Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sentry gun safe

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by kenf729, Feb 15, 2010.

1. kenf729

kenf729 Forest Grove Oregon Member

Hi guys/gals...

I just bought one, the 10 gun model, just wonering what your thoughts are on this safe...

and second, since this is not a fire safe should I be using a dehumidifier (sp)? for the size, I like it and can be bolted to the floor and small enough to fit in my closet and out of site...

thanks for any input..

Ken

2. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That's a fine entry level safe, definitely bolt it down someplace that's hidden like a closet. It will give you some piece of mind knowing your toys are locked up and someone just cant walk of with, compared to if they were under your bed. If this is your first safe, you will quickly learn that its too small, the number that the gun safe company's give it in my opinion is for very small guns with no scope.

A dehumidifier is up to you , living in forest grove its a toss up but certainly couldn't hurt. While if you lived in the mountains or coast i would highly recommend the dehumidifier. Good luck.

3. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

instead of buying a dehumidifier I just keep throwing silica gel packs inside a cup I have in the safe, dont know if it works or not but I dont have any rust yet haha!

I seem to get a few a month, and I have filled up a plastic party cup almost 3/4 full just of these gel pellets haha!

And yes it will be to small, my 10 gun safe will only hold 8 guns due to the scopes, less if they are older military rifles with the longer bolt handles and such.

I decided that 8 rifles will be more than enough for me, but still doesnt leave me with much room for pistols :(

4. no time

no time Roseburg area Active Member

It will soon be too small...that's just the way it is. Doesn't matter what size safe you get...it's too small. Garages/shops work the same way.:laugh:

When you bolt it into your closet, try to position the safe so that if a guy was trying to pry it open with a prybar, he wouldn't be able to get to the lock side easily.

5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

If you go to a camper/rv shop they used to sell bags of reusable desicant. You just hang it to collect the moisture and stick it in the oven to reactivate it when needed. The safe should not only be bolted to the floor but also to an available stud in the wall. These cheaper safes (thin wall)can be pried from the floor with enough work. when you want to upgrade size I would suggest Costco as they have a 25gun that is fire resistant for $500 it is Winchester brand. Keep the old one for secure ammo storage and plan on saving for a even bigger one. There is maybe only one safe that is big enough for a good sized collection but it was Charlton Hestons.:D

6. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

The sentry model safe is what I use and it has served me very well. I did add a goldenrod and some desiccant packs to keep humidity down. I also remodeled the inside of one of them to accommodate extra handguns.

SAFERACKS.jpg

7. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

Wrong guy listed :D
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/gunvault.asp

But look at the pictures there is not alot of room for new weaponry without reorganization, I think its pretty much filled to the max..

8. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Dixie the gray rebel inspects and approves of my Sentry safe. I think its a good safe if you don't have a huge number of firearms.
    DSC02671.jpg

9. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Playboy... your just an all around Bad A**

10. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

Understatement of the century:bluelaugh:

11. kenf729

kenf729 Forest Grove Oregon Member

Holy handguns batman....that is one well stocked safe!!!!

12. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

This is what mine is currently for.

That is until I find a bigger one I like for the others. Then the Sentry goes to the kid. I have added to the collection since that picture so it's about time to upgrade.

13. jmh119

jmh119 Hillsboro, Oregon Member

I am definitely envious of both PB and deadeye!

14. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

I like mine ($199 @ BiMart); I mounted/bolted it in my spare bedroom closet. It really only holds about seven long guns (AR-15s) and a couple of pistols. For extra pistol storage I mounted a two gun Gun Vault safe on the wall above the Sentry. I plan on buying a larger safe for my garage later.

15. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Daaaayyuumm.... its like you got a pistol for... each hand or sumptin'!! :bluelaugh:

Some dudes have shoe fetishes... PlayboyPenguin has a pistol fetish!! :D

16. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Wow! Over 41 handguns in that safe!

Now thats a collection I could enjoy.:D

17. safooma

safooma Oregon Member

I have a sentry safe like that too...one with a combination/dial lock. Think mine is a 12 gun though(?). Like everyone has said, it will get small soon. I don't think it's possible to have a safe that is too big--partly because it won't just be guns that wind up being stored in it.

Which brings me to a question regarding the combination locks used in these safes--Are they designed to be used all the time, as in several times a day? I ask because since I injured my back again, I have been keeping my prescription pain meds in the lock box in the safe--so they don't wind up in the wrong hands--and my ammo too. This means I get into the damn thing all the time. Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced the locks failing on these.

18. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

I got an eight gun Sentry from Cabelas (I LOVE that the Washington State Legislature has exempted gun safes from sales tax) for just under a C-note. I've got ten long guns in it. Got too small (the day I brought it home?), I got another. Now its full, and I've got two more with no home yet.... I guess the rustly ol Ruger 10/22 will have to move back outside the safe, where it was for years (how it got rusty.. still works perfect, just ugg buttly).

Trouble is, I've got no more space inside the house for another, even a small one, and no secure place outside either... what to do? I'll have to check out that Costco safe.....

as to the combination locks.... if you mean the dial type, where you twizzle that to the assigned numbers.... even a cheap one should last years. Those are an ancient design... goes back a hundred fifty years or so, there is really no wear on the lock parts. If it turns with a bit of smooth resistance, has a "heavy" feel to it yet smooth, it should still be hanging in there for your grandkids' kids. YOU will certainly never wear it out....

19. Taurus 617 CCW

Taurus 617 CCW Northern Idaho Member

If you are going to store long guns in the safe I would recommend getting some silicon gun socks. Not only does it guard against moisture but it also keeps them from getting banged around in the safe. I have the Sentry 16 gun safe model. I have run out of room in mine.

20. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

LOL... poor bunch o' babies... running outta room in your gun safes... tisk, tisk, what's a person to do?! BTW- my safe is bustin' with guns too, I need to upsize!! :laugh: