Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sending the wrong message

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by boarder4life81, May 14, 2012.

1. boarder4life81

boarder4life81 Eugene, Oregon Active Member

So this story Moms March Against Gun Violence | KEZI was only aired on one local news station yesterday and while I am normally a "everyone has a right to their own opinion" kind of guy this group really rubbed me the wrong way. First off I was a junior in high school the year this happened and worked a christmas tree farm with several of the kids that were actually in the cafeteria the morning this tragedy went down. That being said I do have a personal connection to the events of that day. What really angered me was that this group is using a troubled teenager who killed his parents with there own legal firearms and commenced to commit these crimes as an excuse to try and take away law abiding citizens gun rights. This was back in the '90's when the big "no guns in schools" movement was gaining popularity and it got me thinking today. What if there had been no push for gun free school zones and a legal carrier was at the school dropping off their kids when this happened? Could they have done something? If not stop Kip, at least draw his attention from all the unarmed children until police could arrive? Sorry for the rant, back to the point. This group does a lot of double talk to the media to sound innocent or well intending, but listen to this quote given by one of the organizers.

Steffensen said, "The numbers have dwindled and I'm sorry to say that, but the need is still very great to be a responsible gun owner. I don't want to control anything. I want the people who own weapons to unload them and lock them up."

That certainly sounds like they want to control me and my guns. In a critical situation an unloaded, locked up weapon is LESS effective then harsh language.

2. duran21

duran21 Lacey Active Member

sounds like any other gun control nut... dont want to control you but i really want you to lock up that weapon and forget about it (or turn in your gun)

I dont understand this "Gun Free Zone" crap... All the liberals want to do is pass more laws thinking that this next law will prevent tragedies... If some nut job wants to kill people, then why would they listen to some misdemeanor law.

It is sad when shootings happen, but I believe that gun control laws like gun free zone laws only add to the kill count.

3. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

I am a regular KEZI watcher and I saw the story as well. Yes, the responsibility is great for gun owners. It's also great for car owners to be responsible drivers, for parents to be good parents, etc. I guess I am missing the persons point on the responsibility issue. On the notion that "I want the people who own weapons to unload them and lock them up" I would respond that the person can want all they want. They are entitled to their opinion but don't tell me or mandate to me what I can do with my property which includes what state of readiness I keep my guns in. Asking me to keep my guns unloaded and locked up would be like me asking that person to keep their car gas tank empty until they needed to use it.

Riot, duran21, accessbob and 3 others like this.
  4. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

I like your idea..post that comment this way: "I don't want to control anyone's use of an automobile, but I think everyone that has kids should leave their car's gas tank empty and locked in a garage, just-in-case their underage child should decide to take that dangerous weapon for a joy ride."

iusmc2002, pokerace, Kevatc and 11 others like this.
  5. Glockman19

Glockman19 Hillsboro Active Member

:funnypoint:

6. Kevatc

Well said.

7. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

"I dont want to control anyone's consumption of wine, but I think anyone who has kids should keep their wine locked up and seperated from drinking glasses and corkscrews. I also think that we should have background checks and waiting periods for the purchase of wine. And wine should not be sold in 24 ounce "assault bottles", it should only be sold in small 1-glass containers. The average drinker doesnt need that much wine at once, it serves no legitimate social or tasting purpose. These are reasonable, common-sense rules and if they will save the life of one child........'

8. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

anim_puke.gif

anim_puke.gif

9. aslinged

aslinged Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

To the OP, what is your personal connection to the event in question?

10. boarder4life81

boarder4life81 Eugene, Oregon Active Member

"worked a christmas tree farm with several of the kids that were actually in the cafeteria the morning this tragedy went down." I realize this may not seem like much but, having spent hundreds of hours trudging through the mud getting yelled at with these guys formed a real respect for the guys I worked with. We worked several falls as helpers harvesting and springs as stump clearers, before and after the incident.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  11. aslinged

aslinged Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, boarder. I was just curious, as I have a similarly peripheral connection to that event. I agree the honest labor forms strong bonds more often than not.

12. Kevatc

I worked a Thurston High School several years before the shooting. I knew Don Stone who was the football coach and one of the first to respond to the chaos. That's my peripheral connection to the tragedy.