1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

SF Bay area escapee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GuyBMeredith, Jun 12, 2011.

1. GuyBMeredith

GuyBMeredith Salem, Oregon Active Member

I am coming back to shooting after a 8 years absence, hoping that I will have some free time to get back into shooting if I can afford retirement.

We moved from San Ramon, CA to Salem about three weeks ago and I am in the process of learning the ropes of being a firearms enthusiast in Oregon versus California.

I came to this forum to learn about the local vendors and firearms activities.

I am primarily a revolver shooter and enjoy marksmanship and noncompetitive involvement in competitive (say what?) action shooting like ICORE and IPSC. More recently I've purchased M1 Garands from CMP and am becoming interested in some rifle shooting as well.
  2. doobee8

doobee8 Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome to the land of the free! If you can imagine it, you can own it in Oregon!
  3. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Welcome. Oregon's laws are much simpler and less restrictive than California's. We don't have many of the restrictions and legal hoops such as registration regarding firearms ownership.
  4. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Local IPSC/USPSA info here: home

Local ICORE at ARPC: http://www.arpc.info/ Not a huge following, but it's growing.

High Power matches for your M1 pretty much everywhere.
  5. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

This link should help get up to speed with local law: Oregon Firearms Federation

Although there are a few great gun clubs/ranges in the area, check tcgc.org. It is ~1hr drive from Salem but it has sooo many amenities that it should not be ignored.
  7. GuyBMeredith

GuyBMeredith Salem, Oregon Active Member

Thanks all. I'm looking forward to experiencing the Oregon freedoms.

doobee8, I guess that would be in contrast to California's "If you can imagine it we can ban it"?

BillM, I'll be looking forward to the ICORE activities. My revolver shooting "career" was a brief 4 years. It began with real concerns in 1998 that a meth freak with a San Quentin history might show up on our doorstep and ended with purchase of a house that needed all my non commute time and most of my income in 2002. During that time I discovered IPSC and ICORE and started the Richmond Hotwheel ICORE chapter. I can't shoot worth a darn, but had lots of fun.

I also did volunteer work and shot at IRCs in Morro Bay. Unfortunately Jerry Miculek beat me all three times. On the upside, S&W's lavish support allowed me to acquire an M66 and a PC 627 V-comp.

civilian75, thank you for the link and info.