JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Asking for a drivers license or CPL at the time of sale is not "adding a law on top of what we already live under". It's a condition of the sale to protect yourself from selling to an illegal purchaser or maybe buying a gun illegally.

As always, if you don't like the terms you are free to buy somewhere else.

Presonally, I like my freedom and don't want to end up in prison over a purchase or sale.

I wasn't referring to asking for a drivers license, in the future, please don't assume that you know my thoughts or my intentions.

". Secondly if its a legal sale their isnt anything they can do about it and the 50 or 60k they are paying the guy to watch this forum is going down the toilet. Obviously is they are monitoring this board it isnt working and isnt worth the time and effort. No one here has been arrested for illegal activity and with as anti gun as the news media is we would all be hearing about this great ATF program keeping us safe."

Since when has the BATF done anything worth their time and effort?

Last Edited:
Since when has the BATF done anything worth their time and effort?

Well they sure did get to a few innocent victims at Ruby Ridge, Waco and many other dead and abused victims over the years, I guess depending on your mission statement that may be called a "success"...

I think the safest way to weed out the bad guys is to simply ask them to meet you in the parking lot of the local police or sheriff, I've done this on several occasions.
Or follow you to your favorite FFL to accomplish a transfer. Works just as well. Another good idea is to Keep It Local. Unless you find something really rare or you must have then wait it out and something will turn up close to home. In 30 + years of FTF deals all have been in Central Oregon with the exception of one deal with a forum member in Eugene.

I've backed out of a deal before after the potential buyer got sketchy via PM and acted as though we were about to do some illicit drug deal. I've been hit up by people in Washington (at least 1/2 dozen times) asking "how does this work?" and when I tell them we'll do it via an FFL they go away. I've also been contacted by people on the east coast who obviously registered just to try and get me to ship what I was selling for a lowball price. These are reasons I am usually very clear in my ads now, I am selling face to face in Oregon. I don't mind signing a bill of sale, but I don't see a need for one when I'm selling. I haven't met anyone face to face who made me uncomfortable, or was even a "borderline" shady character. I think asking for Oregon ID (for me) weeds out potential buyers from across the river and underage buyers. And if you aren't knowingly selling to someone out of state, I'm fairly certain you're off the hook if you conducted the transaction in your own state of residence and there wasn't some obvious sign they were from another state (out of state plates, etc).

Regarding the ATF thing - I don't think ATF in Oregon has as many agents as some people seem to think they have. And I believe they're interested in bad guys doing massive straw purchases and taking guns to California, etc, not some Oregon guy selling a deer rifle to a guy from Washington. Although for my own purposes I wouldn't do something like that just because it's against the law and there are plenty of guns in both Oregon and Washington to buy in-state.

I think the safest way to weed out the bad guys is to simply ask them to meet you in the parking lot of the local police or sheriff, I've done this on several occasions.

Or follow you to your favorite FFL to accomplish a transfer. Works just as well. Another good idea is to Keep It Local. Unless you find something really rare or you must have then wait it out and something will turn up close to home. In 30 + years of FTF deals all have been in Central Oregon with the exception of one deal with a forum member in Eugene.

Basically, that's what I would do. No criminal is want to going to meet at a PD. If in doubt, I always say let's let a FFL complete the transfer. I've run into a few that got up in arms about the FFL thing. Oh well.

I've had good dealings on the site with FTF transfers, both buying and selling. I would be sketchy about dealing with someone who just signed up, regardless of their post count. I understand there are folks who join and don't post, so if the account is maybe a few months old with 1 or 2 posts I'd be ok. You can also see what people have posted to see if their posts are "genuine" and not just filler posts to get their post count up.

One other thing I haven't heard anyone say; I always, always, always carry when I go to a gun transaction, buying or selling. Call me paranoid, but I feel better that way ;)

Greg

Recently somebody called me about my S&W Model 29 for sale. He offered to pay the full price I was asking and that he would meet my in Oregon - I asked him
where he lived and when he said California- I politely told him sorry - FTF only and no sales to out of state Residents. He seemed surprised - But That's the rules I go by-
then had another guy from back East emailing - politely told him no.

Another newbie here. I solve this problem by always being a buyer and never a seller.:s0155: Still have to watch who you deal with. Use this site to keep an eye on price trends of various weapons.
I have purchased a couple of Smiths through the Outdoors Trader, I don't seem to be smart enough to figure out how to PM response to adds here.

He was hesistant about showing his I.D?

RBpop.jpg

just sayin

I have had several deals that felt hinky, both as a buyer and a seller. Easier to just walk away. I would suggest telling the person you are no longer interested, I had a buyer that made an offer, I agreed, we set up a time.....and then nothing for about a month. Then the reply was, "oh, yeah, I knew I was forgetting something, sorry, not interested anymore." That person is on my don't sell to list, I have about 5 on it.

I have had several deals that felt hinky, both as a buyer and a seller. Easier to just walk away. I would suggest telling the person you are no longer interested, I had a buyer that made an offer, I agreed, we set up a time.....and then nothing for about a month. Then the reply was, "oh, yeah, I knew I was forgetting something, sorry, not interested anymore." That person is on my don't sell to list, I have about 5 on it.

You should give that person a negative trader rating with an explanation so we know to avoid him

Best thing is to always use common sense in gun sales.

I personally don't use the internet much for gun sales and buys. Though, I do find deals from time to times I try to capitalize on. Its pretty easy to see troubled deals coming and its easy to be polite in rejecting the deals even if you meet f2f. I have got all the way to a f2f deal from the internet and found the gun not to be remotely close to the pictures/descriptions provided. Issues can arise from both ends of the sales though we would like to think everything in society should run and be prefect. Look at feed back scores as it provides a good suggestion to that person. If they are new to the forums and willing to meet your guidelines give them a chance as they might be a good person.

This ATF agent thing seems unrealistic. I work in a gun store part time and have had a few encounters with ATF agents. Typically they never really disclose any information in their actions and only ask for relevant details to what they are investigating. It realistically doesnt make sense for them to talk about any stings or investigations with the public. They would be compromising their work and be subject to termination.

Just my thoughts!

Torqk911

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews