JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife bought me a serrated cutco hunting knife and I don't like it. It seems like the serrations load with fat etc and it doesn't cut worth a darn. I'm wondering if it would be realistic to have someone that knows what they are doing remove the serrations?

This can be done...with a sharpening machine , we had one at a knife shop that I worked at.
You gotta go slow and wet the blade from time to time.

As for the cost of this....it may be best to just buy a new knife.
Andy

Hello,

I would ask the company if they would give you another knife due to the issues that you have with your knife.

I would NOT pay to have it changed.

I would want a NIB knife from the company with you returning what you have now.

If the company does NOT want to do this for you, I would get a new hunting knife that you picked out yourself in ANOTHER brand. I would keep the Cutco knife for some other kitchen or household use OR sell the knife.

I have heard and read about the name of the company, Cutco, but I have never owned the brand myself. I thought that company wanted it's customers to be 100% satisfied with their knives too. I do not know much about the Cutco company other than what I heard briefly and read in the past.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

If you do end up removing the serrations, make sure to keep the heat down at all costs. A good hand file with the knife in a vice would work like a charm. Just go slow and file in parallel with the edge so it doesn't warp or chip.

I'd grind it with a belt being careful of temp and angle.

These two knives are my go to when I head out to the grocery store, I mean, field and have done all I have needed:

I have a set of cutco for the kitchen. Well over 10 years of use and never had the serrated ones sharpened since they have to be sent in. I sharpen the straight blades myself. Id try sending it in and see if it comes back better. Even after all these years I warn everyone before they use one at my house their still incredibly sharp and have had more than one person cut themselves using or washing one. Maybe yours was a dud

I'm with the just buy another knife bunch. Better to have the knife you want than a wrecked version of a knife you don't want.

We have some Cutco knives. I personally think they're a bit overpriced but they do hold an edge and are well made. Never had to deal with the company but I've heard their customer service is very good, so I'd contact them and explain the situation and see what they can do.

They told me they would sharpen it or replace it if it was too worn to sharpen. They said there the blade would be too small if they removed the serrations. I suppose I could go try to cut some rocks and then send it in, but I won't.

Can anyone tell me what the number B79 on a Cutco blade mdl.1769.means? (Serrated hunting knife)

I have had a few Cutco's but never came across this.

Thanks
Dallas Ken

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews