Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SFO gun club fights for survival

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by waltermitty, Aug 12, 2012.

1. waltermitty

waltermitty seattle Active Member

pics and video in article

A recent Wednesday at 3:34 p.m.: Walter Biondi bought his first shotgun when he was 17 and shortly afterward headed to the Pacific Rod and Gun Club to start what has become a lifelong passion for skeet and trap shooting.

“It didn’t take me long to become acquainted with the gun,” Biondi said.
    Now at 93, he is oldest member of San Francisco’s only trap and skeet shotgun shooting range. The range occupies 14 acres on the southwest edge of Lake Merced. The club is open Wednesdays and weekends, and there is rarely a day Biondi isn’t eager to be there.

Biondi pulls up in his blue Toyota Camry, opens the trunk, zips up his tan shooting vest, slips 25 shells into his front pocket, and takes out his favorite double-barreled Browning shotgun. He shuffles toward the first of seven stations facing the water. He loads his gun and yells, “Pull.”

A Day-Glo orange disk flies toward him at 40 mph from a green tower. Biondi follows the target for a second or two before pulling the trigger. It is obliterated over the banks of the lake. He opens the back of his gun. The barrel smokes from the rear as he catches the used shell in his hand. A smile stretches across his face.

He reloads. With views of the golf course across the way, the club has existed on prime lakefront property for 78 years, operating under an antiquated month-to-month lease facilitated by the city. In July, the city Public Utilities Commission said the deal was over and the club needed to get out unless a modern lease agreement could be reached.

“I think another 78 years for a gun club on that property is probably not realistic,” said Steve Ritchie, a PUC assistant general manager. Ritchie cited an environmental cleanup of the site with a price tag of more than $10 million from decades of contaminants left by old targets and ammunition as a potential deal breaker, even though the club no longer uses those hazardous materials.

Pacific Rod and Gun Club spokesman Fred Tautenhahn said the club doesn’t dispute the environmental issue, but added that it has hired its own environmental firm to appraise the cleanup costs and that its findings were about half of the PUC’s estimates. He said he hopes the club can soon reach an agreement with the city.
    For members like Biondi, an agreement couldn’t come soon enough.

“Walt has been there his whole life,” Tautenhahn said. “Obviously when he hears ‘eviction notice,’ those are scary words. It makes him a little uneasy.”

Biondi said: “I look forward to the camaraderie of the club. It gives you a reason to want to do things. I’d hate to lose it. It means an awful lot to me.”

2. Sincere

Sincere Between Cascadia and Jefferson Active Member

*Insert inane comment about San Francisco culture/politics/population here*

(Bonus points if you use the word libtard or make a veiled reference to the prevalence of homosexuality)

For real though, that stinks :(

The old-timer in the video really tugs on your heart-strings.

I can't wait to see the crap they'll replace it with too, probably a bunch of condos :(

3. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

800 sqft noisy cardboard boxes with .7 parking space per condo, going for $800k with a $500 HOA and $100 monthly non-guaranteed parking spot rent.

I really don't miss the bay area when it comes to price of housing. :)

4. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Sacramento shut down the trap & skeet range by ending the lease with no option to renew - there is now a car dealership on the spot...

5. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

I would expect nothing less from a communist country. The problem we have here in Oregon stems from all the californians, that hate california, moving to Oregon, because it's not california, and then promptly change all the laws to be like california. So issues like this one will soon be coming to a city near you!

6. Sincere

Sincere Between Cascadia and Jefferson Active Member

The citizens of San Francisco have no direct part in this. It is city planning and government that is forcing a "modern lease" or get out situation. It's probably mostly non-elected officials on top of that so you can't blame the citizens for voting for the wrong people either (as if voting for these shills from either party makes a difference anyway).

But I'm glad you got a chance to make a completely inaccurate jab at California as Communist (I'm sure you meant big "C") and Californians as the scapegoats to all our problems.

(I am a native Oregonian, I have issues with what Californians and other wealthy outsiders have done to our housing and jobs market - "they took our jobs!" - but they are not the real problem)

7. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

As with all local and most state politicians they are elected by the people. The city counsel members are elected by the city residents and they have meetings that are open to the public for public input in decisions they make. So to say the citizens had nothing to do with it and just blame the horrible evil politicians that somehow got inot office, but no one knows how, is a gross misrepresentation of our system. Every single citizen that voted or didn't vote is responsible for the politicians that are in office and accountable for the decisions they make. My characterization of californians is my personal opinoin as a Native Oregonian that has been shaped over the decades of watching them transplant here and screw it up. I vote, but there are more transplants now days than Natives of our state and that is what sways the vote.

Grunwald and (deleted member) like this.
  8. sargenv

sargenv Bay Area, CA New Member

Funny, of all the Californians that I know who have moved to Oregon, they all tell me how much nicer it is in Oregon and that they can live quite a bit nicer and they don't want to change a thing.. but then those who have moved there that I know were more like some of you natives.. they like being free and not having to deal with those irritating California laws..

Swedish K and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

I call bull on that. They have elected the government that espouses a certain point of view and this is a result of those elections.

10. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

I have observed the exact same problem on the east coast. State of Vermont has been ruined by New York city hippie flakes moving there and New Hampshire is being ruined by Massachusetts morons moving to NH to escape the garbage policies and hight taxes of MA, only to vote the same idiot leftist into office there.
    I swear that states should have a state citizen law that those who move to a new state cannot vote in local/state elections for 5 years (like those moving into the US have to wait 5 years before becoming citizens).

11. Mohawk13

Mohawk13 Home on The Range Active Member

I agree VT and NH have been destroyed by the Granola Crowd. They cry about hunting bears and trapping beavers, but are the first to cry "wolf" when Yogi is on the front porch, or their neighborhood is under water due to Bucky and the boys building a 30 foot dam across the river...
    Same thing with these Flaming Libtards in SF. They want to dominate the landscape and destroy icons of the area. As far as I am concerned they can lick it and stick it.....Fight the Good fight!!!!