JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would head east if I was you, much less traffic and likely less people on the water!
If Santiam Pass (usually the coldest part of the drive towards Sisters) is gonna be in the 90s..... that looks like Sisters/Bend would be even hotter? Sure the waters are gonna feel very good out there... and it is a dry heat... :p but I have a toddler's safety to think about.

According to Weather dot com; Santiam Pass is supposed to hit 96 on Sunday. Looks like it'll be basically "too hot to hike" for the most part ... so the coast or the millions of little streams/rivers it is. Leaning towards the coast even if its gonna be a traffic logjam.. unless people have other recommendations? I live right on hwy 20, so thats likely going to be my main route. Highway 34 is an option (Alsea Mountain area) but I do not like the many switchbacks on there.
I've had good luck with the smaller cities. Most folks go to the big ones closet to the main freeways. In your case, I imagine most go to Newport. I'd look to explore Otter Rock or Yachats. Though Yachats is pretty popular too. Florence is my all time favorite in that area, the Suislaw has a lot of spots to stop on and hang out along 126.

If Santiam Pass (usually the coldest part of the drive towards Sisters) is gonna be in the 90s..... that looks like Sisters/Bend would be even hotter? Sure the waters are gonna feel very good out there... and it is a dry heat... :p but I have a toddler's safety to think about.
I was recommending staying on this side of the valley, south Santiam and the like, even Corvallis might not be too bad along the river or the creeks! Bonus is it's not that far a drive for ya!

Let the drownings commence due to poor parenting. Along with the children and animals who will be locked in cars. The society has become so incapable of using common sense that even the media has to begin pre planning and prepping the individuals with IQ deficiencies. Natural selection.
Yep. Sandy River bridge in Troutdale.
I guess we'll have to improvise...

704B33B7-C8D4-4FA5-A100-5FE2F78A98A2.jpeg

Last Edited:
According to Weather dot com; Santiam Pass is supposed to hit 96 on Sunday. Looks like it'll be basically "too hot to hike" for the most part ... so the coast or the millions of little streams/rivers it is. Leaning towards the coast even if its gonna be a traffic logjam.. unless people have other recommendations? I live right on hwy 20, so thats likely going to be my main route. Highway 34 is an option (Alsea Mountain area) but I do not like the many switchbacks on there.
Confucius says it's never too hot to sit in the shade and drink ice cold beer with friends.

I would head east if I was you, much less traffic and likely less people on the water!
Agreed all the way! Zig when they zag or spend all day looking at the Biden/Kneepads bumper sticker of the car in front of you.

If you haven't already checked on your AC unit this year it might be a good time to make sure it's clear of debris and everything looks proper.

It's been about seven years since I replaced the startup capacitor in my AC unit so just ordered a spare. If your AC is making a buzzing sound and the fan won't spin, use a stick and give it a push. If that temporarily makes the fan spin the startup cap is the issue and by far the most likely issue for an AC system.

Mrs. 3M thought she heard noise from our unit so decided to get proactive since they are cheap and easy to replace - $13 now or a couple hunski for the repair guy when he gets there. If your AC is older than ten years that's about the lifetime for an electrolytic cap and it could fail at any time.
Thanks for the tip! Just ordered one.

What I am not looking forward too is all the damn people who go out in the heat, drinking, then get hurt and head for health care. Drunk, angry, hot and then mad they can't get waited on fast. Also 4th. Normally rains here. Now and then it does not. When it does not man the fire people are pulling their hair out trying to keep up with the damn fires.

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered one.
You're welcome! Just remember to throw the breakers and if you have them pull the safety disconnects. Before replacing short the capacitor leads with a screwdriver (insulated handle) to discharge it - even one too weak to start the fan can give a nasty jolt unless discharged.

I remember the summer days I was stationed at Yaquina Bay when there was fog 5 miles out to sea, and 10-20 miles inland. Further out, and further inland, it was sunny and warm. The cool sea air hitting the warm land, would cause the fog.
I remember the summer days stationed in 29 palms. 110+ Daily. No fog. Just the poop smell from Lake Bandini. I miss those days. Haha.

Alsea city park just south of the river on HWY 34. Simply awesome.
Hwy 34 to Five Rivers, head into BLM land from there. Cool, plenty of creeks to soak the feet in. Puff balls should be coming up. The salaal berries won't be ready yet, but you should be able to find Salmonberry and perhaps Huckleberry. Beware of the faux huckleberry (serrated leaves).
Farther down, (Little Switzerland?), cross the river. Follow the FS road, takes you to Yachats river road. The Yachats river is another great place to soak and wade into. Once you hit the 101, you're toast, stuck behind land yachts and beached whales.

@Ura-Ki , beautiful GSD. Part Newfie?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads