JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just thought I would share the email response I received from Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley regarding the current gun grab efforts. I sent him (along with Sen. Wyden and my rep) a nice, polite message that I did not support restraining my rights because of the actions of a madman all the way across the country. His response shows what we can expect from our "elected" officials in Oregon:

"Dear K----,

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts about events that have recently occurred in Oregon and Connecticut. I have heard from many Oregonians who have shared their thoughts and prayers as we process, both individually and as a nation, what happened and try to heal.

I am deeply saddened by these senseless shootings and the loss of innocent lives. As a parent, I was horrified to learn of these heartbreaking events, and I am at a loss to make sense of it all. Mary and I are holding in our thoughts and prayers the victims, their loved ones, the communities, and all who have been affected by these terrible acts of violence.

The tragedy in Newtown affirms that, as a country, we must no longer accept complacency or the unwillingness to discuss gun violence. Massacres like this have occurred all too often across this country. They raise questions that need thorough examination, including the types of weapons and ammunition, the securing of weapons in the home, the application of background checks, and the accessibility of treatment for mental illness.

I fully support President Obama's call to action to prevent these tragedies from continuing to happen. Furthermore, I plan to work with my colleagues in Congress and engage in productive dialogue to answer the question of what strategies can effectively address the epidemic of gun violence.

Please know that I will keep your views and the memory of the lives lost due to gun violence in mind during these discussions.

Thank you for participating in this national dialogue. I hope you will continue to send your thoughts and observations my way.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator"

I have no doubts that Wyden will fall the same way. What are the chances of gunowners here in Oregon making a difference in their next election? Having worked as an election observer in 2008 I have little confidence in the vote-by-mail system which makes me think that the left will continue their stranglehold on the state regardless of what the citizenry thinks. Will Oregon follow the New York/Illinois/California path?
What say you all? Is it time to move?

I appreciate that you all are willing to take the time to write our reps. However, I truly believe it is a tremendous waste of time (at least here in Oregon). Merkley and Wyden could not care less what 2A fans think because they are beholden to whomever can write the biggest checks to get them re-elected. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you are wrong for taking the time to write them, I just don't think it will do anything.

Just Me, I'm going to disagree with you about our Senators. Oregon is a traditional open-carry state with a large majority of voters favoring 2A. Look at how marginalized Ginny Burdick is compared to the mainstream Legislature!

Today I got a response from Senator Wyden, and it sounded pretty reasonable to me:

Dear Dr. _____:

Thank you for contacting me with your opposition to gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

The recent mass shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School and Clackamas Town Center are tragedies, and as the father of three children under six, I cannot imagine the horror and heartbreak faced by the families of the young victims. Like many Oregonians, I believe in the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. I am also committed to working for a number of policies that will help prevent these tragedies in the future and protect public safety.

First, I hope you can join me in supporting more mental health care services. My late brother Jeff suffered from a serious mental illness. My family was constantly aware of the potential for violence that Jeff's condition presented. As a country it is long past time to prioritize the awareness, diagnosis and treatment of mental health issues. Those with emotional and psychological disorders need our help. It is time to establish, once and for all, a system through which individuals who are found to be a potential threat to themselves or others can receive the treatment that they need. It also means assisting family members, friends, teachers, and other observers--including gun sellers and range owners--when they sense something is amiss and that an individual might need professional help.

Many gun owners already believe that gun rights include responsibilities. I believe gun owners have a responsibility to secure their weapons and prevent illegal use. Gun owners should have the responsibility to demonstrate proficiency with their firearm and familiarity with laws regarding them. In households with unlicensed individuals, gun owners must keep their firearms under lock and key. All owners have the responsibility to ensure that their own sales and transfers are conducted within a system to prevent dangerous individuals from obtaining weapons. Sales or transfers of dangerous weapons should not be conducted outside a well regulated retail system that checks for detailed criminal and mental health history. The federal background check database must be made substantially more accurate and comprehensive. This system must also include legal protection for licensed dealers who refuse a questionable sale.

This is not a simple problem with a single solution. Each solution should balance rights and responsibilities, promote responsible gun ownership and address the woeful lack of mental health services across the nation. I intend to do everything possible to move forward before our nation loses more of our children to yet another tragedy.

I’m grateful for your thoughts on gun ownership and will keep them in mind as we begin the new Congress and debate mental health issues and any gun safety measures. Again, thank you for keeping me apprised of the issues that are important to you. If I may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

He's all about mental-health services, which IMO is the most sensible approach to curbing random violence in our society.

The only part I object to at first glance is a banning of all face-to-face sales by non-FFL's. I think that would not stand up to a Tenth Amendment test.

"I believe gun owners have a responsibility to secure their weapons and prevent illegal use." Mandatory safes in homes, lock boxes in automobiles?

"Gun owners should have the responsibility to demonstrate proficiency with their firearm and familiarity with laws regarding them." Mandatory firearm classes?

"In households with unlicensed individuals, gun owners must keep their firearms under lock and key." Sorta weird...

"All owners have the responsibility to ensure that their own sales and transfers are conducted within a system to prevent dangerous individuals from obtaining weapons." No more FTF?

"Sales or transfers of dangerous weapons should not be conducted outside a well regulated retail system that checks for detailed criminal and mental health history." No more FTF? Mental health evaluation?

"The federal background check database must be made substantially more accurate and comprehensive." No FTF. All firearms exchanges have to go through back ground checks?

Red flags everywhere!!!!!

Wyden has several pro-2a gun owning vets on his staff. I think he is more pro gun than people give him credit for. I will acknowledge that he also has an obligation to his party in a political sense. While he could go against his party usually those individuals are voted out of office. Who knows but, I'd try to keep optimistic about Wyden.

Wyden has several pro-2a gun owning vets on his staff. I think he is more pro gun than people give him credit for. I will acknowledge that he also has an obligation to his party in a political sense. While he could go against his party usually those individuals are voted out of office. Who knows but, I'd try to keep optimistic about Wyden.

I will defer to your knowledge and hope your optimism is well placed. Thanks.

I got the same response from Wyden. I do think the answer is a workable public mental health system. I wouldn't mind a requirement that I use a gun safe. I have a 2 year old and a couple of teenage boys with all kinds of "friends". I wouldn't think of NOT having everything in a safe. Even my HD firearms are in electronic safes, but I have timed it and I can go from dead asleep to firing rounds in about 6 to 8 seconds. My worst nightmare is my 2 year old finding an HD handgun with a chambered round laying around loose, and I'm not too crazy about what happens when those who don't believe in safes have their guns stolen and all of us get blamed for guns being easily available to thieves and murderers. You may not like it, but that's my take on it.

I got the same response from Wyden. I do think the answer is a workable public mental health system. I wouldn't mind a requirement that I use a gun safe. I have a 2 year old and a couple of teenage boys with all kinds of "friends". I wouldn't think of NOT having everything in a safe. Even my HD firearms are in electronic safes, but I have timed it and I can go from dead asleep to firing rounds in about 6 to 8 seconds. My worst nightmare is my 2 year old finding an HD handgun with a chambered round laying around loose, and I'm not too crazy about what happens when those who don't believe in safes have their guns stolen and all of us get blamed for guns being easily available to thieves and murderers. You may not like it, but that's my take on it.

I agree with both ideas.
It’s very important for all of us to keep our firearms out of the wrong hands.
A secure storage system of some sort goes a long way toward that end.

Yeah, and they're not going to demand an inspection of everybody's safe. The point is, after the fact of a stolen or misused firearm, the authorities could cite the negligent owner for improper storage. I'm okay with that.

I just thought I would share the email response I received from Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley regarding the current gun grab efforts. I sent him (along with Sen. Wyden and my rep) a nice, polite message that I did not support restraining my rights because of the actions of a madman all the way across the country. His response shows what we can expect from our "elected" officials in Oregon:

"Dear K----,

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts about events that have recently occurred in Oregon and Connecticut. I have heard from many Oregonians who have shared their thoughts and prayers as we process, both individually and as a nation, what happened and try to heal.

I am deeply saddened by these senseless shootings and the loss of innocent lives. As a parent, I was horrified to learn of these heartbreaking events, and I am at a loss to make sense of it all. Mary and I are holding in our thoughts and prayers the victims, their loved ones, the communities, and all who have been affected by these terrible acts of violence.

The tragedy in Newtown affirms that, as a country, we must no longer accept complacency or the unwillingness to discuss gun violence. Massacres like this have occurred all too often across this country. They raise questions that need thorough examination, including the types of weapons and ammunition, the securing of weapons in the home, the application of background checks, and the accessibility of treatment for mental illness.

I fully support President Obama's call to action to prevent these tragedies from continuing to happen. Furthermore, I plan to work with my colleagues in Congress and engage in productive dialogue to answer the question of what strategies can effectively address the epidemic of gun violence.

Please know that I will keep your views and the memory of the lives lost due to gun violence in mind during these discussions.

Thank you for participating in this national dialogue. I hope you will continue to send your thoughts and observations my way.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator"

I have no doubts that Wyden will fall the same way. What are the chances of gunowners here in Oregon making a difference in their next election? Having worked as an election observer in 2008 I have little confidence in the vote-by-mail system which makes me think that the left will continue their stranglehold on the state regardless of what the citizenry thinks. Will Oregon follow the New York/Illinois/California path?
What say you all? Is it time to move?

I myself got the same "word for word" response from Merkely just today. He's a tool, I always saw him for the tool he was when he ran for the Senate, and this just vindicates my opinion of him.

On another note, a few weeks ago I was standing right accross the street from Sen. Wyden @ the cross-walk on SW 5th & Everette in Portland. He was on his way to a speaking engagement at the Portland Development Commission (how I know all of that is of no consequence... LOL). I was armed with my Glock-30 and he had absolutely no personal security with him, but SOMEHOW my Glock managed not to empty itself into his head. Amazing, huh?

,,,Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and "Only Reason" anybody has for taking "Your Guns" away is to make you "WEAKER" than he is, So he can do something "To You" or "Make YOU" do something that you would'nt allow him or Her to do if you were Armed to prevent it. This goes for Burglers, Muggers, Rapists, and even more so for "POLICE, BUREAUCRATS, BANKERS, and POLITICIANS.

Remember the one and only difference between a free man and a SLAVE is the Right to Own a GUN. and once you give up that Right, you are a "SLAVE"

Every intrusion into our lives and every slight modification to our God given rights leads to more. The camel is in the tent, never mind his nose.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top