JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Takes some nerves of steel to calmly continue to make your purchase and peacefully leave with a gun drawn on you...

In this story (paraphrased) a "with a holstered gun" (Williams) draws his gun (but does not point it...) and demands another man with a holstered gun to see his carry permit. The other guy says no, makes his purchase and simply leaves. (I'm assuming they are both open carrying and also without knowing Georgia's law I'm assuming a Georgia CHL allows you to open carry similar to Oregon.... ).

I'm putting this in the TnT section as sort of a what would you do scenario if you were the 'other' guy...

Would the 'other' guy have been justified in shooting Williams...? But then the article clearly said that Williams did not actually point the gun at the other guy however he clearly is harassing the guy with a drawn gun. I'm curious what others think about this.

Admittingly this (IMO) is an odd event not likely to happen often if at all enough to worry about, yet with the rise in CHL's and open carrying its interesting to consider interactions with other gunners but I just cant imagine why anyone would think its their right to demand proof of permit when they are carrying themselves.

full article: http://dunwoody.patch.com/groups/po...uns-demand-to-see-permit-leads-to-altercation

I did not read the article but 'Williams' is the obvious idiot here - and a paranoid, dangerous one. This is an example of what can happen with the proliferation of so many people suddenly getting CHLs and carrying. People start getting paranoid over seeing someone else carrying and for whatever reason feel they 'have' to act out of some bizarre innate need to take control. I would truly like to see this situation addressed because it seems to be one that might not be too popular with the hardcore pro-carry, pro CHL crowd. I am simply stating it could become a bigger problem as the number of CHL holders increase.

That is just stupid in a number of ways.

Good thing Williams got arrested - he shouldn't be carrying, much less openly. I really have to wonder what his thought processes were. Did he think he was the only one allowed to carry openly? That he was some kind of LEO? :eek:

Was he delusional? Sure seems that way.

I am glad nobody got shot - anti-gunners would have had a field day with that. :rolleyes:

I am all for the right to carry openly, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. As I have said before, we are our own worst enemy.

I guess Williams excuse will be that he didn't know the law in Georgia had changed to allow unlicensed open carry, on that day no less. That still doesn't give him the right to go asking for permits like a LEO. Hopefully he will lose his right to carry until he learns some self control.

Good thing Williams got arrested - he shouldn't be carrying, much less openly.

Precisely. There are going to be incidents. That is just a matter of fact. Just like there are people that are going to get pulled over when they drive a car. It's just that we shouldn't all suffer for the few dimwits that are out there. It will eventually "slow" as the less prudent are jailed/ loose their guns.

Eagle

What a explitive goofball! Sounds to me like this guy should loose all firearms rights until he is fully investigated! I realize how harsh that seems. I take messing with any persons civil rights most seriously, however!
1. No one knows how close this encounter was to being a tragedy!
2. One way to vett possible wacko's is to take such incidents seriously, as in "Jimmy seemed a little odd when he bought that terrible black rifle and carved all those skulls and the word vengeance all over it." "But we didn't think nothin of it!"
3. This kind of stuff really does make us look bad! It looks bad to moderate voters who hold our rights in their hands (sad to say). I could care less what libs think of us. Their hatred and fear are unreasonable so there's nothing to be done about them (except, possibly, restraining them).:D
OK, rant over! SRG

I guess Williams excuse will be that he didn't know the law in Georgia had changed to allow unlicensed open carry, on that day no less. That still doesn't give him the right to go asking for permits like a LEO. Hopefully he will lose his right to carry until he learns some self control.
I just joined but would like to correct some things in your post. GA does not have unlicensed open carry, and now, with HB 60 in law as of July 1st, LEO cannot ask for for your license just to see if you have one.

Sounds like a douche that couldn't make it as a cop. Grown azz hall monitor with a gun. Probably pulls his weapon on people not following crosswalk signs.

I did not read the article but 'Williams' is the obvious idiot here - and a paranoid, dangerous one. This is an example of what can happen with the proliferation of so many people suddenly getting CHLs and carrying. People start getting paranoid over seeing someone else carrying and for whatever reason feel they 'have' to act out of some bizarre innate need to take control. I would truly like to see this situation addressed because it seems to be one that might not be too popular with the hardcore pro-carry, pro CHL crowd. I am simply stating it could become a bigger problem as the number of CHL holders increase.

I'm confused by your post. Considering the number of 'shall issue' states has grown tremendously since 1990 and considering CHL/CPL licenses have also been on a constant rise since that time, if your theory were to hold true, we should be seeing these types of events all over. But we're not. This is an isolated incident of a man who probably shouldn't own a gun in the first place, crossing the line into LEO territory. It wasn't his job to approach this guy - if he was concerned, he should have called the cops.

But as for proliferation of guns and licenses, all you have to do is look at the stats. Gun sales have been on a steady rise and issuance of permits likewise have been on a steady rise for years. Yet the facts don't support people suddenly becoming paranoid (you are saying it's the CHL folks that are doing that) and pulling their guns on just about anyone - that's just not happening. Be careful what you say here, because your statement sounds very similar to the type of arguments the anti-gun side likes to make - using fear as a tool to get their point across. We need to recognize these types of events for what they are - an isolated incident based around a single individual - hardly a sudden mass panic about people carrying. Now, if you have documentation of any kind showing there is a corresponding increase in events like this with the increase in the issuing of CHL/CPL licenses, then please do share as I'd like to be aware of that myself. So far, I've not seen anything like that.

In ~20 years of having a CHL I can only recall a handful of cases ive read about where I felt the CHL holder was in the wrong. Thing is, if you do something stupid, even just once, with a gun... you probably wont have your chl for very long, so its really not an issue. Something ive always considered a misconception about an armed society is it will turn into a "wild west" situation....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top