Thank god for that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top