JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Early motorcycle ride Saturday.
Then i am heading to my little piece of river for some water and sun.
We dont swim at our usual spot until July because the water is so damn cold. I am sure it will be just fine with triple digits this weekend.

Make sure you check on elderly or vulnerable neighbors. Buy a bag of ice now while its available and throw it in the freezer. If you can find the neck scarves with the beads that soak up water, they help. Blankets over windows to keep the sun and solar gain out keep the house cool. Fans to keep the air in the house moving.

When we are over in OR we live at around 1800 ft AMSL, but it still gets too hot for me.

Being a Northerner I prefer air temps around 20 - 28C in Summer. I'd just fry like a patty on a griddle in those temp mentioned above. I was designed for cold from the get-go. Pulse 40 BPM, respiration 3 - 4 PM and lung capacity like a Sherpa. I'm happy down to about -15C, at which point I usually put something a bit heavier on.

Rural and elevation and forest helps. I always notice during my trips to/from the city, that temps drop 5* or more once outside city limits, and 5-10* more when I get to 900' elevation at home.
So true, kid and I have been making trips to the Mcgregor Basin a lot lately. Just by stepping into the forest and being a bit higher up the temp drops. Get to the stream/creek/river, the 80-100 degree day feels like nothing.

If things hold true to form then the hot weather will make the alge grow and pollute the drinking water again in Salem. Yall might want to buy bottle water now before it surprises the government again.

If you haven't already checked on your AC unit this year it might be a good time to make sure it's clear of debris and everything looks proper.

It's been about seven years since I replaced the startup capacitor in my AC unit so just ordered a spare. If your AC is making a buzzing sound and the fan won't spin, use a stick and give it a push. If that temporarily makes the fan spin the startup cap is the issue and by far the most likely issue for an AC system.

Mrs. 3M thought she heard noise from our unit so decided to get proactive since they are cheap and easy to replace - $13 now or a couple hunski for the repair guy when he gets there. If your AC is older than ten years that's about the lifetime for an electrolytic cap and it could fail at any time.

Let the drownings commence due to poor parenting. Along with the children and animals who will be locked in cars. The society has become so incapable of using common sense that even the media has to begin pre planning and prepping the individuals with IQ deficiencies. Natural selection.

Let the drownings commence due to poor parenting. Along with the children and animals who will be locked in cars. The society has become so incapable of using common sense that even the media has to begin pre planning and prepping the individuals with IQ deficiencies. Natural selection.
For the most part, I want to say most of the rivers and streams are still too cold for very young children??? I mean... I remember the last heat wave that hit Oregon a month ago or so.. and the warning was that rivers ocean, and lakes were still far below the safe swimming temperatures. As in being in the low 40s-50s F water temperatures.

Last few years, the Detroit Res. Has had a nasty algi bloom which makes the drinking water dangerous! Couple of years back, it was lethal to some folks, so the city had to bring out water trucks so folks could get drinking water!
Ahh, no. He's referring a post about rc car screws being a perfect replacement for a part that is off topic from this thread.

Thankfully, that pile of RC car screws I've had for decades paid off today!

View attachment 980116 View attachment 980117
Wrong thread? ;)
I am lost. Can you fill me in?

Wrong thread? ;)

Edited. Posted in the wrong thread.

For the most part, I want to say most of the rivers and streams are still too cold for very young children??? I mean... I remember the last heat wave that hit Oregon a month ago or so.. and the warning was that rivers ocean, and lakes were still far below the safe swimming temperatures. As in being in the low 40s-50s F water temperatures.
True. Yet parents still take their children there to swim.

I bet they call me into work Sunday because trucks just gotta run Monday :rolleyes: as they sit in their nice air conditioned homes

Thankfully, you can drive around the woods and find a creek almost anywhere. At least in my neck of the woods. I'll be turning the temp on the hot tub down to 96 degrees too in the case I need to jump in after being out at the Trash No Land clean up on Saturday.

5350ED34-A75D-4A23-9EA2-3532ED81FBB2.jpeg

According to Weather dot com; Santiam Pass is supposed to hit 96 on Sunday. Looks like it'll be basically "too hot to hike" for the most part ... so the coast or the millions of little streams/rivers it is. Leaning towards the coast even if its gonna be a traffic logjam.. unless people have other recommendations? I live right on hwy 20, so thats likely going to be my main route. Highway 34 is an option (Alsea Mountain area) but I do not like the many switchbacks on there.

According to Weather dot com; Santiam Pass is supposed to hit 96 on Sunday. Looks like it'll be basically "too hot to hike" for the most part ... so the coast or the millions of little streams/rivers it is. Leaning towards the coast even if its gonna be a traffic logjam.. unless people have other recommendations? I live right on hwy 20, so thats likely going to be my main route. Highway 34 is an option (Alsea Mountain area) but I do not like the many switchbacks on there.
I would head east if I was you, much less traffic and likely less people on the water!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top