JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So here it is. I really enjoy hobbies and getting down to all the interesting aspects of each interest. So with guns I am curious and buy a this and a that. Then I am more educated and decide I really want a XYZ. So I buy an XYZ realizing the this and that I really shouldn't keep. I am not a horder but how do I safely go about getting rid of the "this and that?"

Or the underlying question, "can a man possibly own too many guns?" I am certainly not interested in selling one of my guns to the wrong person. I am also not interested in causing concern with the authorites that I buy many guns and then sell them. I am not a gun dealer! I have had many hobbies and have never had the distress (and responsibility) with reselling old stuff that I have with firearms. How do I responsibly live in this hobby?

This is actually a serious post hoping for real answers as to how I can cycle my interests without having a museum.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

No you can't own too many guns. If you don't like it sell and buy something that fits you better and if someone shady shows up to buy a firearm your are not obligated to sell it or it is your choice to require an background check. The trade opition is a good one and opens your eyes to thing you may not have even know you wanted. I wouldn't worry about the AFT considering you a dealer unless you could live off of what profit you are making off your firearm(s) sales.

I am not a horder but how do I safely go about getting rid of the "this and that?"

Don't. If your personal economy can support it just hang on to what you have. Guns do not depreciate like cars or electronics. For the most part they hold their value and can certainly appreciate in said value. Lock em up, keep em oiled, sell em when you need a large influx of money or find someone looking for exactly what you have in trade for something you want.

I am certainly not interested in selling one of my guns to the wrong person.

Perform your due-diligence. If you're concerned then make every firearms transaction, even local, through an FFL. That way you'll weed out any individuals unable to legally possess a firearm. Beyond that what can you do?

I am also not interested in causing concern with the authorites that I buy many guns and then sell them.

Unless you're buying and selling large lots at once and constantly I think this is a non-issue.

How do I responsibly live in this hobby?

Sounds like you already are.

if you are trying to cut back on the collection and you only want to sell to people that have not had their rights revoked, just ask for CHL or background checks. there are some who would like to buy but dont want to go through the BGC but its entirely your choice. its still not fool proof but if that would make you feel better about selling to people you dont know, go for it. it also makes libs happy too.

if you want though, feel free to just give me any guns you dont want and ill take good care of them :s0155:.

Create some new gun owners! Invite trusted friends and family who may be interested in guns out shooting. If they like it you can sell them your extras for a reasonable price. You get cash and peace of mind knowing they are in the hands of good people, they get a good deal on a good gun and you've contributed to increasing the 2A community.

My personal preference is to not buy guns that I would want to sell. That means being more selective about what I buy, and I have a few specific types/families of firearms that I really like to collect - AKs and SKSes. That means that a lot of my guns share the same parts, accessories, and tools, so I don't end up with a huge pile of random parts and stuff for several unrelated types of guns.

A lot of people like to collect totally random firearms and their associated accessories. IMO this is how you start to spend a lot of money, time, and space when you could consolidate instead and choose to collect only your "favorites" that you will probably never want to part with.

I've only sold guns to friends that I trust for a better than fair price. I like to have a purpose for each gun and don't feel a need to have two .22 rifles or two 9mm handguns for instance. I dabble in prepping so each family member has a gun as well. I'm at the point that if I got a new weapon one would probably get sold. If I sold to a stranger I'd be satisfied with an Oregon DL. and would keep a record of it. I wouldn't mind if I had the money to collect and hold forever a few old military weapons though.

Keep your firearms, all of them. Unless you're selling something to me. :)
But all joking aside, and this has been said on the forum before: its always easier to sell a firearm then to ever buy one.

This meaning, those folks who own awesome rare firearms or great deal firearms or even heirloom firearms have a difficult time finding those same great deal firearms or coming up with the cash to repurchase a once cherished likewise firearm.

If anything Im a womanizer of firearms. Meaning, I purchase one, molest and fire it a few times, clean it, put it in one of the safes then move on to the next lovely lady (which just so happens to be a Yugo M70B1 and a Golani). There are some that ill always go back to and train/play with constantly.. But for the most part I purchase some firearms to fill that little void.. In my safe.. and to scratch that itch. And I've never regretted a single purchase.. Only those Ive sold.

But an above poster had it right, don't purchase totally new platforms that are going to require even more and totally new spare parts and magazines that have nothing in common with what you've already got. It eats up funds and space. Also don't purchase something you're on the fence about. I talk myself out of different toys every week and only purchase things i want or have wanted.

This. All the guns I ever sold, I want back. Never making that mistake again.

All the guns I ever sold, I don't miss at all.

I've been fortunate to only sell guns I didn't need or use like I thought I would. I know many that have sold them because they needed the money and always regret it.

Options for selling guns you no longer want:

• Sell them to a gun store. You will not get top dollar. You could also use them as trade-ins to make something you want at the gun store less expensive.
  • Sell on consignment through a gun store. The gun store will get a commission from your sale, but you keep most of the money. The gun store will perform a background check on the buyer.
  • Sell out-of-state through Gunbroker.com or other online auction sites. If your item is popular/in demand you might get more than selling it locally, less the fees to the auction site. The firearm will be shipped to a FFL in the buyer's state and the FFL will perform a background check.
  • Perform a background check yourself if you sell locally. Oregon requires private sellers at gun shows to perform a background check, but any private seller can use the system voluntarilly for a $10 fee Oregon State Police Firearms Instant Check System (FICS)
  • Require buyers to show a concealed handgun license or FFL, indicating they have passed a background check
  • Sell to trusted relatives or friends that to the best of your knowledge are not prohibited persons

You forgot ceasefire gun buybacks!:s0112:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top