JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a S&W Model 29 for sale on gun trader. I received a call from someone who wanted to buy it- I asked OK where do you live - Oh In California - I politely told him
I would not sell it to anyone out of State - He seemed surprised - But I told him no - for all I know it could have been a set up. So better to be safe than sorry !

Remember law enforcement monitors post like these and to set you up selling an Evil Assault rifle would look good and help the anty gun nuts show one more reason to shut down person to person sells.

This post makes me laugh. What agency? Nothing local has the funds, the man power or the need/want to monitor a firearms forum. With the exception of the LEO's that are on here as members I doubt there is one city, county or state agency that watches this or any forum like it. I also very much doubt any federal agency watches this site either. Regardless, if you're operating withing the law you have nothing to worry about. Also, I have never heard of anyone being contacted by LEO's during a sale because of something they read on the internet. Mainly because the sale is LEGAL, so they can pound sand.

I AM new here and fully respect your decision. While I would hope with full ID and Documentation you would sell to a new member I fully appreciate your hesitance.

I find it surprising someone would question why there is need for id in a transaction like this, creepy is putting it mildly.

Personally I don't care about post count, that is just a indication how much time you spend online.

Asking for ID with a person you do not know is a good idea, it can protect the seller from possible criminal or civil liabilities. After all it's illegal to sell to people from out of state or under age.

This is more important in the Portland/Vancouver area because of the state broader. I drive across the bridge all the time not thinking I'm now in another state.

The positive side is how vigilant most of us are when it comes to selling FTF. I would like to think this is a 'common thread' with others but I suspect for every legal transaction there is one or more than is not.

Posting "Oregon DL required, Signed Bill of Sale Required, FTF Only" in your ad will generally weed out the seedy types.

Good voluntary sales stewardship on our part will prevent regulation from being enacted. If a bunch of seedy sales started to go through, and made it to the news, then people would start on "I guess we need to create some regulation to prevent that from happening again".

But if we (the gun community) just simply continues to do it right on our own (as has been discussed in this thread) then there won't be need for regulation.

I'm sure the Anti's will still suggest the need for it, but there won't be any evidence to support their claim.

This is a great forum. Lots of good people here, and I've never had an issue with buying or selling with people on here.

This post makes me laugh. What agency? Nothing local has the funds, the man power or the need/want to monitor a firearms forum. With the exception of the LEO's that are on here as members I doubt there is one city, county or state agency that watches this or any forum like it. I also very much doubt any federal agency watches this site either. Regardless, if you're operating withing the law you have nothing to worry about. Also, I have never heard of anyone being contacted by LEO's during a sale because of something they read on the internet. Mainly because the sale is LEGAL, so they can pound sand.

If you honestly think ATF etc doesn't monitor online forums and look for easy scores you're a fool! I've had more than one contact that has been shady- some you can pretty well tell they're the basic tweeker. others you can pretty well tell it's a .gov. What's fun is when they realize that you follow the law. Listen to your gut- if they have 0 posts and seem shady, just might be. If they have 0 posts but seem legit and maybe just don't post much or came here because while searching they found your gun- as long as sale is legal do it!

Just an FYI regarding LONG GUN (not handgun) sales. You can, according to federal and state law, purchase a long gun from a licensee (not individual) in another contiguous state (the federal law makes no distinction but Oregon law does).

Federal Law:
(B2) From whom may an unlicensedperson acquire a firearmunder the GCA?​
A person may only acquire a firearmwithin the person's own State,except that he or she may purchaseor otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun,in person, at a licensee's premisesin any State, provided the salecomplies with State laws applicable in​

177​
the State of sale and the State wherethe purchaser resides. A person mayborrow or rent a firearm in any Statefor temporary use for lawful sportingpurposes.​
[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27​
CFR 478.29 and 478.30

Oregon Law:
166.490 Purchase of firearms in certain other states. (1) As used in this section, unless the context requires otherwise: (a) "Contiguous state" means California, Idaho, Nevada or Washington.
(b) "Resident" includes an individual or a corporation or other business entity that maintains a place of business in this state.
(2) A resident of this state may purchase or otherwise obtain a rifle or shotgun in a contiguous state and receive in this state or transport into this state such rifle or shotgun, unless the purchase or transfer violates the law of this state, the state in which the purchase or transfer is made or the United States.
(3) This section does not apply to the purchase, receipt or transportation of rifles and shotguns by federally licensed firearms manufacturers, importers, dealers or collectors.
(4) This section expires and stands repealed upon the date that section 922(b) (3) of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922(b) (3)) and regulations pursuant thereto are repealed or rescinded. [1969 c.289 §§1,2,3,4]

Washington Law:
RCW 9.41.124Purchasing by nonresidents.

Residents of a state other than Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such persons reside.
RCW 9.41.122

Out-of-state purchasing.
Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made.

Last Edited:
If you honestly think ATF etc doesn't monitor online forums and look for easy scores you're a fool! I've had more than one contact that has been shady- some you can pretty well tell they're the basic tweeker. others you can pretty well tell it's a .gov. What's fun is when they realize that you follow the law. Listen to your gut- if they have 0 posts and seem shady, just might be. If they have 0 posts but seem legit and maybe just don't post much or came here because while searching they found your gun- as long as sale is legal do it!

Well then call me a fool, but logistically you're theory just doesn't fit. NO one here has ever had any interaction with the ATF on a sale. There is no pattern of fishing by anyone or member and there is no consistency of new members looking to make a shady sale. Netting a few locals who don't know the gun laws over an illegal sale of a hunting rifle IS NOT going to make an ATF agents career and is NOT worth their time and effort. There are 1000's of active for sale ad just on this forum and you're saying there is an agent who is just picking them at random trying to fool someone into a illegal sale? As an LEO agency that is NOT an efficient way to operate and the ends don't even come close to justifying the means.

But, heck what do I know, I am just a fool

Good voluntary sales stewardship on our part will prevent regulation from being enacted. If a bunch of seedy sales started to go through, and made it to the news, then people would start on "I guess we need to create some regulation to prevent that from happening again".
This has always been my concern but in all my years of FTF-ing I have never heard of a bad experience - in the news or otherwise.

This is my first post. I have been using this site for almost a year and also have purchased my first handgun from a member in the classifieds. You may have a point about the post count, but I wouldn't look at that as the only indication. As others have said, a law-abiding citizen will have no problems meeting the basic requirements for a private sale.

I do not post simply because I feel that I have a lot to learn from the other members here, and I spend all of my time reading their discussion or looking at unique items in the classifieds. This is coming from someone who grew up on a farm and was around a lot of long guns from a very young age.

All that aside, I figured I should make a post so that someday it looks better when I want to purchase another gun...

This is my first post. I have been using this site for almost a year and also have purchased my first handgun from a member in the classifieds. You may have a point about the post count, but I wouldn't look at that as the only indication. As others have said, a law-abiding citizen will have no problems meeting the basic requirements for a private sale.

I do not post simply because I feel that I have a lot to learn from the other members here, and I spend all of my time reading their discussion or looking at unique items in the classifieds. This is coming from someone who grew up on a farm and was around a lot of long guns from a very young age.

All that aside, I figured I should make a post so that someday it looks better when I want to purchase another gun...

The basic requirements are an exchange of goods/funds. That is all that is required. Anything else is voluntary.

Well then call me a fool, but logistically you're theory just doesn't fit. NO one here has ever had any interaction with the ATF on a sale. There is no pattern of fishing by anyone or member and there is no consistency of new members looking to make a shady sale. Netting a few locals who don't know the gun laws over an illegal sale of a hunting rifle IS NOT going to make an ATF agents career and is NOT worth their time and effort. There are 1000's of active for sale ad just on this forum and you're saying there is an agent who is just picking them at random trying to fool someone into a illegal sale? As an LEO agency that is NOT an efficient way to operate and the ends don't even come close to justifying the means.

But, heck what do I know, I am just a fool

You are being a fool. I know of at least 2 others here who have met ATF agents when doing a F2F sale. I PERSONALLY met one trying to buy from me, and was told that they have been keeping an eye on this forum for years. They do keep an eye on these forums for people who look like they are doing something they shouldn't. I'm told (after catching the agent trying to trap me) that they have a guy in each field office who troll local internet boards to find straw purchases/illegal sales.

You are being a fool. I know of at least 2 others here who have met ATF agents when doing a F2F sale. I PERSONALLY met one trying to buy from me, and was told that they have been keeping an eye on this forum for years. They do keep an eye on these forums for people who look like they are doing something they shouldn't. I'm told (after catching the agent trying to trap me) that they have a guy in each field office who troll local internet boards to find straw purchases/illegal sales.

So the ATF told you they monitor boards. Just flat out told you that? So, in affect they blew their cover by telling you. :rolleyes: yep i believe they would blow their cover and blab to a board member as it would defeat the purpose of monitoring the board. Secondly if its a legal sale their isnt anything they can do about it and the 50 or 60k they are paying the guy to watch this forum is going down the toilet. Obviously is they are monitoring this board it isnt working and isnt worth the time and effort. No one here has been arrested for illegal activity and with as anti gun as the news media is we would all be hearing about this great ATF program keeping us safe. The ATF needs as much good press as they can get their hands on and would be pandering this to any media outlet who would take it. If it was an ATF agent he lied to you as a prevention measure, look how paranoid it made you. Its always better to make people think you are bigger and more powerful then you really are.

But again just a fool here.:rolleyes: ;)

So the ATF told you they monitor boards. Just flat out told you that? So, in affect they blew their cover by telling you. :rolleyes: yep i believe they would blow their cover and blab to a board member as it would defeat the purpose of monitoring the board. Secondly if its a legal sale their isnt anything they can do about it and the 50 or 60k they are paying the guy to watch this forum is going down the toilet. Obviously is they are monitoring this board it isnt working and isnt worth the time and effort. No one here has been arrested for illegal activity and with as anti gun as the news media is we would all be hearing about this great ATF program keeping us safe. The ATF needs as much good press as they can get their hands on and would be pandering this to any media outlet who would take it. If it was an ATF agent he lied to you as a prevention measure, look how paranoid it made you. Its always better to make people think you are bigger and more powerful then you really are.

But again just a fool here.:rolleyes: ;)

In my case, I caught him and his support 'van' after I denied him a sale. We got to talking after it. He didn't tell me anything anyone with a brain couldn't figure out: they monitor web boards. You are using some really ridiculous logic, they don't advertise every arrest they make. You know how I know? They lead the federal agencies in arrests just about every year. I don't hear more than about 2-3 a year. Some 2 bit Oregonian selling something over state lines isn't going to make the news reel, it'll just go on their arrest record.

Also: stop moving the goal posts. You say that "No one here has been arrested for illegal activity" moments after you claimed no one here has had an ATF agent respond to a post. You clearly don't know of what you speak.

In my case, I caught him and his support 'van' after I denied him a sale. We got to talking after it. He didn't tell me anything anyone with a brain couldn't figure out: they monitor web boards. You are using some really ridiculous logic, they don't advertise every arrest they make. You know how I know? They lead the federal agencies in arrests just about every year. I don't hear more than about 2-3 a year. Some 2 bit Oregonian selling something over state lines isn't going to make the news reel, it'll just go on their arrest record.

Also: stop moving the goal posts. You say that "No one here has been arrested for illegal activity" moments after you claimed no one here has had an ATF agent respond to a post. You clearly don't know of what you speak.

So i shouldn't have made the generalization that I did. But you lied. First post he told you they monitor this board second post it took half a brain to figure out. And to imply I don't know of what I speak is just flat out wrong. You seem to be an expert here, I mean you tracked an ATF agent back to his van. :confused::rolleyes: so I am done. Have fun with you paranoia I will have fun being a fool. I will keep doing legal F2F firearm transfer thumbing my nose at the bad ATF man watching this board.

I was a new member once, not long ago. Zero posts shouldn't be a red flag.

Nor should an out-of-state phone number; I have friends who have been in Oregon for years, but have kept their non-Oregon numbers from their college days.

But seeing a valid state ID should be a must. I personally don't require a concealed permit, or a bill-of-sale, but that's your option.

So i shouldn't have made the generalization that I did. But you lied. First post he told you they monitor this board second post it took half a brain to figure out. And to imply I don't know of what I speak is just flat out wrong. You seem to be an expert here, I mean you tracked an ATF agent back to his van. :confused::rolleyes: so I am done. Have fun with you paranoia I will have fun being a fool. I will keep doing legal F2F firearm transfer thumbing my nose at the bad ATF man watching this board.

If you don't think it is happening then do a search on the web for NYC mayor Bloomberg and his investigation into straw purchases in the South West.
I actually do not mind that the BATF does this sort of work. It probably keeps firearms away from a lot of criminals or at least makes it harder and more expensive for them to buy them.
..........Now if they only would quit shipping "assault" rifles to the drug cartels in Mexico.

I have had 4 in a row flakes offering to buy items and then backing out. One was so bad I gave him a bad trader rating and should have given them out to the other 3.. this is sudden, in the past I have had good dealings here.. 3 out of 4 of the welchers are new with low post counts

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top