JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've got a new (used) pistol. In the past I've always used black leather, pancake, high-ride, forward cant, thumb-break holsters, for concealment.
But, the Blackhawk! Serpa, concealment, carbon fiber looks neat. No squeeeeeky leather would be nice too.
How do these conceal? Do they draw the gun good and tight up against the body like a nice pancake does?
Does this materiel damage the finish on a blued gun? Scratches, rubs, etc...?
Any experience would be welcome.

Thanks

I love mine. I have two. I wouldn't try concealing with light clothing on but it works great with coats. (But I've only used medium sized pistols iin them) There are multiple angles you can have it at.

My m9 one cracked down thee center though. Sticky velcro solved the problem.

It won't wreck the finish on your gun. Its no pancake for concealment but they are comfy.

They are great holsters.
Unlike Titsonaritz claims they do not cause AD's. The shooters carelessness does.
He is right they are not the most concelable, but they do a fair job. I wear mine most of the time. Not the best concellable but not bad.
For a good concel carry holster I have been seeing really good reports about the SuperTuck.
I concider the Serpa to have a well deserved place on my hip.

I'm not against leather. Just thought I should consider my options, see if these new fangled plastic holsters are any good. If they don't conform to the body as well as leather or draw the gun as close then, meh.
I like leather, and working a thumb-brake is instinctive for me.

Check out the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. I love mine and it's comfortable for all day carry. I conceal a Glock 23 under a tshirt with no problems. Horsehide is a worthwhile upgrade.

Contact member bnr32gtr.....he makes some NICE hybrid IWB holsters. I'm very happy with mine.
I'm also very happy with my holster from bnr32gtr. I use it for my Xd .45 compact & XD .40sc without any problems. You should also look into getting a good stiff belt if you don't have one.

I've used for several years and actually prefer it to my leather holsters. It's weather resistant and draw is easy. Retention is good although one experienced with a SERPA could remove your pistol if in the right position. As for pebbles jambing the release mechanism, perhaps that operator should consider something more suitable to their needs such as a military flap holster to keep all the crap out of it.

I use mine on a daily basis, concealing with a light vest. Never has been a "concealment" issue although when dressing more formally, with a blazer or suit jacket I do prefer a pancake type.

The draw from a Serpa is easy from day one and doesn't require any "slickum" added like Galco sells to make their holsters easier on the draw.

As for comfort, any "plastic" holster will be more noticeable at first than a leather one. After a week of wearing it was just like any leather holster.

a design that makes you press your trigger finger in the direction of the trigger while you draw is nothing short of effing betarded. utter buffoonery.

but you don't need, or even want retention with a concealment holster

a design that makes you press your trigger finger in the direction of the trigger while you draw is nothing short of effing betarded. utter buffoonery.

but you don't need, or even want retention with a concealment holster

And your support for this statement comes from where. And what holster does not put your finger in the direction of the trigger?

And your support for this statement comes from where. And what holster does not put your finger in the direction of the trigger?

support for my statement? i described the stupidity of the design- if you need "support," go to your local Blackhawk! dealer and see for yourself.

as to the second question- what holster, aside from the serpa, DOES force you press your trigger finger in the direction of the trigger as you draw?

either you have no idea what a serpa is, or you're having reading comp issues today.

I'll offer yet another vote of confidence in the Serpa holster. A very good design and functioning holster , IMO.
Mine is used for a 9mm Beretta. The release is a natural position. It is not lined up with the trigger. It is above it just below the slide. That is how I have trained and a natural position for my index finger on a draw.
That is where the index finger should be until ready to destroy the intended target.
After reading all this I went in and tried to "inadvertently" release and see where the finger drops. Right along side the frame just above the trigger. I just don't see an AD due to the release. I'd say operator error is more likely.
I am VERY happy with mine.

I like them but do not consider them concealment holsters. They are quick, secure, and index your trigger finger properly along the frame. They do stick out a ways though, as do all OWB holsters. I've whacked a few doorframes whilst using mine.

I like them but do not consider them concealment holsters. They are quick, secure, and index your trigger finger properly along the frame. They do stick out a ways though, as do all OWB holsters. I've whacked a few doorframes whilst using mine.

pancake OWBs are often even lower profile than IWB holsters. leather OWB can conceal beautifully, if it works with your attire. i did a 1911 in a pancake for 6 or 7 years, all year long- always concealed very well.

injection molded plastic holsters are like having a bookshelf on your hip.

IMO they suck.

Two major issues:

First, the locking mechanism can easily be locked up with a small pebble or other debris making it impossible to draw your weapon. If they are in a pristine environment it is not so much of a concern, but if hitting the dirt is part of the program you just might be in for a surprise when you try to draw your sidearm.

Second, there have been a few NDs resulting in leg injuries attributed to the Serpa. While drawing the weapon rapidly under stress, after disengaging the locking mechanism with the trigger finger the finger has found its way into the trigger guard causing a discharge.

They are not very concealable. If you want to move away from leather you would be far better off with a quality Kydex holster, like a Blade-tech, Raven or Dale Fricke to name a few.

I agree. Can testify that Dale Frick Kydex AIWB holsters work great.

support for my statement? i described the stupidity of the design- if you need "support," go to your local Blackhawk! dealer and see for yourself.

as to the second question- what holster, aside from the serpa, DOES force you press your trigger finger in the direction of the trigger as you draw?

either you have no idea what a serpa is, or you're having reading comp issues today.

I see from you response that you lack empirical data to support your statements so you have gone to the question and insult tactic to divert attention from your unsupported opinion(s). I gather that is because you are to lazy to or unable to answer the questions posed. Or you lack the comprehension to understand the questions.

Was looking for EXPERIENCE, not Theory. The question of whether they hold the gun as close to the body has been answered. I'll stick with a leather pancake.

I don't care for IWB, it works great, but i've found if I need that kind of concealment I prefer a J-Frame.

The release mechanism on the Serpa makes since, that is where my finger is when I draw anyway.

I can only think that if anyone shot themselves using one. Then it was very likely a training issue, and would have happened anyway.

I have to wonder if those who proclaim 'pebbles and stress', are speaking from experience? Or, vast internet postulatory expertise and hypothesis?

I do prefer retention on a concealement rig. It's not neccesary, and sometimes not practical, depending on application. But from years of using a thumb-break on my duty rigs, my thumb is going through the motion of tripping the snap. Whether it's there or not.

I appreciate your constructive reviews. As for the internet commando types, who have never had one and never will, even if you gave it to them. On what basis are these conclusions drawn?
Sometimes the comments on the forum make me feel like I just spent time in The Gun Room! "It's crap, I wouldn't..." and "anything I don't like is crap...".
I have lost any interest in this thread.

Ok, rant over.

Again, thanks for the EXPERIENCE.

I would Also like to see proof to your statment,

please post up a case where someone has accidentally shot themselves while drawing form one of these holsters. I understand how you think the design is flawed, however blackhawk states that there has been zero confirmed cases that there release mechanism has caused any one to shoot themselves YET.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top