JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, I have not had anyne follow me in an aggressive manner, at least not that I am aware of.

On the same note and with the same qualifications I can say that you are 100% not more stable than the officer.

There was an independent witness who stated he did not point his gun at him. Read closer.

"Pfft! what if the world ends on 2012?" You're the one who started the what if scenario, Mr. Moderator.

And actually I have not made any judgments on this scenario one way or the other. Just asked pointed questions, so how could anyone not share mine.

If someone cut me off and almost hit me...and I had a chance to say a few words. You bet I would! AND if they continued to follow me I would be suspicious also. Don't know if I would pull out my gun...but I would certainly have my hand on it!

I have had people follow me, try to run me off the road (numerous times), get out when I stop, FTF confrontations and what not, and all had back down (even I was out #'ed). But all instances I never had a firearm with me...partly why I did get one (some I would have pulled it out if I had one).

Most people are f'd up in many ways and you don't know what their going to do...

You guys are way over-reacting to this. Remember that these officers go through a stringent psych evaluation prior to the hire, and it is this evaluation that excludes the majority of applicants .....

Psych evals probably help weed out the obvious misfits, but they are by no means perfect.

I don't know about you, but if I was driving with my son and was being followed by someone in a road rage the furthest thing from my mind would be pulling over to confront a possibly dangerous person.

If the stories being told are even reasonably accurate then the officer escalated an incident that could have been avoided, then initiated an armed confrontation with his kid in the car. All in all that seems like very poor judgement to me.

He could have just as easily called 911 and led the other driver to meet some on-duty police officers, or better yet he could have decided not to yell and gesture at the other driver and the incident would not have escalated to begin with.

Excluding right or wrong, if the roles were reversed and the civi pulled the gun, he would be up on criminal charges. He would be in jail for a long time if he didn't get shot and killed by a huge entourage of responding police.

This is another prime example of why the public has a declining lack of respect or need for the police. The feeling that laws and rules don't apply to them because they are sanctioned by the State with immunity from performed coercion. The lack of enforcing and policing their own. Even the so called "good ones" will be forced to back the unjust in their actions through peer pressure or outright infractions (desk job/unpaid leave). The police unions have a big hand in that function.

Class warfare at it's finest. Public vs. Private. Enjoy your hi-tech feudalism, plebe.

It seems to me that Nyce is at least likely guilty of brandishing. Presuming accuracy of the initial report (always highly questionable) his only reason for drawing was his own stated inability to see the other guy's hands. He wasn't on duty or seemingly acting in any manner in accordance with an off duty officer responding to a siuation as an officer of the law. That doesn't seem to met any standard I've ever heard as a reason to draw (e.i. you better be needing to use it if they don't immediatly stop their attack). If I were to draw even w/o pointing in a similar scenario I'm pretty sure I'd end up arrested.
Choosing to confront and escalate the scenario especially with his son in the car also indicates questionable judgement considering the several other options available (drive around in circles till the guy loses interest, drive to the local cop shop, call 911).
Lots of evidence seems to be building against a very few certain possible bad actors amongst local cops, Humphries being the other obvious one.

Please note I have made no blanket anti-police statements, putting on flame resistant suit anyways. We always say better to have it and not need it rather than the other way around right.

Psych evals probably help weed out the obvious misfits, but they are by no means perfect.

I don't know about you, but if I was driving with my son and was being followed by someone in a road rage the furthest thing from my mind would be pulling over to confront a possibly dangerous person.

If the stories being told are even reasonably accurate then the officer escalated an incident that could have been avoided, then initiated an armed confrontation with his kid in the car. All in all that seems like very poor judgement to me.

He could have just as easily called 911 and led the other driver to meet some on-duty police officers, or better yet he could have decided not to yell and gesture at the other driver and the incident would not have escalated to begin with.

Psych evals is quakery

Of course a lot of you just like the "good" citizens of Portland are quick to bury the cops and believe that people are naturally good people. I'm not saying the cop was right but after dealing with stupid people ever since I started working I am leaning towards the cops, and of course the cop is going to be the more aggresive person. Police are taught to take control of the situation, and if this guy is following him I wouldn't just go home either.
He probably should have just called the cops and went to a public place.

Of course a lot of you just like the "good" citizens of Portland are quick to bury the cops and believe that people are naturally good people. I'm not saying the cop was right but after dealing with stupid people ever since I started working I am leaning towards the cops, and of course the cop is going to be the more aggresive person. Police are taught to take control of the situation, and if this guy is following him I wouldn't just go home either.

I hear what you are saying but this guy's track record is starting to take the benefit of the doubt away. Couple that with PBP having met this individual and not enjoying the interaction. I am thinking he may be a great guy that shouldn't be an officer.

There are nice guys out there that just cannot act/communicate in an acceptable fashion while commanding the control/establishing presence, it take to be an officer, it appears Mr. Nice may be one of them.

Seriously folks, how long is the citizenry going to allow this BS to happen? This cop exemplifies the attitude of the law enforcement today. As cops like this are promoted we give them more latitude to trample on our rights.

Just imaging Nice in 10 years, why heck, he will probably be seizing folks just like in Medford!

I hear what you are saying but this guy's track record is starting to take the benefit of the doubt away. Couple that with PBP having met this individual and not enjoying the interaction. I am thinking he may be a great guy that shouldn't be an officer.

There are nice guys out there that just cannot act/communicate in an acceptable fashion while commanding the control/establishing presence, it take to be an officer, it appears Mr. Nice may be one of them.
He was a total jerk. He did not want to listen to anyone or follow the rules of proper engagement. He just wanted to throw his weight around from the second he arrived. Top it all off that he incorrectly assumed who was the perp in the situation and who was the victim and then still did not want to listen.

1)Of course a lot of you just like the "good" citizens of Portland are quick to bury the cops and believe that people are naturally good people. 2)I'm not saying the cop was right but after dealing with stupid people ever since I started working I am leaning towards the cops, 3)and of course the cop is going to be the more aggresive person. Police are taught to take control of the situation, and if this guy is following him I wouldn't just go home either.

1) I don't. I believe most people suck actually. I just know how cops act.
2)You just contradicted yourself. Your agreeing with someone even though you don't know they are right and they broke the law.
3)They shouldn't be taught that, they should be taught to follow the law. That's the problem, they are taught to be aggressive and control, rather than follow the law and cite people who don't follow the law.

Excluding right or wrong, if the roles were reversed and the civi pulled the gun, he would be up on criminal charges. He would be in jail for a long time if he didn't get shot and killed by a huge entourage of responding police.

This is another prime example of why the public has a declining lack of respect or need for the police. The feeling that laws and rules don't apply to them because they are sanctioned by the State with immunity from performed coercion. The lack of enforcing and policing their own. Even the so called "good ones" will be forced to back the unjust in their actions through peer pressure or outright infractions (desk job/unpaid leave). The police unions have a big hand in that function.

I've gotta go 100% behind this post. The sergeant should have gone to a Dunkin Donuts and called for a uniform car before engaging the 'following' motorist. There was exactly a zero percent chance of a positive contact stopping to chat on the side of the road.

I also agree that had any of us civilians done this in the Portland Metro area, we would have left the scene in handcuffs; we would not be protected by the inter-departmental politics that exist in the west hills.

Sgt. Nice needs a job as the PPB mail room guy, or any place besides training that he doesn't deal with people.

There was an independent witness who stated he did not point his gun at him. Read closer.
Link??

At least on Ch 8's news, and unless I misheard, the lady-witness was quoted as saying she didn't know where the gun was pointed -- which is *not* the same as corroborating the cop's version. Was there another witness that Ch 8 didn't talk to?

Likewise, I think the other guy's story breaks down when he says he followed the guy so he could '(politely) ask him what he thought he'd done wrong.'

MrB

Youhr Paaperz pleeze!! This guy must have used a cheat sheet for his psych eval. Stress evals are more needed than just looking at ink blots and talking about your relationship with your mother.
As far as the extended digit goes, it does'nt matter which one so much as the percieved intent of the act. Blowing kisses will tick off a clueless driver just as fast as the Polish salute! Officer must be the adult in these situations and the Dept. must reign in the rougue street cowboys. This isn't 1960 any longer. Greydog.:s0155:

Link??

At least on Ch 8's news, and unless I misheard, the lady-witness was quoted as saying she didn't know where the gun was pointed -- which is *not* the same as corroborating the cop's version. Was there another witness that Ch 8 didn't talk to?

Likewise, I think the other guy's story breaks down when he says he followed the guy so he could '(politely) ask him what he thought he'd done wrong.'

MrB

Fox 12's interview had her stating that she never saw him point the gun at the guy and that it was at his side the whole time...as far as she could tell.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top