JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I personally would not try to re-create the problem. I would make sure that the load is done properly. Mag. primer seated properly, powder of correct charge, bullet seated to the proper length. I would seat the bullet per what the manual says for a few rounds to make sure that they all are firing properly.

DAB

Post #16 wins the prize

Slow down, follow the instructions and load data in your reloading books to the letter and you will do fine

In my experience, I have experienced hangfires only when I was rushing through reloading and dropped powder into cases that weren't fully dry after their cleaning. Now I put all my cases through a meat dehydrater for 2 hours before loading. I haven't had a problem since. Just my experience though.

I agree I also dry my brass after I wash the sizing lube off. And before I prime it. I put the brass neck up on a 1/8"thick aluminum sheet and place it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour turn the oven off and an hour later pull it out. It will be dry and cool ready to be primed.

So I made some rounds and did not experience the problem again. I used the wrong terms when I said I would try to "re-create" the problem. In hindsight I believe the problem was the outside temperature. Anyway, I made one round with a large rifle primer low charge, and it worked no problem. I made a low charge magnum primer, and it worked no problem. The only difference in loadings was the outside temperature. When I shot the first ones it was about 20 degrees outside, next time out it was 60-70. I did settle on a load though, with 150 grain Nosler Ballistic tip I use either 64 or 64.5 (just don't have the load sheet with me) grains of RL22, magnum primer and I have been getting solid results. Thanks for all the input. I should also add that all these loadings were my first ones, so I was using new unwashed brass. There shouldn't have been a moisture problem. I guess it's also possible there was moisture frozen in the rifle that was causing problems as well.

In my experience, I have experienced hangfires only when I was rushing through reloading and dropped powder into cases that weren't fully dry after their cleaning. Now I put all my cases through a meat dehydrater for 2 hours before loading. I haven't had a problem since. Just my experience though.

Hey! Glad to know I'm not the only one who takes this short cut. I don't have near enough brass to leave it out to air dry in it's own time.

I guess it's also possible there was moisture frozen in the rifle that was causing problems as well.

Maybe not moisture but lube. Disassemble the bolt, clean it, and make sure any lube you use on reassembling it is a good low temp lube. I use no grease inside my bolts, only on the sliding surfaces of he cocking pieces. Non on the firing pin, just a drop or two of CLP.

When you mentioned the temperature that could be cold enough to thicken some lubes and slow your "lock time" to a perceptible delay.

Just a possibility.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top