JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see from you response that you lack empirical data to support your statements so you have gone to the question and insult tactic to divert attention from your unsupported opinion(s). I gather that is because you are to lazy to or unable to answer the questions posed. Or you lack the comprehension to understand the questions.

that wasn't an insult- and don't start throwing them around.

DO you actually have any experience with this holster? do you not understand that you have to use your trigger finger to depress a button which is in-line with the trigger to draw the weapon from the holster? ALL YOU NEED IS HUMAN SENSORY PERCEPTION, NOT DATA.

that's like asking for "empirical data" that supports a claw hammer can pull nails.

Coming from someone who owns a Serpa, Raven Concealment, Safariland, and a leather Milt Sparks VMII, the Serpa is my least favorite. The only reason I wear the Serpa is while backpacking because it fits on the hip band of my pack and with the retention, I don't have to worry about it falling out when I'm bounding along. I prefer this over the Safariland thigh rig when backpacking because the weight on a thigh rig is too low on the leg and fatigues quicker on a hiking trip. The leather IWB holster is the best for a 1911 carrying concealed (thin, doesn't scratch the finish, feels better on the skin). The Raven Concealment holster can be worn IWB or OWB depending on your straps.

If you're wanting a OWB holster, I'd go Raven Concealment, but be prepared to wait a few months for it. It's high quality, but their backlogged with orders for a reason. Mine is custom made for a M&P9c with a TLR-3 light.

In regards to the button on the Serpa, meh, I could take it or leave it. I prefer the thumb break on the Safariland for retention. I've only "heard" about negligent discharges with Serpas on the internet, but once someone says something, it spreads like wildfire. I can't recall how many times I've heard how infallible Glocks and AKs are, yet seen them time and time again fail to go into battery. Take my experience for what it's worth.

Agree with the earlier comments about concealability being more practical with this holster with larger overwear such as coats. I use my Serpa with my Five Seven and find the comfort, angle, and availability fantastic. In terms of concealability I can toss on a larger jacket and it does a good job keeping it close enough to the body that people aren't asking me why I have a misformed hip.

I also remeber this when I saw the video. but he clearly states it was not the fault of the holster. When he changed hoslters and guns he forgot to "reset" his thinking to the equipment he was using.
Like the man said he had a ND.

I've had two, great idea and construction. There's nothing special about the carbon fiber look. You pay an extra $10-15 for just the "look," so save your money and just get the regular black. It is definitely not ideal for concealed carry.

So I've got a new (used) pistol. In the past I've always used black leather, pancake, high-ride, forward cant, thumb-break holsters, for concealment.
But, the Blackhawk! Serpa, concealment, carbon fiber looks neat. No squeeeeeky leather would be nice too.
How do these conceal? Do they draw the gun good and tight up against the body like a nice pancake does?
Does this materiel damage the finish on a blued gun? Scratches, rubs, etc...?
Any experience would be welcome.

Thanks

I have have 6 of them and have not experienced a single failure over the last 3 years I have been using them.
I'm not a cop and don't carry with them every day but for some fairly heavy 3gun and pistol match use they have been great. I don't need to worry about a dropped pistol which is huge at matches like Ironman.
When I got the first one, to test the retention I picked up a 90 pound kid by the pistol grip and shook him around without any damage to the holster.
They are fast in and out of the holster. The retention is positive with a good release and IF you activate the retention with the flat of your finger, as is the proper way, your trigger finger is along the frame of the pistol where it should be. I do alot more shooting than most of the people on this board and spend 16 to 32 hours a month as an instructor for the clubs action range certification watching 20-30 students a month drawing and have not seen any problems with the holster.
The only issue I have is they don't make one for small or large frame cz75's.

I just don’t get why the things are not seen for what they are, a POS.
YouTube - ‪Blackhawk Serpa CQC FAILURE‬‏

simple holster. intersting design. easy to use. holds pistol. draws very easy. I have no problem with "MY" finger pulling the tigger until I want it to! most serpa issues are people that think they are soooooo good with pistols, guess again you shot your leg. oh lets blame it on the holster. typical. I blame the idiot that thought a retention holster would make them better. any one that has drawn from any holster knows where your trigger finger is, right on the trigger. so train with any and every holster you have. putting your finger on the trigger is not an accident it is an act done by you and your own mind. so every time someone comes on here and says it puts there finger in the trigger they just dont have the skills or mental capacity. I love the videos of them in slow motion shooting themselves in the leg, classic. glad they are ok. just my opinion

I can provide my opinion on the "pebble in the lock" I wore mine in a drop leg platform , crawling up and down hills, over and under logs in enough mud that i stopped and cleaned it out of my guns hammer and the rear of the slide"never wear a drop leg hunting" and not once di i even have a heasatation when i went to draw, and trust me i probably pulled my gun 15-20 times to make sure there was no crud in it after a crawl, or slide down a hill.

simple holster. intersting design. easy to use. holds pistol. draws very easy. I have no problem with "MY" finger pulling the tigger until I want it to! most serpa issues are people that think they are soooooo good with pistols, guess again you shot your leg. oh lets blame it on the holster. typical. I blame the idiot that thought a retention holster would make them better. any one that has drawn from any holster knows where your trigger finger is, right on the trigger. so train with any and every holster you have. putting your finger on the trigger is not an accident it is an act done by you and your own mind. so every time someone comes on here and says it puts there finger in the trigger they just dont have the skills or mental capacity. I love the videos of them in slow motion shooting themselves in the leg, classic. glad they are ok. just my opinion

you just insulted me, several others, and some extremely talented, respected, and professional people with this moronic "opinion."

---

the above post is why i've found it so difficult to warm up to this board. the speed at which people are willing to personalize otherwise rational debates is astounding. you do not have to insult people to engage in a rational debate.

you just insulted me, several others, and some extremely talented, respected, and professional people with this moronic "opinion."

---

the above post is why i've found it so difficult to warm up to this board. the speed at which people are willing to personalize otherwise rational debates is astounding. you do not have to insult people to engage in a rational debate.

did not know my "opinion" was so insulting to you, but at least we know where you stand with your opinion. thanks "blog buster". way to make sure your feelings are ok.

I can see clearly that the serpa hoslter is not a grunts best friend. My opinion is now while the serpa is a good general use holster it has no place in combat and i am going to seriously look at alternatives to find one that will let med crawl around andf still maintain my pistol combat ability.
Now i ahve to take my finger release Galco and see if it fails the "serpa" test.
The test I have seen has made me change my mind for sure.

As I posted over on the other thread that specifically talked about Tex's ND, from what he stated in his video it appears he switched holsters and didn't get mentally switched over to a different operating system of that particular piece of equipment.

That said, having to use the trigger finger to push into the holster/gun to get it to release, and then having to stop that momentum to keep the finger from going into the trigger guard, is really not a good procedure.

I do not own a Serpa, but having taught at our state's academy as well as teaching many person over the last many years, and attending many training classes, I've come in contact with many of them.

I've been in training classes where they have failed because of debris inside the mechanism, which rendered them inoperable, as well as seeing a few come apart.

I was just at Vickers 1911 Operators class up in Okanogan a few weeks ago, and we had a good discussion about the Serpa, and why he and Ken Hackathorn now ban them from their classes.
He has seen too many come apart, be rendered inoperable, or have caused ND's to which he feels they need to be pulled from the market and/or redesigned...thus won't allow them. Some LE Dept.'s are now rethinking their approach about them as well.

As for other options that don't have the need for the trigger finger to activate...or in this case I guess, deactivate the retention system, anything from Safariland comes as a first choice for many a serious operator and the like.

I still stand by my statement on such internet arguing...why is it that when a certain item is challenged, some react as if you slapped their mother?

If you want to carry the Serpa, then please do...and I wish you many a safe range and carry time with them.

Be well

Not meaning to degrade your testing arena, but it may or may not be a good test. Just depends on what it's being put thru.

If the gun just rides in the holster, probably not. If you just take the gun out of the holster when you stop for the night, again...maybe not.

If you cross country/bushwhack, then it might be.

A true test of any product is to use it for its intended purpose, for the holster...un-holster and re-holster under varied conditions for a prolonged amount of time.

Just like exercising...one trip to the sports club does not make a healthy person.

I have owned Serpa's for 7 years now, have one for every one of my pistols except my j frame and love them.

2 combat deployments carrying with one every day in mud, rain, and snow on a couple of occasions. Chasing guys down alleyways, getting in and out of both bradleys and hmmwv's, and kicking in doors,

many hours at the range, both overseas and at home.

Never had an ND, nor a failure with either.

I have a hard time imagining how an ND can happen with Serpa that wouldn't have happened with another holster. I mean there has to be some kind of flaw in particular shooter's training or something. I've had 2 leg drop serpas (level 2 and level 3) and 4 belt versions for Sig P226, S&W M&P / Glock 20 and 1911. Drawn / Holstered thousands of times over the years, sometimes after rolling in the dirt. Not saying the button jam couldn't have happened, it just never happened to me.

One problem I had was with a cheaper "sporter" version of the level 2 for 1911 - button jams on the draw if I try to pull the pistol prior to fully depressing the button.
Another observation is that Serpa requires certain cant, or it becomes very difficult (unnatural) to obtain the full grip and depress the button. Forward ones don't work for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top